Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

FS: Mint 2002 Convertible, 42Kmi Auto,$13500, CA

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 04:42 PM
kpluck
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking car…surprised it hasn't sold yet.

-kp
Old 06-20-2019, 11:16 PM
greggsmith
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me too. Can't figure out why there aren't even any offers. The car looks better in person than in the photos. What I would like to know is, what price it would sell for, if any. My credit union (Coast Hills Federal) appraised it for a loan at $17,766 yesterday. I think I may be finding that a showroom stock condition low mileage C5 convertible is not what Corvette enthusiasts are looking for. Pics have been looked at over two thousand times here and on Hemmings. Anybody have any idea what would be the right price to get it sold?
Thanks,
Gregg
Old 06-20-2019, 11:28 PM
craig1952
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Maybe 13,500. C5’s seem to be soft. I’m on Craigslist looking every day. There is a 57,000 mile FRC for 12,500 locally that’s been on there for 23 days. I would think a person could drive your car with minimal repairs for 4-5 years and still get 10k out of it. Also the tax laws changed on 2nd mortgages. The interest isn’t deductible anymore. That fueled a lot of toys paid for by them.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:21 AM
greggsmith
Advanced

Thank you. That is the kind of input I am looking for. I really appreciate it!
Gregg
Old 06-21-2019, 02:52 AM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

It’s tough to say what price will sell the car. Clearly a buyers market for C5’s. Your Corvette is at/near a very appealing price point for any enthusiast and like others have posted, I’m really surprised you haven’t had any offers. As a side note, a Moderator can change the thread title to reflect your updated asking price. That might help your efforts.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:37 PM
greggsmith
Advanced

Hi again Mickey,
Thanks for the info. How do I ask the moderator to change the thread title to $14,000?
Much appreciated,
Gregg
Old 06-21-2019, 05:27 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

^^^^^

Just PM one of the Moderators listed at the bottom of the “C5 Corvettes For Sale” thread and they can make the title change for you. WOW, $14k - - - a great deal just got even better!!

Last edited by Mickeyrx70; 06-21-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:36 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

Where else do you have it advertised?

I'm currently shopping but have only looked here, AutoTrader and local CL ads.

If your car was a stick shift I'd be talking to you as I think your car is super clean and nice but not sure if I'd be happy with an automatic car. I'm sure if you keep lowering your price you will find a buyer (maybe even me if it is low enough!) but would hate to see you have to "give it away".

Maybe being way out in Lompoc isn't helping you any. Have you put it in LA or even Ventura County CL?

I think a lot of guys are looking for a stock, unmolested car rather than big power modified cars so I don't think that is an issue. How long has it been listed? Maybe you are just being a little impatient? Again, your location may be hindering buyers from wanting to take a look at it but for the right buyer to come along sometimes takes a while. If I were closer (I'm near Reno, NV) I might be inclined to test drive it just to see if I'd like an auto car.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:43 PM
greggsmith
Advanced

Don't feel comfortable with CL. Trying to stay with somewhat of an enthusiast group of folks who know Vette's, at least to some extent. I suggest you try an automatic, one of the later years with the full 350 HP and the aluminum front suspension components that came on line in 2002. Hit the loud pedal in any gear and it will absolutely shoot you ahead. To me at least, the AT makes it much more enjoyable than deciding which gear to grab when you are ready to boogie. But to each his or her own of course. The AT was a no brainer for me with 350 HP and 350 foot pounds of torque at low RPM. Try to find one to test drive that is as new as possible so you can find out what a correct car is like. Try to find a car with no mods or personalization of any kind if you can. Many C5's have been messed with by now. It will give you the best representation of what to expect. Then do a comparo with a manual and decide for yourself. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Gregg
Old 06-21-2019, 11:51 PM
greggsmith
Advanced

Thanks AGAIN Mickey! I sent a request to show $14,000.
Gregg
Old 06-22-2019, 01:20 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,225 Likes on 13,932 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Price changed to reflect the $14K number.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:23 AM
greggsmith
Advanced

Thank you sir.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:56 AM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by greggsmith
Don't feel comfortable with CL. Trying to stay with somewhat of an enthusiast group of folks who know Vette's, at least to some extent. I suggest you try an automatic, one of the later years with the full 350 HP and the aluminum front suspension components that came on line in 2002. Hit the loud pedal in any gear and it will absolutely shoot you ahead. To me at least, the AT makes it much more enjoyable than deciding which gear to grab when you are ready to boogie. But to each his or her own of course. The AT was a no brainer for me with 350 HP and 350 foot pounds of torque at low RPM. Try to find one to test drive that is as new as possible so you can find out what a correct car is like. Try to find a car with no mods or personalization of any kind if you can. Many C5's have been messed with by now. It will give you the best representation of what to expect. Then do a comparo with a manual and decide for yourself. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Gregg

Hi Gregg. I certainly understand your concern with CL. All the scams and flakes make it a pain but sometimes you have to deal with the bad to get the good buyers. I think you will miss out on potential buyer by excluding it.

I hear what you are saying on the automatic cars. A Corvette for me will fulfill two main purposes. First, as a GT car taking long trips to CO, throughout the west and a trip around the country this fall. An automatic car would fit the bill nicely for that purpose. Second as a sports car to drive the incredible twisty roads we have in the Sierras. This is where the manual shines over the auto. Now if the C5's had paddle shifters like they did with the C6 then I'd be more interested. That way you can keep the engine in the proper power band range without having the trans kick down or up on its own.

You are right about driving one though. The problem is I don't think any seller is going to let me take their car for a very spirited drive on the back roads.

Anyway, I'm sure your car will sell but you may just have to wait a bit for the right buyer.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:41 PM
greggsmith
Advanced

Many Thanks Chili,
Good thoughts - good perspective. Much appreciated.
Gregg
Old 06-24-2019, 10:26 AM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Bump it .....
Old 06-24-2019, 03:56 PM
greggsmith
Advanced

Hey Mickey--Mucho appreciated....
The response to my ads so far reminds me of that old country song, "If the phone don't ring, you'll know it's me."
Old 06-24-2019, 09:53 PM
goin camping
Cruising

Your car looks fantastic and is right about what I want. Price is great too.

Lompoc is a long way from the Mojave Desert and I'd hate to drive up there to be disappointed and the logistics of getting it back to the ranch.

Get notified of new replies

To Mint 2002 Convertible, 42Kmi Auto,$13500, CA

Old 06-24-2019, 11:43 PM
greggsmith
Advanced

I know how you feel. It took me a couple of years and a lot of looking to find one this nice. If you would like to talk about it, you can give me a call and maybe we could figure something out. You can reach me @ 805 291 9915. Tomorrow, 6/25, is my wife's birthday though, and I would rather not talk about it then. If you do decide to call, please make it between 11AM and 5PM PST on a different day. I would truly be surprised if you were disappointed. But of course, I don't know what your standards are, and superlatives are always subjective. A detailed conversation might be something worthwhile if you wish. BTW, I want to keep the jacket in the photos for someone who has done some nice things for me lately.
All the best,
Gregg
Old 06-25-2019, 12:40 AM
goin camping
Cruising

From the pictures and description the car is stunning and I want it.

What worries me is the drivers seat and my back. Broke it in six places and it is a bit difficult to keep happy.

Think I'll find a local C5 and go sit in it.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:36 AM
greggsmith
Advanced

Try to make sure that you find a car with the Sport Seat option and that they are fully functional. They are the seats that are six way power adjustable and have memory settings. Those are the seats that are in my car. They have multiple lumbar, fore and aft, up and down, and side bolster adjustments. That way, you can make an accurate assessment with regard to your comfort. You can use the pictures of my seats for reference.

Quick Reply: FS: Mint 2002 Convertible, 42Kmi Auto,$13500, CA