C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone want a transmission that will hold your F/I, nitrous power???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:12 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

AtomicC6 and I got the cradle in today. I had some serious trouble getting the passenger side axle in the last time I put it in and when I looked at it today and noticed that there was no chamfer cut in the end of the axle. I took my die grinder and cut it in there. It slid in like butter this time. Once we began bolting the cradle in, we discovered that the Pfadt adapters had to have the bolt head side facing the outside, otherwise they wouldn't clear the cradle, so we reversed the bolts and nuts.

After all of that, I began checking the exhaust clearances. It doesn't fit!! UGH! I haven't decided what I'm going to do about it yet. I have cut and welded pipes before, but I'm afraid it will take too much trial and error with stainless U-bends to justify the expense since they're so expensive. I have a friend that owns an exhaust shop. I am going to call him to see what he can do for me. Until then, I'm stuck.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:34 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Need some pictures

I'll be doing the same thing in the fall when I get to that part of the rebuild.

I bought a set of Magnaflows that come in (3) pieces like the borla stingers, so hopefully they'll have enough adjustment in them to work.

What did you do with the brake lines ? I was thinking of drilling a couple of holes like the factory did to hold the line in place.

I'm most interested on how did the cooler hook-up. I'm not sure if I'm going to need the cooler since I won't really be tracking the car, except to figure out how fast it does a 1/4 mile.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:27 PM
QuickZoh6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have heard that the easiest way to fix the exhaust problem is to cut it right behind the 2-bolt flange where the over axle pipe bolts onto the x-pipe. cut out a 2" section from there, weld the flanges to the new part of the pipe, then cut the pipe at the peak of where it goes over the axles, and weld in that 2" section of pipe that you just cut out, and weld it in at that spot. Basically extending, and widening the "U" shape going over the axles.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:57 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Need some pictures

I'll be doing the same thing in the fall when I get to that part of the rebuild.

I bought a set of Magnaflows that come in (3) pieces like the borla stingers, so hopefully they'll have enough adjustment in them to work.

What did you do with the brake lines ? I was thinking of drilling a couple of holes like the factory did to hold the line in place.

I'm most interested on how did the cooler hook-up. I'm not sure if I'm going to need the cooler since I won't really be tracking the car, except to figure out how fast it does a 1/4 mile.

So you want pics of me throwing stuff because my exhaust won't go together?? JK

I re-bent them a little by hand so they don't rub anything and they're fine.
I ordered the cooler and they told me that it won't be here for 2 weeks, so I looped the output of the pump back to the input of the trans and will put it in when it gets here. I was hoping to drive it, but I have to figure out this exhaust mess first.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:02 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by QuickZoh6
I have heard that the easiest way to fix the exhaust problem is to cut it right behind the 2-bolt flange where the over axle pipe bolts onto the x-pipe. cut out a 2" section from there, weld the flanges to the new part of the pipe, then cut the pipe at the peak of where it goes over the axles, and weld in that 2" section of pipe that you just cut out, and weld it in at that spot. Basically extending, and widening the "U" shape going over the axles.
I have been trying to sleep while grinding this exhaust in my head over and over and over......I came up with the same idea, so I went out in the garage and looked it over and it might work. I don't like the exhaust so close to the cooler block either. The other problem is that I have 2.5" going back and 2.75" going over. I'm going to have to buy some U-bends and get to chopping and welding.

And yes, I'll get pics.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
So you want pics of me throwing stuff because my exhaust won't go together?? JK

I re-bent them a little by hand so they don't rub anything and they're fine.
I ordered the cooler and they told me that it won't be here for 2 weeks, so I looped the output of the pump back to the input of the trans and will put it in when it gets here. I was hoping to drive it, but I have to figure out this exhaust mess first.
Stoled this from another thread, not sure it will help you since he did not do cooler install.

More info here.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...de-a-c5-2.html
Old 05-05-2009, 08:54 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Thanks man! You're awesome. I was trying to sleep while thinking about it and after not being able to sleep, I went back out and took a look and was thinking that I could extend the hoop above the axle to add clearance. I got on the computer and coincidentally, I got a PM from QuickZoh6 and he told me that he was told the same thing by a shop. I went to Dallas Performance and bought a 90 degree bend and started chopping up my exhaust. It's going to take some work, but I'll get it done and pics will follow.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

No problem, glad to see that you got a plan.

Lots of work involved in doing these swaps.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-06-2009, 01:35 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Yesterday, I cut the driver side pipe where it goes over the axle and tacked a test section of mild steel in line. After a test fit, I decided it needed to be a bit longer, so I cut the stainless and welded it in. Then I cut the flange off up front along with some extra pipe and rewelded the flange back on. It fits now up front, but I had to re-clock the pipe away from the cooler and lines on the diff. This forces me to chop the rear flange off the last piece in the rear and re-fit it as well. I took some pics, but it will take some time to upload them and I will do it when I get time. I want to focus on the task at hand. What I'm thinking of doing is cutting the flange off along with a couple inches of pipe and then having the other end expanded at an exhaust shop so I'll have some room to adjust before I weld it. That will provide a better guarantee that it fits better. More coming soon.

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06; 05-08-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:52 PM
175plus
Instructor

BRETT nice write up....keep up the good work.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:08 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 175plus
BRETT nice write up....keep up the good work.
Thanks Gus!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Ok. I got the exhaust system worked out. It was not too bad. The driver side doesn't have much room between the exhaust and the heat exchanger for the differential, so I'm going to wrap the exhaust and lightly modify it in that area. I cut the hoops and extended them. I can weld mild steel fine, but not so well with the stainless wire. Part of it may be because I use gold gas instead of straight argon. I tacked the passenger side together and am going to my neighbors house to TIG weld it so it'll look nicer. Also I sold my old tranny to Rick aka. ragtopws6. He was nice enough to send me pics of the carnage.

Here's the exhaust hoop uncut.

I cut the hoop

You can see how close it still is, but it is rigid, so no risk of interference here.

Here's how close it is to the heat exchanger.

Here's some pics of the notorious 3rd gear carnage that happens due to having to multiply torque through the cluster.

Looks like these gears are in need of a good set of dentures.

Attached Images       

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06; 03-23-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:14 AM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Lookin' great on the exhaust... the old tranny however
Old 05-07-2009, 07:01 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Mr.Big
Lookin' great on the exhaust... the old tranny however
Thanks Big.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:57 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

The exhaust is all welded up now and everything seems to fit just fine. We went back over my "blobby" welds with a TIG torch without feeding any more rod in and it looks much nicer. I have some other things that I need to address while I have the car apart, so after I take care of everything else, I'll button it all up and get my baby back on the ground where it belongs. I'm going to AtomicC6's house this weekend to change out a wobbly balancer on his TT monster, so I won't be back on this project until next week. I will report back with more pics as things come together.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Good work!!!! Wish I had a TIG. Bookmarking this page for future reference. I might be needing the info soon

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone want a transmission that will hold your F/I, nitrous power???

Old 05-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Looks great Bret!

On another note, I drove through Forney twice yesterday going to and from Dallas Performance. I was thinking "damn he needs to get that car on the road so I can see it fly past me" LOL
Old 05-08-2009, 09:50 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Nice job.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:58 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by TXZ0603
Good work!!!! Wish I had a TIG. Bookmarking this page for future reference. I might be needing the info soon
If you still have my # call me and I'll help you out. If not, PM me and I'll give it to you again.

Originally Posted by Corvette-Chris
Looks great Bret!

On another note, I drove through Forney twice yesterday going to and from Dallas Performance. I was thinking "damn he needs to get that car on the road so I can see it fly past me" LOL
I do flybys on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Nice job.
Thanks Tony!

Quick Reply: Anyone want a transmission that will hold your F/I, nitrous power???