Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

FS: FS 2002 C5 manual trans 98Kmi $9900 in L.A.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 06:49 PM
bitdreamer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS 2002 C5 manual trans 98Kmi $9900 in L.A.

Corvette for sale. 2002 (C5) 'electron' blue with manual transmission, 98Kmi. in Los Angeles (S. Pasadena). $9900.

I got it in Virginia in 2013 for $20K, 45Kmi. At the time, I needed to live more boldly, and this car helped me step up. But I got what I needed, and now I have a family, so it's time to let it go, maybe to you? This car drives great. If you want to assert yourself, here you go.

Here's the good and the bad about it, first the good:
-- Roof panel comes off and tucks in the back, for that convertible feel.
-- recently replaced window motors (~2 years ago).
-- recently replaced headlight flippers (~3 years).
-- frozen hip joint replaced, suspension smooth now
-- tires have a mere 5 Kmi on them, are in good shape.
-- coolant pump recently replaced (6 months).
-- AC works. Radio is fine. Leather interior is all good.
-- It passed CA 'smog' inspection a few weeks ago.
-- I nursed 30MPG out of it the day I brought it home (not kidding), but ... that will depend on how boldly you drive.

Known quirks or problems
-- It's pretty after a good wash, but it does have some scratches, a little patch of pealing of the clear-coat around the back window, right side, a ding by the driver door. From the pictures you can see it looks good, but up close it's not perfect.
-- the emergency flasher button is jammed. It a cheap part, of course, but it's not easy to get to (so I haven't).
-- right front tire monitor is not happy. I replaced it recently but the dealer couldn't get it programmed. You'll have to watch that tire manually. Note: the tires hold air ... I don't usually have to add any between oil changes. The other 3 tires pressure sensors work, by the way. Oh, and some times this causes a warning to check the tire pressure system -- easy to cancel/reset.
-- It usually takes an extra quart of oil between oil changes. And I add coolant occasionally.
-- There is supposedly a leak in the exhaust manifold (gasket). I can't hear it, and it has never caused problems that I know of.
-- It has a new battery now, but when the battery nears end of life, you'll get a warning to service the steering column lock. Don't be fooled -- there's nothing wrong with the steering column lock as far as I can tell. So just reset it when it starts popping up, and get a new battery when you get tired of hitting reset.
-- There's a feature called "1 to 4" that makes the shift go to 4th gear when you are trying to put it in 2nd gear. It does this only at a certain low acceleration, when the car thinks you're not asking for enough torque to deserve 2nd gear. And there's even a light on the dashboard saying when it happens, so this is not a glitch in this car, I swear, somebody at Chevy actually designed it this way. Anyway, you can avoid it by not being a *****-foot in 1st gear, or by a slight tweak in your shifting (I can show you). There's also apparently a bypass the dealer can install (for <$200) to disable it, but I just got used to avoiding it. It's no biggie, but I thought I'd let you know.
-- While I'm on shifting, there is supposed to be a stop in the shifter to keep you from trying to put it in reverse at 60mph. This stop is gone, so when you are going for 5th gear, it's just a little nudge right of center, rather than going right as far as it will let you. And to be sure, I missed a couple of times at first, without blowing the car up, but you'll want to watch it. Just letting you know.
-- the driver seat has a control panel on the left side. The controls work, but the panel itself is loose, as is the seat back lever. This never causes me trouble, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Well, that's it for condition. Regarding the price, it seems like a good deal, and I've had one nibble so far. But sure, if it doesn't sell in a couple weeks, I'll consider taking less. If. RE the actual sale process, let me know if you want to come have a look / do a test drive. For the actual transaction, I would meet you with it at your bank, you get a cashier's check, and I sign over the title (no liens). The plates can stay on it. I believe this is all standard procedure for the Forum here, nothing tricky. I can't ship it , cash your government check, deliver to 3rd party, etc..

Vroom vroom, can you hear your foot on this gas pedal?

Barry. barrett.koster@gmail.com

These things age pretty well, no?

It's low and fast, what can I say?
Old 06-29-2019, 12:41 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The coolant may just be a weeping water pump gasket, common.
qt between oil changes is normal, good luck
Mine was a oil burner from new hasnt gotten any worse in 17 yrs
Old 07-03-2019, 10:26 PM
bitdreamer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This car is sold.

I just sold this tub. If I can figure out how to delete this thread I will, but ... in any case, never mind. This car is gone.
Barry
Old 07-03-2019, 11:56 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Car sold, thread closed.

Get notified of new replies

To FS 2002 C5 manual trans 98Kmi $9900 in L.A.

Quick Reply: FS: FS 2002 C5 manual trans 98Kmi $9900 in L.A.