C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STS Twin Tubro Kit (Info Only)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 03:23 PM
dvldoc
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear STS is testing out a new alky controller out next week to use with their kits
Old 09-10-2005, 03:57 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

It almost looks like you could take some stock mufflers...cut them up and gut them...and hang them in the stock positions for the purposes of protecting the turbos and for stealth.. You could even cut slots in the front and back of them so that you would still have air flow through to keep the turbos nice and cool while providing a good amount of protection.....just a thought
Old 09-10-2005, 04:05 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Yes STS has a sequential methanol controller that i also have on order, i believe it is already developed. And yes the idea of gutting stock muffleler was brought up before im sure that could be done and fabebd up no problem. I cant believe my thread got a sticky! I was scrolling down looking for it and i was like where did it go THen i saw it, thanks for whoever did that.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:07 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by houston-z06
I am picking up my car today or Monday from MTI, got a forged 383, rebuilt tranny, racetronix fuel pump, KB BAP, hardened half-shaft, RD radiator with EOC, etc etc etc.

I paid for my TT intercooled kit, along with 60# injectors July 05.

Kit is shipping next week from Utah to Nelson Performance in San Antonio Texas who will do the install and tune. I will take lots of digital photos, dyno sheets also and post up here on the board.

Thanks
Jason
Awesome Jason, do you know if your kit is going to be one of the prototype kits or like the production one I have on order? That thing is going to be a rocket! Keep us posted.

Old 09-10-2005, 05:54 PM
dvldoc
5th Gear

Originally Posted by NAVY08
Yes STS has a sequential methanol controller that i also have on order, i believe it is already developed. And yes the idea of gutting stock muffleler was brought up before im sure that could be done and fabebd up no problem. I cant believe my thread got a sticky! I was scrolling down looking for it and i was like where did it go THen i saw it, thanks for whoever did that.
Actually they've just been using a adjustible boost switch and a relay for there current activation systems. system. That's why they are doing a upgrade to a new digital progressive unit.

(The system is tuneable and adjustable) via pump pressure and turn-on point of the pressure switch. I'd call Mike from STS and see about getting a progressive controller with your kit.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:39 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Thanks for all the information. Hopefully someone can come along and answer all the questions the members have regarding the kit.

VR
Old 09-11-2005, 11:33 AM
houston-z06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Awesome Jason, do you know if your kit is going to be one of the prototype kits or like the production one I have on order? That thing is going to be a rocket! Keep us posted.

The kit will be one of the first production kits, I am calling Dave South, VP Sales - STS on Monday to get a confirmation on what day this week the kit is shipped out to Nelson Performance in San Antonio
Old 09-11-2005, 01:21 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Awesome, good luck and keep us posted, Im in the navy and ill be doing my install myself on my free time 'round thanksgiving so i think yours will be up and running before mine. From what I was told that my kit will ship with the first kits on the 26th, I'm assuming including yours and mine. Any one a turbo expert and can answer the ball bearing question? Im still looking for that one.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Aikidostudent
Heel & Toe

I'm Back,

Was booted now back, I am to call Brady at STS monday and find out if the turbo's for the c'5 are ball bearing or not. And the upgrade ones are to.

I should be getting one of the first pre-production kits here in a week or two and I'll will be taking photo's and whatnot and giving info about how the install and tune went.

Can't wait I feel the need for speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Plus I getting ready to be a paid sponsor here 2.

Hey mod's not trying to advertise, just chatting and by the way Jim thanks for the let back in seeyaaaaaaa
Old 09-11-2005, 05:11 PM
SS930
Burning Brakes

Guys,
I seriously doubt the turbos are dual ball bearing units. BB turbos are very expensive ($1300+ each), I highly doubt STS would use them. I'm sure STS could supply you with whatever turbos you want for an additional cost. BB turbos do spool a little quicker, but I'm not sure the advantage is worth the cost. BTW, many BB turbos need to be water cooled as well (the STS systems are not).

Regarding the muffler question, anything you place before the turbos which alters exhaust pressure (cats, mufflers...) WILL effect the turbos ability to spin. The more restriction (less flow), the less the turbos will perform. I'm sure adding a set of mufflers before the turbos will noticably effect lag (in a bad way), but it might be fairly insignificant... I'd guess they would spool a few hundred rpms later.

Running no mufflers or cats just using the turbos is loud! Turbos do quite things down, but I cam promise you it will make some noise!!! The larger the turbos, the louder it is.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Simply an educated guesstimaton here... Using the power level shown on the 2004 Z06 dyno graph, I conservatively set my simulation program to 590bhp and 560tq. The result it predicts for that car in 1/4 mile on street tires is 11.4@129mph. That's haulin! The same car without turbo is simulated at 12.6@115mph. So I'm thinkin the prediction is pretty good at least for the MPH. I like it! I know my clutch would not last long with that power...
Old 09-11-2005, 05:27 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Loud, yes I love loud! My last car that i sold to buy my Vette was a 2002 subaru WRX catless and with straight thhrough muffelers. I know it was a ricer, but i saw the light and came to american mussle. I love turbo's because of their power adding ability and powercurve, I drove one of thoes turboed PT cruisers, and even that thing had some kick! I didnt know that about BB turbos, its good to always learn more, and yes you can order upgraded turbos. Who knows alot about wastegates and blow off valves?
Old 09-11-2005, 05:29 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Default Cluch

Yeah, im definately gonna need a new cluch soon. Untill them, jsut no high rpm drops. What program were you using? and what numbers would it predict from a stock C5?
Old 09-11-2005, 05:41 PM
AndrewZ
Advanced

Last edited by AndrewZ; 09-11-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Aikidostudent
Heel & Toe

Default clutch

Yes i might need a new heavy duty clutch to soon I am not carefull.

Was wondering if the 6psi kit is giving 535rwhp then what does equate to under the hoodpower.

And they say the most boost the stock bottom end can handle is up to 7-8 psi maybe 9 psi, wonder how more horsethat is?????????
Old 09-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Yeah, im definately gonna need a new cluch soon. Untill them, jsut no high rpm drops. What program were you using? and what numbers would it predict from a stock C5?
It's an old DOS shareware version of this:

cartest

For a C5 M6 Coupe it says 13.6@106. That's exactly what I ran in my only outing with my previous 1998 M6 coupe. But they don't have a dyno graph for turbo LS1 on the STS website...

Old 09-11-2005, 06:18 PM
SS930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AndrewZ
"many BB turbos need to be water cooled as well (the STS systems are not)."- SS930

That is completely false...

I have been in the turbo arena for a very long time..Owned a 300zx TT(450rwhp) before my ZO6 as well as a couple other turbo cars..I have never seen ANY of the newer ball bearing turbos water cooled..

I read these STS threads and have to laugh at all the misinformation flying around..
False? Misinformation?

Ever hear of a company called GARRETT??? When it comes to dual BB turbos they are the leader!

The cartridge assembly in Garrett dual row ball bearing configuration is most definitely water cooled. The ball bearing design reduces the required amount of oil to provide adequate lubrication. This lower oil volume reduces the chance for seal leakage. Also, the ball bearing is more tolerant of marginal lube conditions, and diminishes the possibility of turbocharger failure on engine shut down. Because the oil supply is limited for these units, they have to be water cooled. All of the Garrett GT series turbos utilize a water cooled bearing housing. A constant supply of water must be plumbed to the 14mmx1.5 threaded holes front and rear.

There are three common types of bearings for the turbocharger. They are: Garrett Ball Bearing, Turbonetics Ceramic Roller Thrust Bearing, and conventional floating bearing.

Turbonetics Ceramic Roller Thrust Bearings are a form of what some call BB turbos. These units use the ceramic roller bearing on the compressor side and a conventional floating bearing on the turbine side. The bearings are called ball bearings by Turbonetics, but that is for marketing reasons... they are not true dual BB certer sections (unless they've changed this VERY recently). The original intent was to create a stronger thrust bearing to improve durability on large diameter compressors. The Turbonetics style is said to handle 50X the thrust load of a conventional bearing vs the Garrett Dual BB of about 2X the load of a conventional bearing. However, even some of turbonetics "ball-bearing" turbos arn't considered a true ball bearing by some.

The Garrett DBB is the true BB turbo and IS water cooled. Just wanted to clear up any "misinformation".

Last edited by SS930; 09-11-2005 at 06:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To STS Twin Tubro Kit (Info Only)

Old 09-11-2005, 06:20 PM
SS930
Burning Brakes

Who knows alot about wastegates and blow off valves?
What do you need to know?
Old 09-11-2005, 08:40 PM
1 Nasty Z
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=AndrewZ]3 questions..

Are the charge pipes still routed under the front a-arms as seen in previous pics?

This is the biggest problem I have with the system.
My car is just too low for this set-up.
Too bad they could'nt be routed into the engine compartment. I would then be all over this.

Here is another view.

Let us know for sure that this is still the same. I know they changed the routing for the rear A-arms.
Troy
Old 09-11-2005, 09:09 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I know the second picture is one of the origonal prototype before they routed over the fromt wheel wells, look the pictures on STS's website or email me and ill send you the specifit one, but i will see ifi can get than answered for you.

ok so are all BOV mounting flandes universal? For example the kit comes with a TIal BOV, but I had the TurboXS RFL BOV on my WRX and I loved the sound of it, any chance that they will fir the same hole?

AWesome job clearing the BB turbo information up, SS390, We need guys like you tl help us with numbers and specs and what it all really means. How do you know all this?

Quick Reply: STS Twin Tubro Kit (Info Only)