C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mag equipped & oil seeping passed oil pan plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 10:41 PM
TriniJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Mag equipped & oil seeping passed oil pan plug

Since the mag was installed, oil is blowing passed the oil pan plug. I replaced the oil pan plug, torque the bolt to the recommended spec & I am still having the oil blow by. Will a oil catch can relieve the pressure? Has anyone else experienced this issue? Could it be my second oil pan plug is also defective? There is always a puddlle of oil on my garage floor under the oil pan and it is definitely seeping pass the oil pan plug, even though the oil plug is tight.

Last edited by TriniJoe; 02-18-2006 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:55 PM
FunCool
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TriniJoe
Since the mag was installed, oil is blowing passed the oil pan plug. I replaced the oil pan plug, torque the bolt to the recommended spec & I am still having the oil blow by. Will a oil catch can relieve the pressure? Has anyone else experiemce this issue? Could it be my second oil pan plug is also defective? There is always a puddlle of oil on my garage floor under the oil pan and it is definitely seeping pass the oil pan plug, even though the oil plug is tight.
How many miles on the motor, and boost level?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:03 PM
TriniJoe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FunCool
How many miles on the motor, and boost level?
Miles on motor about 21,000.
If I remember correctly, it appears that it started when I switched to the 3.2 pulley with boost level about 7.5.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

My bet the pan is cracked possibly due to over torquing the pan bolt. Pan drains don't leak due to boost conditions... ESPECIALLY from a Magnuson.
Your profile shows your ride as a 98... hmm... unless you have an updated 2-piece 01-04 pan then unfortunately you have a one piece pan.

Best of luck...
Bill
Old 02-18-2006, 11:14 PM
TriniJoe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Reid
My bet the pan is cracked possibly due to over torquing the pan bolt. Pan drains don't leak due to boost conditions... ESPECIALLY from a Magnuson.
Your profile shows your ride as a 98... hmm... unless you have an updated 2-piece 01-04 pan then unfortunately you have a one piece pan.

Best of luck...
Bill
Correct my C5 is a 98, pan is as equipped on a 98. Is the updated 2-piece 01-04 pan a better, stronger pan? Will this pan fit the 98 without any modifications?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:22 PM
FunCool
Melting Slicks

Miles on motor about 21,000.
If I remember correctly, it appears that it started when I switched to the 3.2 pulley with boost level about 7.5.
Remove your oil cap, and start your Vette.
If it smokes in puffs, you got a ring issue.
But with the miles you have, and the boost your running, I'd suspect this isn't your issue.
So as people above have mentioned, your pan may be the issue. Start with the cap first in case it's the culprit.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:42 AM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

Correct my C5 is a 98, pan is as equipped on a 98. Is the updated 2-piece 01-04 pan a better, stronger pan? Will this pan fit the 98 without any modifications?
There were significant changes in the pans from 97-00 to 01-04. I only suggested (IF) it was the 2-piece because for you the changeout of the bottom piece would be no more difficult than changing the oil, IMO. The one piece pan requires the cradle to be dropped to repair/and/or replace. I SPECULATE your pan is cracked. My suggestion is to take to someone who knows how to define cracks in alumunim and give you a definite prognosis.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Reid; 02-19-2006 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:34 AM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you 100% sure that the oil is dripping "from" the drain plug? And not leaking somewhere else and it is just drain towards the plug and dripping off of it.

You can buy some stuff that comes in a spray can to find cracks. But if the pan is a rough casting, it may not work too good. You spray on a red die, then wipe it off. Then spray this other white stuff on it. If there is a crack, a red line will bleed into the white. Just don't forget to get the cleaner too.

Good luck in finding the problem. Hope it's not cracked.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:58 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Since the mag was installed, oil is blowing passed the oil pan plug. I replaced the oil pan plug, torque the bolt to the recommended spec & I am still having the oil blow by. Will a oil catch can relieve the pressure? Has anyone else experienced this issue? Could it be my second oil pan plug is also defective? There is always a puddlle of oil on my garage floor under the oil pan and it is definitely seeping pass the oil pan plug, even though the oil plug is tight.
Did you check the washer on the end of the bolt to make sure it was not torn up or cracked. You may want to try a new washer first and the spray stuff to check for a crack.

Get notified of new replies

To Mag equipped & oil seeping passed oil pan plug

Quick Reply: Mag equipped & oil seeping passed oil pan plug