C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best clutch????????

Old 10-20-2005, 09:38 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Best clutch????????

Okay people - let's hear it! I'm taking the car back to LPE to upgrade my boost controller and a few other things - one of which is to ditch this POS Luk Pro Gold clutch for one that can hold the power.

LPE is saying Exceedy Twin Disc. I'm thinking Textralia but of course, I'm just an ignorant fool! Tell me if the Exceedy is a good clutch in your experience or if it is a wrong turn. I really don't feel like doing another clutch, so I want this one to be "THE ONE".

Cmon FI freaks - hook a brotha UP!!
Old 10-20-2005, 09:52 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Exedy Twin. It is holding up just fine with my TT setup. I don't slip it at the track and when I do drag race I let the car cool down for a while in between runs. Maybe that's the secret. Can't say.

What is wrong with your boost controller?

Mark
Old 10-20-2005, 10:08 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mdhmi
I love my Exedy Twin. It is holding up just fine with my TT setup. I don't slip it at the track and when I do drag race I let the car cool down for a while in between runs. Maybe that's the secret. Can't say.

What is wrong with your boost controller?

Mark

If you don't slip it at the track, then your 60 ft times must be abysmal! I have the apexi - it is fine when it is off! When on, it likes to let the boost fly by the preset level if you're hooking the power - I hit 20 psi more than a couple of times. If you baby it as you get into the boost and back pedal, then it will settle into the preset level - which is how I hit 200 mph when I was testing it - but it is hyper annoying - you're trying to go fast, it overshoots the boost level, you back out, then squeeze the throttle ever so slowly. In short - Apexi BLOWS! It is pretty though!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:17 PM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exedy.....

Where do I start...

Some hold, some dont..mine held over 700 to the tires without a problem. Others have not been so lucky.

As Dirty Hairy asked

"Feeling lucky, Punk?"

Phil
Old 10-20-2005, 10:20 PM
1%r
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

Ran my Aussie @ 15 psi 3 times @ the track no issues.
Around 3K on it now and still looking good.

It seems like a crap shoot when it comes to clutches.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:20 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

You're right - my 60's aren't great, but, I also haven't broken anything all season. I don't have the budget to replace the clutch, differential, or trans multiple times per year (which is the case for some of the drag racers on the board).

Yikes - that ABC does sound like crap. A boost spike like that can break things big time.

FWIW, I haven't had any problems with the Blitz. I keep it set at 10.5 lbs and it's very steady.

Good Luck,

Mark
Old 10-20-2005, 10:21 PM
Earl H
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Whatever you do...don't buy the Exedy. Many people will recall the problems that I had with my Twin Disk Exedy (burnt up on the dyno). I went thru quite a bit getting a replacement. To their credit they did give me a warranty replacement. While waiting for the warranty replacement, I decided to rebuild my McCleod Street Twin and install it and use the Exedy as a spare. Well, my wife forced a bit of a parts sale this year and I ended up selling it a pretty significant discount. I didn't even take it out of the original UPS shipping box. Well, I get a call about 3 weeks ago for the buyer. Guess what, it didn't last for one track trip. And the kicker is, the guy is running NA, w/o NOS. I wouldn't put an Exedy twin in my car if they gave it to me. For guys considering their triple. I'd save my $3+k until a few other guinea pigs have tried it first.

Exedy =
Old 10-20-2005, 10:27 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

If it comes down to spending another $3K on drive line components I'll be real tempted to switch to an A4.

Mark
Old 10-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 431 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadRebel
Exedy.....

Where do I start...

Some hold, some dont..mine held over 700 to the tires without a problem. Others have not been so lucky.

As Dirty Hairy asked

"Feeling lucky, Punk?"

Phil
Dirty Harry...sorry it's my favorite movie...and one of the reason I quit being a Peace Officer.

But on to the topic.

I can't believe I'm doing this but I am going to recommend the SPEC Stage IV or V. They have seemed to do very well with the FBody guys pushing hi power at the track. I can't say how well mine works at the track yet, but it has held up really well on the street launches and excessive dyno sessions.

The OZ clutches seem to be popular right now..but I remember when all anybody could talk about was the Exedy....and now look.

The McGleod Dual Disk is an awesome clutch...heavy pedal though...at least the 1 vehicle I tried with one...but I could get used to it if I had it.

Going back to the SPEC. I have the SPEC IV..and it is an engaged or not engaged clutch...there is no slipping and they are known to chatter when being broke in...or even after.

Optic launched hard enough with a SPEC V to get into the 9's with a 346cid D1 Procharged car. He told me that is what he liked to use...I guess so! But that was awhile back..could have changed by now.

Anyway good luck.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:48 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Damn!!! Lots of great responses - thanks for taking the time guys, I really appreciate it. Seems like everyone has had different results across the board. It is amazing that there is no concensus on which clutch is best. DAMN C5 POS!!! Anybody guess what clutch/flywheel/tranny/rear end I run in my ZR-1? 565 rwhp, 483 rwtq, many trips down the drag strip with lots of slipping the clutch - holds no problem! Which one you ask? STOCK! Bone dead stock! I've upgraded the clutch in the C5, the output shafts, and it still won't hold low boost. Only thing I've done to the Z is put in the Hurst. Sorry for the rant!
Old 10-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

East Coast SC recommends and pretty much has been using the stage III RPS single disc clutch and i hav been really happy with it after almost 2000 miles on my car. Feels like stock after you get use to it and so far so good!!! May wan to call DOUG or CHRIS at ECS and get more info on the RPS clutch which is supposse to be me much more street friendly then some of the other clutches mentioned here!
Old 10-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Earl H
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
East Coast SC recommends and pretty much has been using the stage III RPS single disc clutch and i hav been really happy with it after almost 2000 miles on my car. Feels like stock after you get use to it and so far so good!!! May wan to call DOUG or CHRIS at ECS and get more info on the RPS clutch which is supposse to be me much more street friendly then some of the other clutches mentioned here!
While I don't have any experience with the RPS clutch, the guys on the Viper Board have reported a lot of problems with the RPS clutches. Not a C5 but just wanted to make you aware so that you can do a bit more digging on that setup.

Blown... this isn't meant to discount ECS or you, but at one point Andy at A&A was selling Exedy clutches. At the time, they seemed great. After all the issues (maybe quality control, due to the varied results) I'm not sure that he is pushing them anymore.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:15 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06

Thanks man - a vote for RPS stage III! Have you had her to the drag-strip? Can you slip this clutch no problemo?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Textralia Clutch here. She's holding up fine..
Old 10-20-2005, 11:43 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vince99FRC
Textralia Clutch here. She's holding up fine..

Any track time? Have you hit it with both shots of nitrous a few times? How long have you had it in?
Old 10-21-2005, 12:37 AM
Earl H
Melting Slicks

Default RPS Post (Viperalley)

http://www.viperalley.com/showflat.p...t/1#Post577279

Once example of RPS clutch issues
Old 10-21-2005, 12:58 AM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Yuck. That type of customer service would seriously concern me as a prospective customer.

Selecting a clutch is tricky business. There are both success and failure stories for every clutch on the market.

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Best clutch????????

Old 10-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Earl H
at one point Andy at A&A was selling Exedy clutches. At the time, they seemed great. After all the issues (maybe quality control, due to the varied results) I'm not sure that he is pushing them anymore.
Too funny, i remember this time frame, it was like Andy went from Excedy to some other company to Rps to the Aussie. I had already ordered my Excedy when I started reading all the issues with them. The guys at Excedy said they would return my money if the clutch didnt hold up and then they stop returning IMs and emails. So I gave that clutch to my brother and got the Aussie. It has performed very well. You can slip it a bit, and it holds great.
Rumor has it they are working on a new dual disc clutch to hold over 1000HP!!!!

Oh Customer service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter should write a book on it. He knew I was doing the TTix kit, and he would call or email weekly on the status of the build up. Once I started getting miles on the car he called to see how it was working, once I went to the track he called to see how everything worked and was holding up. Just amazing people for sure!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Any track time? Have you hit it with both shots of nitrous a few times? How long have you had it in?
I am not going to the track until I get a DTE Strut brace and hardened output shafts. I have hit it with two small stages, but not with the 100/100 yet. I am sure it will hold. On the street I hit it with 100/50 and it held like a champ and I can tell you the little 50 felt almost like the first 100. What I did was hit the highway and put it in 4th and floored it at 2500rpm. First stage came on at 3200rpm and the second stage came on at 4800rpm. It felt great!!!!
Old 10-21-2005, 09:42 AM
xlr8shn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RAM 980 VDS or RAM 910 VDS system with alum flywheel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best clutch????????