Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

Questions on long distance deal.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Gurnard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on long distance deal.

Hey gang,

(Posting here for experienced buyers and sellers to see.)

Planning to buy my 1st Vette in a couple weeks/months (depending on how rough the tax man treats me). I have never purchased (an expensive) car from a private party so all financing/paperwork has been completed fairly easily.

Anyway, I’ve been watching the sales here and on a couple other sites and have seen MANY beautiful/interesting cars. BUT, having never done a long distance deal…I’m a little unsure on the process. The thread on “…advice on selling my ’98…” touched on it but…

Say I’m in Tennessee and find an interesting car in Oregon. Now, having never actually seen the car I think the negotiation process would be a little tough. Try to beat down the price on a car you haven’t seen/driven?

Flying out to drive the car home sounds like the trip of a lifetime but you have no assurances that the car is what the owner claims. Wasted trip? If you are able to cut a deal how, exactly, do you get a title from an individual? Maybe I’m not as trusting as some but making a $30k sight unseen deal then shipping a used car is just out of the question.

So, assuming we clear all these hurdles, can an individual get a temporary tag? I certainly wouldn’t want to drive 2000 miles without tags and insurance.

I suppose I could wait for just the right car at the right price in the right area…but once I give myself the green light eliminating “just the right area” should put me in a car a lot quicker.

Thanks in advance.

Keith
Old 12-23-2004, 11:15 AM
judge09
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keith,
You have some valid concerns. First off buying the car sight unseen is a risk. Obviously never sign anything before seeing the car. You can agree to the price contigent on the condition and if you see something you dont like walk away. Wasting $200 on a plane ticket is better than wasting $30,000 on a car you dont want. Get pictures of as much as you can or try to get a local guy here on the forum to help you out and inspect/test drive the car. There are alot of good people on here that would do that.

Your other question on getting the car home, your insurance company and can give you a 30 day window from when they insure your car to when it needs to be inspected. So insurance wise you can be covered driving home with a simple phone call. The temporary plates is something that is done quite often. I am sure the procedure varies state to state. But on my out of state car purchases (in PA) I was issued temporary plates and temp inspection at the DMV in the town i bought the car. Ofcourse the other option is shipping the car. In that instance the insurance company carries the burden of getting the car to you safe. Ofcourse finding a car locally and inspecting yourself or with your trusted mechanic is the safest way but it might be a longer search. Good luck
Old 12-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

It's scary buying a car without first seeing it.
There are inspection companies that will (for a fee), inspect a car and send you a complete report. At least that is from some disinterested party.
After getting the report, you can then, depending on what they find wrong with the car, negotiate price.
Temp tags are usually available at local DMV offices. You can always take the tag off your car, and use it to drive the new one home. Most insurance companies allow this, but check with yours first.
You would be a lot better finding one locally, but it is possible to find/inspect one in another state too.
Good luck in your search.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on long distance deal.

Quick Reply: Questions on long distance deal.