C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introducing our C5 Single Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 05:39 PM
black98c5
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvmyC5
Earl H had the same setup that you're talking about and put down 750 to the wheels!
Thanks, Rob. I did a quick search, and read that he was at full boost with that setup by (14psi) 3300rpm....That's pretty impressive.

Only thing that would be of concern to me, would be heat management considering the turbos location.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:55 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

May be heat extractor hood would help, i saw on big auction selling for 639.
So A2W is more efficient than A2A ? if so its good than but it adds the weight of 3 gallon water as he said but who cares little weight when u can get lot of power comin from turbo.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Earl H had the same setup that you're talking about and put down 750 to the wheels!
Didn't Earl switch to a TTi?
Ask him why.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Didn't Earl switch to a TTi?
Ask him why.
Id like to know why? LOL

Can you give insight ?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by black98c5
Thanks, Rob. I did a quick search, and read that he was at full boost with that setup by (14psi) 3300rpm....That's pretty impressive.

Only thing that would be of concern to me, would be heat management considering the turbos location.
I have no heat issues with my setup and have taken trips up to 800 miles in the summer.Key is tieing everything up properly and some heat insulation.I even run the stock overflow bottle.The turbo blanket on the exhaust housing makes a big difference.As far as the air cleaner it looks like Hinson has notched the rad cover for a 90 degree duct.As I posted before I got rid of that setup and dropped the rad for lots of clearance.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:56 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Corvette-Chris
Id like to know why? LOL

Can you give insight ?
Earl had heat problems, etc...

You have to keep in mind that he had the Cerra kit and they went under leaving no support.

Earl moved onto a bigger motor, TTiX SYstem and conversion to an auto trans that Dr Phil installed.

I had the pleasure of meeting both of them on one of my parts gathering mission over at Phil's house.

With all of the newer products and support info out here, I don't think it's as big of a problem today as it was back then.

There are quite a few PTK / Halltech system out there running just fine with the proper insulation and wiring routing.

A good turbo blanket and some heat coating will help a lot. Of these wear items do cost a bit, but how often will you need to change out the blankets.

The TTiX and APS systems do away with these extra's but then you have to deal with other issues. All of these systems are a compromise and you just need to educate yourself on the pro's and con's of each and figure out what you want.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Bonnetts02Vette
i wonder if the aluminum coolant resevoir and turbo blanket and wrap on the downpipe and everything is needed. also prolly 60lb injectors and fuel rails and im wondering which kind of pump i should go with also. i am wondering what 10psi would do on an 02 ls1?
I ran 11.2 @ 127 with a dead stock LS1 including stock exhaust.T70 turbo.That was right off the street with a mild tune and pump gas.If I had a stickier tire I know it will go 10s.I was at 8 #s of boost and I think it will handle 12-14.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ajg1915

You have to keep in mind that he had the Cerra kit and they went under leaving no support.

Earl moved onto a bigger motor, TTiX SYstem and conversion to an auto trans that Dr Phil installed.

I had the pleasure of meeting both of them on one of my parts gathering mission over at Phil's house.

With all of the newer products and support info out here, I don't think it's as big of a problem today as it was back then.

There are quite a few PTK / Halltech system out there running just fine with the proper insulation and wiring routing.

A good turbo blanket and some heat coating will help a lot. Of these wear items do cost a bit, but how often will you need to change out the blankets.

The TTiX and APS systems do away with these extra's but then you have to deal with other issues. All of these systems are a compromise and you just need to educate yourself on the pro's and con's of each and figure out what you want.

Thanks Tony for taking the time to to explain that.

I am wanting to go FI before or the beginning of summer and was set on a centrifugal SC setup and this made me think also.

I already sent my tuner a message and he gave me very good advise on this kit.

I just like the idea of a big single and its definantly different. With different comes cons also though. Itll be a little while longer before Im ready so Ill be keeping my eyes and ears open on this kit
Old 01-18-2009, 07:04 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 396375
I ran 11.2 @ 127 with a dead stock LS1 including stock exhaust.T70 turbo.That was right off the street with a mild tune and pump gas.If I had a stickier tire I know it will go 10s.I was at 8 #s of boost and I think it will handle 12-14.

Six-Speed or Auto ?

Thanks Tony for taking the time to to explain that.

I am wanting to go FI before or the beginning of summer and was set on a centrifugal SC setup and this made me think also.

I already sent my tuner a message and he gave me very good advise on this kit.

I just like the idea of a big single and its definantly different. With different comes cons also though. Itll be a little while longer before Im ready so Ill be keeping my eyes and ears open on this kit

Just lucky to be in the right place at the right time.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:23 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I wonder if it'd be cheaper with A2A intercooling? I'd think so because you're taking the circulating pump and the heat exchanger, but that's my uneducated guess! I like the simplicity of the A2A and without a circ pump, that's one less thing to possibly go wrong. Please bare with me, I'm just thinking out loud!

Originally Posted by black98c5

You're Welcome Elvir!

Originally Posted by 396375
That's Great for just bolting on a turbo setup!

What tires were you on?

Last edited by FreddyG; 01-18-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg1915

And an aftermarket vented hood, so add the cost of the hood, prep and paint.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Bonnetts02Vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really think that its only small things that are needed to make this kit better and very reliable.

-coating the turbine housing and downpipe or getting a turbo blanket and wrapping the downpipe.
-wire routing and keeping the wires away from the heat
-aluminum coolant resevoir
-matching driver-side manifold
-intake system to work with the setup and rad support drop

stock hood with the coatings on everything or everything wrapped should be good enough i would think.

i cant wait to get my hands on one of these kits tho.

i wonder what the price for this kit with upgraded t76 turbo, coolant resevoir, fuel system and shipped to my door in ohio would be and i wonder how in-depth this install would be. should be too bad i wouldnt think
Old 01-18-2009, 09:07 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Already got that.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Tony,

If you leave the headlights out, it will also be a very good way to let some cool air in LOL
Old 01-18-2009, 09:15 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Tony,

If you leave the headlights out, it will also be a very good way to let some cool air in LOL
I could also access the intercooler and piping easily too.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I wonder if it'd be cheaper with A2A intercooling? I'd think so because you're taking the circulating pump and the heat exchanger, but that's my uneducated guess! I like the simplicity of the A2A and without a circ pump, that's one less thing to possibly go wrong. Please bare with me, I'm just thinking out loud!

You're Welcome Elvir!

That's Great for just bolting on a turbo setup!

What tires were you on?
Thanks.Nitto DRs on a Cold October Friday night.Track was not prepped and it got loose on me a couple of times.Car is an auto.

Get notified of new replies

To Introducing our C5 Single Turbo Kit

Old 01-19-2009, 10:14 AM
greekc6
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by greekc6
please tell us your workin on one for a c6. id love to have a top mount turbo like that.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:59 PM
ChopperLoco
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sami85L98
IS fuel rail covers and coils can be at original location or it will be too much heat from turbo and its down pipe will melt them? i like to retain coils and FRC's in place where its now.

Dominic: any fabrication to be needed when u installed A&A intercooler.

I have a Dewitt radiator so will it fit or had to switched to stock OEM radiator.
I'm using an STS Intercooler(Converted to single 2&1/2" inlet)-the cold side from the turbo to the intercooler will be my own doing-still picking away...
Dominic
Old 01-19-2009, 01:59 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I have always wanted a big turbo setup but the twins were just out of my range. I am looking into S/C setups but this is probably my answer LOL

I am also curious if an A2A IC if an option?
Corvette-Chris: If this is priced right and makes the power like the Cerra kit did, I'll make you a deal on a slightly used (1000 mile) A&A kit and some FLP headers/x-pipe!

Quick Reply: Introducing our C5 Single Turbo Kit