C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Syn. Oil for Supercharged Motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Woww.. I'm saving this thread to My Favorites . Lottsa info. Since we have a lot of Oil Gurus here, may I ask what a guy like me should use. My car is all stock (totally factory). Just using a simple Blackwing intake, a shift kit for the A4 Tranny. Anyways, I want the BEST possible oil for the engine, reducing the wear and BETTER Lubrication. Already using Mobile1, 5w-30. Considering Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline.... Any suggestions for a non-modded enging... (sorry, its out of context) Thanks

Old 03-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Twin Screws
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Woww.. I'm saving this thread to My Favorites . Lottsa info. Since we have a lot of Oil Gurus here, may I ask what a guy like me should use. My car is all stock (totally factory). Just using a simple Blackwing intake, a shift kit for the A4 Tranny. Anyways, I want the BEST possible oil for the engine, reducing the wear and BETTER Lubrication. Already using Mobile1, 5w-30. Considering Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline.... Any suggestions for a non-modded enging... (sorry, its out of context) Thanks

I believe you are in the wrong section of the website...this discussion is centered around FI vettes. You probably can get some great advice from the C5 Tech forum.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
Once its up to temp (180-220) is idles at 40 psi and will go up to about 60psi at 5-6500 rpms.

Thanks for the link! I might go back to Amsoil. It's hard finding one oil to do it all...it's kind of like picking tires for the street, strip, or track...you have to have a set for each.

I like the 0w because of cold start up and it improves horspower. Naturally I like the heavier stuff 30-50w for the protection. Supposedly the German Castrol 30w is good stuff too.
I like your hot psi's and those are pretty much what my stock motor sees on the track running a 10w40 (which should have similar viscosity to your 0w40 when hot).

I agree - oils and tires are tough choices when trying to find something for the street and track. As I say on the tire threads, there is no one right answer and if you want a dual use tire (or oil), it's going to be a compromise.

German Castrol 0w30 is a really good oil and I have a couple used oil analysis results of it as well from a different forum member when we did a little comparo of the CG vs AMSOIL Series 2000 (now discontinued for the Signature Series 0w30).
Used Oil Analysis Comparison: German Castrol 0w30 vs AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30

But, I think you are better off with your 0w40 in your motor than going to a 0w30.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 04-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Twin Screws
Racer

Default 50 weight

Though LPE recommends and Mobil1 sells it as specific to FI cars, in doing some research there does not seem to be a lot of support for using a 50 wieght oil. Thoughts are it is too thick, it is not ideally suited for the tolerences of the LSx engines, and builds unnecessary heat and oil pressure.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 AM
INTHERED
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone use Redline oil ? Reading from their webpage Its sounds like it would be the trick setup for cars with high engine temperatures. I know a lot of folks who use it at the track but none of them are FI vette guys.

INTHERED
Old 04-04-2008, 10:57 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used redline oil in my EVO before, but it was before I stared sending oil samples to Blackstone labs for analysis. I've only been using Royal Purple oils in my cars for the last year or so and all my oil reports come back great.

Now, I use their (redline) heavyweight shockproof (pink stuff) in the transfer case & rear of that car and I haven't had a problem with either. That car is driven hard to, with 88k currently on the odo, some 200 1/4 mile passes a few HPDE's and about 10 or so autox's.

I just recently put some 75w90NS in the rear of the vette, along with their friction modifier, when I changed all the driveline fluid two weekend ago. I used RP Syncomax ATF in the trans BTW.

Last edited by AlwaysInBoost; 04-04-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 438 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
I've only been using Royal Purple oils in my cars for the last year or so and all my oil reports come back great.
That is interesting to hear because some of the reading I have done on the Royal Purple (while excellant for NA setups) has suggested that in Turbo setups that it doesn't hold up well at high temperatures. But if your using it in your Evo and your test results come back great...it's hard to argue with or disprove. Let me ask this how hard to you run your Evo do you know what your turbine temps or egts are?

Personally I don't pay attention to egts on my Vette only on my D-Max when I'm towing something.

The point of the question is do you feel that you have ran the Evo hard enough to create higher then normal driving temperatures that would lead to viscosity break down or high temp shear. If not this might be why your test results come back great because it is really operating much like an NA setup would.

I am not as concerned with temperatures from 100-200* as much as I am with temps from 201-250* +.

Although I installed my 25 Row Earl's oil cooler last weekend and my oil temps would not go above 80* idling.:o
Old 04-04-2008, 11:45 AM
BobJ
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You know what they say about opinions! . Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, everyone has their data, their preferences, their good experiences, maybe a nightmare story, what their mechanic and their Dad told them to use.

All of the above mentioned synthetics are high quaility (as well as many others), the key is to change it at the proper interval proportionate to the conditions you put the vehicle in.

Choosing oil is like choosing underwear, choose the one that fits. Me.....I like Jockey Boxer Briefs.....and I use Mobil 1 and change it every 5k.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:57 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
That is interesting to hear because some of the reading I have done on the Royal Purple (while excellant for NA setups) has suggested that in Turbo setups that it doesn't hold up well at high temperatures. But if your using it in your Evo and your test results come back great...it's hard to argue with or disprove. Let me ask this how hard to you run your Evo do you know what your turbine temps or egts are?

Personally I don't pay attention to egts on my Vette only on my D-Max when I'm towing something.

The point of the question is do you feel that you have ran the Evo hard enough to create higher then normal driving temperatures that would lead to viscosity break down or high temp shear. If not this might be why your test results come back great because it is really operating much like an NA setup would.

I am not as concerned with temperatures from 100-200* as much as I am with temps from 201-250* +.

Although I installed my 25 Row Earl's oil cooler last weekend and my oil temps would not go above 80* idling.:o
those are good questions.

I feel I do run my car very hard on track days, BUT I change the fluids VERY frequently, which I think contributes some of the results I've had. When I say 'hard', I mean 4 full 30 minute sessions on a road course in the middle of the summer. The last one was @ shenandoah in Virgina and the temps were in the 90s with close to 100% humidity. It was extreamly HOT and my oil temp gauge was between 120-130*C (only glanced at the gauge on the straights). IMO you just can generate the kind of heat on the street as you can on a road course. I beat the car so hard that day I wasn't expecting to be able to drive it back but to my surprise everything is A OK and has been since.

I don't pay much attention to EGT really. There are other ways to determine if you are too far past your MBT. Besides, its not an indicator of how well you're oil is working, I can get EGT's to spike sky high if I wanted to before the oil is even warmed up, hehe. Having said that I don't have an EGT gauge on that car but I am able to log just about everything the ECU sees plus some extra stuff (EVO's ECU's are basically open source, very cool what you can do with them, but thats another topic all together). The last time I pulled the turbine housing off, which was only a couple months ago, the turbine blades still looked new. No signs of EGT's being too high. I've witnessed turbo cars running race gas and spraying, with their EGT's so high it melted the turbine blades off the shaft.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

those are good questions.

I feel I do run my car very hard on track days, BUT I change the fluids VERY frequently, which I think contributes some of the results I've had. When I say 'hard', I mean 4 full 30 minute sessions on a road course in the middle of the summer. The last one was @ shenandoah in Virgina and the temps were in the 90s with close to 100% humidity. It was extreamly HOT and my oil temp gauge was between 120-130*C (only glanced at the gauge on the straights). IMO you just can generate the kind of heat on the street as you can on a road course. I beat the car so hard that day I wasn't expecting to be able to drive it back but to my surprise everything is A OK and has been since. :
So the you have clearly put it to the test then. I agree with regular interval oil changes...especially running on the track....what is the saying every 1 mile on the track is equal to a 1K miles on the street. Following that logic after 7 miles on the track you would hit 7K miles pretty quick.
I don't pay much attention to EGT really. I am able to log just about everything the ECU sees plus some extra stuff (EVO's ECU's are basically open source, very cool what you can do with them, but thats another topic all together).

I was thinking more about how hot the bearings get when the turbine gets really hot the EGTs do heat the housing which will in turn heat he bearings...but hell you are tracking your car which is the most abusive.

Yes the Japanese are still ahead of the game when it comes to computers and making things easier to do with them. I have a friend that visits from Japan when he is doing MMA seminars...he is always bringing over the smallest cell phones and gadgets...it takes us 1-2 years before we see it over here...if at all.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:40 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

^^ I didn't realize thats why you were asking about EGT's. Yes it makes sense about the journal bearing seeing some high temps, I don't have any shaft play on the stock turbo so it (the oil) must be doing its job. But I also drive a cool down lap or two and then drive slowly around the pit area/paddock to cool everything off as much as I can. Not a fan of turbo timers, I think they are a complete waste of $.

Yeah, you wouldn't believe the stuff you can do now with a STOCK EVO ECU. Its almost like an Standalone ENgine Management. There are people all over the world cracking into them and re-writing the code. For example on my ECU I add a NLTS feature that drops rev's to whatever RPM I tell it to when the clutch is pushed in. There are switchable maps, valet mode, a knock light that will flash your CEL (check engine light) when a predertermened amount of knock has been reached <--- that one I love because on the road course you can tell when you are knocking and just lift, allowing the motor to stay together. Those are just a FEW of the features people have programed into the EVO ECU. I could talk all day about this stuff but its not an EVO board, or thread for that matter, so thats all I'm going to say about that.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:02 AM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tramminc
anyone heard of royal purple 51 (RP51) for boosted motors
Old 01-20-2009, 02:14 AM
slothy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LuvmyC5
Have you Guys ever used or know of anyone who's used Amsoil?
used it in my chopper and vette - cant say its any better or worse the mobil.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:45 PM
felo357
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

go to the RP web and read about the racing oil line that they have is call XPR and they thalk about the diference applications including methanol user and nos.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by felo357
go to the RP web and read about the racing oil line that they have is call XPR and they thalk about the diference applications including methanol user and nos.

I actually ended up going with Shell Rotella T (Full Syn) 5w-40. Comes in Gallon jugs and cost about $20. It's going in really soon...sitting on the shelf in the garage right now.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:43 PM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by felo357
debating on the whole issue. I would like to run the XPR but just seem to not be able to justify the cost in comparison to the others.
on the fence between Mobil 15/50 and Rotella that Shinobi is using.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:20 PM
ONE BMF
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

ROYAL PURPLE 10w-30 READ ON GENTS http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Get notified of new replies

To Best Syn. Oil for Supercharged Motors

Old 02-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ONE BMF
ROYAL PURPLE 10w-30 READ ON GENTS http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
Great info!
Old 02-05-2009, 02:24 PM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

How about the regular RP 10w-30, not the Racing or XPR type?

Amazon has it right now for a case of 12 for $72.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
Great info!
Dude that test has been posted on here for maybe the last 4-5 years. And I thought it was concluded it was done and sponsored by Royal Purple...and that for FI RP doesn't withstand heat that well.

It's been repeated for a long time now to say the least.

Quick Reply: Best Syn. Oil for Supercharged Motors