C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APS or TTI X?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 02:29 AM
427CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default APS or TTI X?

I've been told the APS requires some "ball peen" hammer action to install, is this the same for TTI X? Any comments from installers out there? Why one kit over the other? ANyone?

I would plan to add injectors and a tune on top of the kit.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:37 AM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Old 03-29-2007, 03:48 AM
2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can plan on alot more then that

I went with a PTK....it was the best for ME
Old 03-29-2007, 05:27 AM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

I suggest you speak to someone with one of the kits..
Old 03-29-2007, 09:14 AM
BLOWNZO6
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 427CPE
I've been told the APS requires some "ball peen" hammer action to install, is this the same for TTI X? Any comments from installers out there? Why one kit over the other? ANyone?

The TTiX kit only requires this on some cars. The welding on the carriers where the front cradle bolts up is not consistent. This sometimes requires you to clean that up. All of the installations I do, I just grind these down some and shoot some paint on them. Then I don't have to worry if it will clear or not. On some vehicles you may have to slightly dent the frame rail on the passenger side where the turbo sits. Again, I do this if I have the engine out since it is easier to do.

As for one kit over another... this has been beat to death. So I will not go there, I sell and install the TTiX and X Lite kits. If you would like more specifics and my personal opinion on the X kit, I can offer that.

You will have to add a fuel system with either kit. I can supply you with everthing you would need for an installation.

If you have some other questions, let me know.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:47 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

The APS kit does require some heating and beating according to their instructions. This is why I bailed out on the introductory purchase that APS offered.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:24 AM
flash of red
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just did an APS install on my own car. I was worried about the hammer adjustments also. It actually wasnt too bad and took less than an hour to do both sides. I used a small MAP gas bottle torch and a 5 lb hammer. It isnt a bad as the picture looks in the directions. I painted over the spots and it is then covered over with heat shielding.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:50 PM
0APS
Former Vendor

I've been told the APS requires some "ball peen" hammer action to install,
The small body mods for the extra turbo clearance is a very straight forward operation and takes less than 30 minutes to perform................a very small compromise in order to package quite large high performance turbochargers imho.

Peter
Old 03-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by APS
The small body mods for the extra turbo clearance is a very straight forward operation and takes less than 30 minutes to perform................a very small compromise in order to package quite large high performance turbochargers imho.

Peter
Agreed Peter.

It's funny, when you're talking about putting 600 or 700rwhp down, enough to break the motor, diff, and tranny... people don't bat an eye. But as soon as you say you'll have to hammer the frame or grind the engine cradle to make that gear fit properly, people get anxious.

Other than the top mount kits which arguably have their own issues to contend with I am not aware of a C5 kit that does not require some modification beyond simply bolting the kit on.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:54 PM
427CPE
Melting Slicks

After reading your statement I had to laugh. I have built, installed and done my own engine work for A LONG time, several cars which had blowers, and modified everything else I can think of to include gas tanks and electrical work. Some had nitrous too. I have welded in complete exhaust systems not made for the car, subframes, electrical, and in some cases even body work and paint.

But I'll be da** if I'm getting a ball peen hammer out on my Corvette. After your statement, I just realized its a simple deal

Why is the APS system preferred over the TTI X? Does your APS system use the same turbos as the TTI X? I have had aftermarket stuff in past that fits terrible and was just trying to find out what fits well. Knowing heat productions is at a max, I wanted to make sure not to much is metal to metal under the car.

Which type of turbo is better? I understand there are a few diff types.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:41 AM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Is there a which is better between the two? I can only speak from my experience with the TTi X kit. I have no complaints except it's too easy to blow the tires w/out trying. My car spools so fast it is almost like being normally aspirated on steroids. Is there a better turbo kit? At this moment I can honestly say not for me. I have not turned up the boost yet and I know for sure my traction problems would increase if I do adjust the boost.

Just from reading this board most of the kits come with issues, but I have not seen any with my kit. Basically it all depends on what you are looking for. If you want a street monster I think all of the kits would give you what you want. Some require more work than others to make some comfortable. All the kits come with limitations, but I think anyone of them will surpass the limits of the current M6 drivetrain and would increase the maintenance on a 4L60E combo. Basically pick your poison. If you want a kit with the potential to make 1000rwhp plus with little fuss then you have several options right now. The HP kit, PTK kit and some modified STS idea kits. Those kits can go up to 76mm turbos. Now those kits can take you into TT Viper territory that has a modified Viper motor, but if you want to run 999rwhp or less with little or no fuss you have TTi X, APS, basic STS, etc... Once again, pick your poison.

Last edited by Vince99FRC; 03-30-2007 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:48 AM
427CPE
Melting Slicks

Can you give me a clue what type of turbos are available and which is the best? I read something about ball bearing and some other types.

I would be looking for about 550rwhp. I suspect I would want a little reserve maybe 100rwhp for improvements later.

How far is the stock fuel system and injectors good?

SO, looks like its not which system, but which specific turbine.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:58 AM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Can you give me a clue what type of turbos are available and which is the best? I read something about ball bearing and some other types.

I would be looking for about 550rwhp. I suspect I would want a little reserve maybe 100rwhp for improvements later.

How far is the stock fuel system and injectors good?

SO, looks like its not which system, but which specific turbine.
Well all the kit's can easily produce that kind of power. Have you decided on the size of motor and spool characteristics you are looking for?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:22 AM
427CPE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vince99FRC
Well all the kit's can easily produce that kind of power. Have you decided on the size of motor and spool characteristics you are looking for?

I want thepower to be hitting real hard in the mid-range/top-end. I am more about the mid and top end power than low end. I realize the car will only hook so far. I like the feel of rolling in to the power band and it steady climbing.

I'm going to stay w/the stock motor for now, then if a replacement is necessary, go with a forged stock c.i.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:45 AM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

I want thepower to be hitting real hard in the mid-range/top-end. I am more about the mid and top end power than low end. I realize the car will only hook so far. I like the feel of rolling in to the power band and it steady climbing.

I'm going to stay w/the stock motor for now, then if a replacement is necessary, go with a forged stock c.i.
Well I know for a fact a 346ci TTi X car ran high 9's @148mph with a 6 speed. The only other 6 speed turbo car that I know of that has run faster is LPE's 427TT combo of like 3 years ago.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:45 AM
SpeedyD
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

By your description above, it sounds like you're looking for the power of a centifugal supercharger, linear, and pulls increasingly through the rpms. Maybe you wantto look into that, it costs less and there are some definite proven kits that can easily hit your HP goals!!
Myself, I went with the APS Twin, I can't speak for it's performance just yet, I'm still installing it with a forged engine, so we can see what this kit can really do!! I think, so far, I am the only one mounting the APS to a forged 346, so hopefully in a month or so we have some numbers. I don't know enogh about the TTix kit to sit here and compare, but you keep asking for the "best" turbos, and "best" kit, but best is a personal preference. They both have pros and cons and it will have to be your own decision. Speak to Nick, BlownX06 about the TTi, he's a great guy, and you can probably contact Peter directly at APS or give LAPD a call, they have installed several of the APS kits. Even the STS has had good results and it's an easier install. Do some searching on the board, there's plenty of info here on all of the kits. Good Luck!!! Dan
Old 03-31-2007, 12:21 AM
427CPE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
By your description above, it sounds like you're looking for the power of a centifugal supercharger, linear, and pulls increasingly through the rpms. Maybe you wantto look into that, it costs less and there are some definite proven kits that can easily hit your HP goals!!
Myself, I went with the APS Twin, I can't speak for it's performance just yet, I'm still installing it with a forged engine, so we can see what this kit can really do!! I think, so far, I am the only one mounting the APS to a forged 346, so hopefully in a month or so we have some numbers. I don't know enogh about the TTix kit to sit here and compare, but you keep asking for the "best" turbos, and "best" kit, but best is a personal preference. They both have pros and cons and it will have to be your own decision. Speak to Nick, BlownX06 about the TTi, he's a great guy, and you can probably contact Peter directly at APS or give LAPD a call, they have installed several of the APS kits. Even the STS has had good results and it's an easier install. Do some searching on the board, there's plenty of info here on all of the kits. Good Luck!!! Dan
I am DONE with superchargers. I have had my share of problems with them and I don't like the parasitic drag they create.

I sort of gave up on the STS idea when the thoughts of cat in the turbine came up and mostly because I don't like the idea of plumbing the oil feed/return and the intake line. If that kit actually gets a CARB EO#, I ~might consider it.

Get notified of new replies

To APS or TTI X?

Old 03-31-2007, 02:42 AM
ZO-SICK
Melting Slicks

I am DONE with superchargers. I have had my share of problems with them and I don't like the parasitic drag they create.

I sort of gave up on the STS idea when the thoughts of cat in the turbine came up and mostly because I don't like the idea of plumbing the oil feed/return and the intake line. If that kit actually gets a CARB EO#, I ~might consider it.
I believe they are approved to be smog legal...
Old 03-31-2007, 03:28 AM
SpeedyD
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO-SICK
I'm 99.9% sure they have a CARB #. Good Luck on your search of power!! Lots of great choices!!
Old 03-31-2007, 04:32 AM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by ZO-SICK

Quick Reply: APS or TTI X?