C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Krank Vent -- worth it

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 07:14 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Why cant you install a manual vaccum valve that allows you to dial in the vaccum?
I know they sell them..
Old 12-20-2006, 07:29 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Got to...
http://www.mcmaster.com/

What do you think about part # 5021K24

Look on page 451
Old 12-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by diynoob
I just installed mine on the car last night and gave it a test drive. I saw the same thing you did Bill, except for instead of getting a noise, I got a HUGE puff of smoke when I let off. It went away after 3-4 seconds of cruise. Something has to be done to modulate the vacuum somehow. Not sure what the right solution is but the car is not happy with that much vacuum in the crank case.

I'm still happy with the valve though, it opens easily and flows a ton of air. The overall system will need more than just a couple of KVs though.
I agree... I'm going to do some more playing myself.

Bill
Old 12-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
Got to...
http://www.mcmaster.com/

What do you think about part # 5021K24

Look on page 451
Right on... thanks bro!

Bill
Old 12-20-2006, 08:12 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the krank vent system based on this post...

The loud screeching under high vac conditions scared the crap out of me.

It seems obvious that the valve attached to the V/C breather line is too restrictive on my LS1.
Will it damage the engine/seals? I'm going to let you guys figure it out.
I personally could not live with the racket even if it did have some benefit.

It might be wise to purchase the larger system. It may provide enough flow to keep the vac to a reasonable level.
The one I have I believe does not flow enough air compared the the factory setup.
Keeping adequate air flow through the PCV is more important long term than a questionable increase in performance, IMHO.

I feel like I basically paid $110 to prevent my crakcase from being pressurized.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FRCTony
I purchased the krank vent system based on this post...

The loud screeching under high vac conditions scared the crap out of me.

It seems obvious that the valve attached to the V/C breather line is too restrictive on my LS1.
Will it damage the engine/seals? I'm going to let you guys figure it out.
I personally could not live with the racket even if it did have some benefit.

It might be wise to purchase the larger system. It may provide enough flow to keep the vac to a reasonable level.
The one I have I believe does not flow enough air compared the the factory setup.
Keeping adequate air flow through the PCV is more important long term than a questionable increase in performance, IMHO.

I feel like I basically paid $110 to prevent my crakcase from being pressurized.
The small Krank Vent valves are not too restrictive... they work too damn good (at least on the PCV side)... thats what Quicksilver figured out awhile back and wound up throttling fresh air into his crank case via a restrictor... at least thats what I read into it. I would assume just enougth to prevent air from being sucked in through the crank seals. I would further assume this mod will need to be tweaked on an individual basis as not everyone runs the same cam, same forced induction, and has the same ring seal... crank case pressures being different for just about everybody. But imagine getting the correct bleed fresh air into the crank case without pulling it through the seals. Quick got it down, at least for him, along time ago. The rest of us are catching up and it appears will need to tweak on an individual basis. But these Krank Vents are the shiznit... fo sho

Bill
Old 12-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Figure it out we will.

At a minimum, the KV is beneficial in line with the OEM PCV valve as it will not allow the PCV valve to see boost. We know that the OEM valves like to leak under boost pressure. So that side of the PCV is solved. Now the issue is, how to allow mild vacuum on the crankcase without getting so much that you're worried about odd noises or engine seals. I don't know the answer to that, yet.

Even no vacuum on the crankcase at all would be OK if there was a way to do that and allow the second KV to be the only path out of the crankcase when you're under boost. To me this is the most important aspect of the KV. I don't want to run a breather that stinks up the cabin all the time -- I want to figure out a way to run a hose off the valve cover to the secondar KV and down to the bottom of the car, so any crankcase gasses and any oil escape without making a mess in the engine bay or causing a stink.

Oh, I don't think the larger kit would help any, the actual issue is excessive vacuum -- not excessive pressure. And Quick has noted that pressure was relieved quickly enough with the ordinary/smaller KV.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Reid
Quick got it down, at least for him, along time ago. The rest of us are catching up and it appears will need to tweak on an individual basis. But these Krank Vents are the shiznit... fo sho

Bill
Couldn't agree more. These KVs do what they say they will and are really amazing. The problem is our motors don't like vacuum. We'll figure it out.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:20 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by diynoob
Oh, I don't think the larger kit would help any, the actual issue is excessive vacuum -- not excessive pressure. And Quick has noted that pressure was relieved quickly enough with the ordinary/smaller KV.
Your right of course. What is needed is a bleed orifice that would eliminate the massive suckage

I still think its a bit silly to think the vacuum is benefical since it will only be present under light to no load conditions. As soon as the boost gauge moves, its over.

I think the only way your going to get rid of the smell from blowby is to rig a charcoal cannister(or air freshener) to the the end of the vent line.

For anyone else reading, the catch can is still going to be needed if you want to keep the oil out of the intake.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FRCTony
I still think its a bit silly to think the vacuum is benefical since it will only be present under light to no load conditions. As soon as the boost gauge moves, its over.
I think better part throttle response has been noted with the Krank Vent's set up properly... and I believe there has also been talk of maintaining crank case vacuum a bit a longer after tranistioning to boost... certainly helpful in the time it takes to run the 1/4 mile(?). And if thats the case then, depending on how long your foot is on the floor, the amount of volume/pressure will be less to immediately relieve from the crank case. At least thats how I think I understand it. There are 2 Krank Vent valves and each one has a specific purpose... one for the PCV side and one to alleviate positive crank case conditions. Like Tony said the positive crank case issue might require a bit more attention... or at least a bit more flow capability at for big boost. I speculate with a little cooperation and tweaking with the company that makes them assuming they are up for it, perhaps there might be a really efficiant system developed that will truely take care of some of problems that us V8 forced induction guys are dealing with. To keep a system enclosed or "managed" instead of a breather hanging out on the valve cover injesting unmetered air into the crank case in which the tuner invaribly has to compensate for, yet also able to handle positive crank case pressure, seems like a better way to go... if setup properly.

Bill

Quick Reply: Krank Vent -- worth it