C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My methanol in windshield fluid reservoir is leaking what's common cause?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Suks2bu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have one of the old kits like mine, It was leaking threw the windshield pump motor seal so i pulled the motor out and capped the hole. I think Julio says to do that on the new kits ? Meth will hurt your garage tile floor ask me how i know
Old 03-25-2009, 05:16 PM
clemsondave
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fill the tank up, reach your hand down to where the fitting on the bottom is. If there is a leak, you will feel it. I've tried the RTV silicone before, it doesn't last very long. The meth eats right through it. As mentioned above, I called Julio and ordered new fittings and washers.

If there is no leak there, check around the pump. The internal grommets or seal could be failing.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:45 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Jim what do you run for alky in the tank? Is it 100% pure meth M1 or something else?
Old 03-28-2009, 06:37 PM
C5Spirit
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did a permanent fix on mine with JB Wield....
Old 03-29-2009, 12:57 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by FactoryRaceCar
Jim what do you run for alky in the tank? Is it 100% pure meth M1 or something else?

100% pure meth from Torco Racing Fuels!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 PM
os4car
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Where was the leak coming from?

I think I have the same problem
Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 PM
Blue Time
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have his car now. I believe he told me he had to replace the pump when
I bought it. I'm sure he will reply if he sees this post.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 PM
joshtownsend
Melting Slicks

guys, there is only 3 holes on the tank..

1. where the old motor is that use wont use anymore, just pull it and put something in there,bolt,cap,rubber gasket, then rtv around it.

2. the sensor that reads the level of the fluid in the tank, seal around that as well with rtv

3. the hole you cut to allow meth to flow to the pump. It should be tight but rtv around that as well.

Allow all the dry and you can run 100% meth for years and year without any issues..

And don't worry.. last time i judged a car show, i didn't see where deductions were taken off for to much RTV being uses!!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:06 AM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you read the fine print, most meth injection systems aren't rated for 100% meth, and will tell you to only use 50/50 at the strongest.

AlkyControl I believe is the only kit I'm aware of that says their lines and pumps are rated for 100% methanol.

If you don't have an Alkycontrol kit, then its likely your lines or pump have developed a leak somewhere.

Maybe put water in it, and pressurize the washer tank in the same way as doing a compression check on a cooling system and see if you can find any leaks.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:36 AM
Y2KRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by os4car
Where was the leak coming from?

I think I have the same problem
Did you seriously just revive a thread that was over 4 years old? Start your own thread man.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:32 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

Julio will be the first to tell you a pump running 100% should be rebuilt every couple years or it will start leaking/failing.

and straight meth flashes around 60-70°, so if it's leaking on the floor, won't it evaporate within a few minutes?

Originally Posted by Y2KRoadster
Did you seriously just revive a thread that was over 4 years old? Start your own thread man.
thus making the search function useless. gotta love rules
Old 01-18-2017, 12:57 PM
derekd7987
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Once I thought I had a windsheild washer tank leak. Turns out the bottom of the innercooler was full of alky. I also had/have the older kit, and ECS added something (check valve?) that fixed the problem.
I realize this thread is very old and already has been revived once but I wanted to comment incase somebody searches this and has the same problem I had.

I couldn't find a leak either, and like above, my intercooler was extremely full of meth. I noticed when I was changing my front sway bar and had to remove the pipe coming from passenger side of intercooler and about a gallon of meth poured out.

The check valve statement is correct. On a C5 the washer fluid tank is higher than the meth nozzle so it will gravity feed straight into the charge pipe and run down into the intercooler. I had a shop install my alky kit and they left the check valve out. I goes between the nozzle itself and the stainless line.

For me this made the car extremely hard to start and took awhile for the car to clean up and idle right.

Again, sorry to revive an old thread but was just hoping this would help somebody like me that couldn't find a leak at the tank or anywhere.

Quick Reply: My methanol in windshield fluid reservoir is leaking what's common cause?