C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 427 warhawk for my C5Z!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New 427 warhawk for my C5Z!

Just want to run this by you folks to see if I am making any mistakes with the selections....
  • Warhawk 427 short World Products WARHAWK
    aluminum LS1 block. 9.240" deck height, priority main oiling, billet main caps, 6
    bolt holes per cylinder, pt# 086220. Balanced, blueprinted & assembled
    shortblock. Parts: Callies Compstar 4340 4.0" stroke crankshaft, Callies 6.125" H-I rods w/ ARP 2000 7/16" bolts, Wiseco 4.125" forged turbo duty pistons w/tool steel wrist pins & anti friction coating on skirts, NPR stainless chrome top(for high heat applications)-napier 2nd-3mm oil rings, Clevite MS2199H mains, Clevite CB 663 H rods Dura Bond cam bearings. 9.5:1 cr
  • WARHAWK LS7X 285cc intake runner complete heads for Hyd. roller, 6 bolt holes per cylinder.Parts: Manley 2.200 intake valves, stainless 1.625" exhaust valves, Manley Nex Tek dual valve springs good to .700" lift, Manley titanium
    retainers, Manley machined locks, Manley machined locators, Viton valve seal w/steel jacket.
  • Competition valve job, lap in valve job, blend in valve job to intake & exhaust ports & chambers, measure chamber volume, mill heads to desired chamber volume,measure & set valve guide to stem clearence, set up springs for specific camshaft.
  • Cam Motion Hyd. roller camshaft
  • Manley one piece chromoly push rods Roll master double roller timing set w/ torington bearing & nitrided gears. Rocker arms Jesel Pro Series shaft mounted adj. roller rockers 1.8 1.8 ratio 4 Bolt Kit Warhawk accessory kit: Rear cover &
    gasket, oil galley & water plugs, valley cover, ARP 6 bolt head studs Head gasket Fel Pro MLS head gaskets for Warhawk block Melling LS Melling 10295 high pressure, coated oil pump/ ported LS Vett Power Bond SFI Corvette 10%
    underdrive balancer w/ARP balancer bolt assemble complete longblock ( degree cam, check P to V, install heads, set up valve train)
  • Ported LS7 intake manifiold
  • New water pump.
  • FIDANZA OR SPEC TWIN DISC CLUTCH (1300 HP CAPACITY)
  • NEW SLAVE CYLINDER
  • PFADT POLYEUROTHANE TRANS AXLE BRACE
  • DTE TRANS AND DIFF BRACE
  • PFADT C5 POLYEUROTHANE ENGINE MOUNTS
  • BUILT 342 DIFFERENTIAL 300M HARDENED OUTPUT SHAFT AND BEEFED UP CLUTCH PACK
  • REAR ALUMINUM DRIVE SHAFT COUPLER
  • AEROMOTIVE FUEL SYSTEM (1000 HP CAPACITY) INCLUDES BILLET FUEL RAILS AND STEEL BRAIDED FUEL LINES W/AIRCRAFT FITTINGS AND PRESSURE REGULATOR.
  • NEW FUEL INJECTORS
  • Thicker Tunnel plate
  • Pfadt carbon fiber driveshaft
  • Beefed up transmission - Level 5

I didn't pick out most of this stuff myself, but just asked a shop to give me a wish list of the top of the line components for a killer build to go along with my STS twin turbo setup.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:50 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

find a better form of FI than the sts if you're looking to run the number....
Old 09-16-2009, 10:03 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Z
to go along with my STS twin turbo setup.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:14 PM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 407 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Old 09-16-2009, 10:22 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by slowtealz28
Old 09-16-2009, 10:23 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Just want to run this by you folks to see if I am making any mistakes with the selections....
[list][*]WARHAWK LS7X 285cc intake runner complete heads for Hyd. roller, 6 bolt holes per cylinder.Parts: Manley 2.200 intake valves, stainless 1.625" exhaust valves, Manley Nex Tek dual valve springs good to .700" lift, Manley titanium
retainers, Manley machined locks, Manley machined locators, Viton valve seal w/steel jacket.[*]Competition valve job, lap in valve job, blend in valve job to intake & exhaust ports & chambers, measure chamber volume, mill heads to desired chamber volume,measure & set valve guide to stem clearence, set up springs for specific camshaft.
And pick different heads. Warhawk LS7X heads have exhaust flow issues
Old 09-16-2009, 10:41 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Old 09-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Z06wanted
Melting Slicks

So this is a wish list or a build?
Old 09-16-2009, 11:07 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Z06wanted
He said a wish list.... Be nice shane.....Looks like a nice one which ever it is or becomes. I also agree on the heads better out on the market for the money...
Old 09-17-2009, 12:45 AM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Actually I like the STS setup. Better weight distribution then putting all the hardware under the hood, plus it gets all that heat out of there. Different strokes, fellas, and this is the stroke I wanted with FI. When I look at an underhood turbo setup, it looks like some drunk plumber's nightmare..... Thanks, but NO thanks.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MyFirstCorvette
And pick different heads. Warhawk LS7X heads have exhaust flow issues
What sort of issues? If you don't mind elaborating a bit...
Old 09-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z06wanted
Actually, I am going to have this built unless I hear of an overriding reason why I shouldn't. It mainly started out being just a yearn to have a 427 engine in my vette, and then got away from me. Sold off much of my gun collection and had some money to spend. Was looking to buy a 2009 Z06 (that 427 thing again), but the dealers were apparently intent on going down with the ship. So I decided to put the money into my 2002 Z06 instead.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:04 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

What sort of issues? If you don't mind elaborating a bit...
Intake flows WAYY more than the exhaust. Makes getting the correct cam profile difficult. I wouldnt use those heads.

Have you ever driven in an STS car and a front mount/TTI car?

I'm guessing you havent...

FYI, the TTI x kit is hidden. Not much to see when you open the hood. Almost looks stock except for the intercooler.

You should give Nick/George a call at TTi 253.475.8319

Using that setup with a STS is a waste IMHO. Unless its TOTALLY custom. And if the car is a manual, well..
Old 09-17-2009, 09:05 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Intake flows WAYY more than the exhaust. Makes getting the correct cam profile difficult. I wouldnt use those heads.

Have you ever driven in an STS car and a front mount/TTI car?

I'm guessing you havent...

FYI, the TTI x kit is hidden. Not much to see when you open the hood. Almost looks stock except for the intercooler.

You should give Nick/George a call at TTi 253.475.8319

Using that setup with a STS is a waste IMHO. Unless its TOTALLY custom. And if the car is a manual, well..
Almost any other set up will blow the doors off of the sts.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Actually, I'm perfectly happy with the STS system, thank you very much. It provides an acceptable balance between the pros and cons of any add-on power adder I considered.

As for the claim about the Warhawk heads:
I have been unable to find anything on the web that supports the negative implications that statement makes. Every head I have looked at flows way more on the intake then on the exhaust. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out just looking at the diameter of the intake and exhaust valves. So apparently this is a completely acceptable design. So if you wouldn't use heads that flow more air in the intake then the exhaust, then just what heads DO you use?

So does anyone have any credible references about this "issue"? Quite frankly, all of my research came up with all positive reviews. Now there were some issues with World Products in the past, but all the later reviews seem to indicate that these were PAST issues.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:33 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Actually, I'm perfectly happy with the STS system, thank you very much. It provides an acceptable balance between the pros and cons of any add-on power adder I considered.

As for the claim about the Warhawk heads:

I have been unable to find anything on the web that supports the negative implications that statement makes. Every head I have looked at flows way more on the intake then on the exhaust. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out just looking at the diameter of the intake and exhaust valves. So apparently this is a completely acceptable design. So if you wouldn't use heads that flow more air in the intake then the exhaust, then just what heads DO you use?

So does anyone have any credible references about this "issue"? Quite frankly, all of my research came up with all positive reviews. Now there were some issues with World Products in the past, but all the later reviews seem to indicate that these were PAST issues.
You have a very intesting personality. You ask for opinions but then get upset when people disagree with you?

I'm no engine builder but OBVIOUSLY the intake is going to flow more than the exhaust. The problem is that it flows WAYY more.

Thank you for letting me know that intake valves are larger than exhaust valves

Do some more research. It took me 5 minutes of googling to locate the info.

Or, instead of asking opinions, just do what you want.

PM me when your build is done, if ever, I'll be more than happy to line up next to you
Old 09-17-2009, 12:46 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually I like the STS setup. Better weight distribution then putting all the hardware under the hood, plus it gets all that heat out of there. Different strokes, fellas, and this is the stroke I wanted with FI. When I look at an underhood turbo setup, it looks like some drunk plumber's nightmare..... Thanks, but NO thanks.
I know that it's your money and you'll do what you want, but with the TTiX kit, there are no drunk plumber issues because you don't even see the plumbing and it's been proven time and time again to put down some BIG power! The weight is in the middle/front of the car and won't throw off the weight bias, where the turbo's in the rear might help with drag racing, but not so much in the twisties! Just my thoughts and could be completely wrong, but I just wanted to put it out there!

If you're comparing a front mount turbo to a plumber, then the STS setup is like a plumber's crack because it's hanging out in the rear of the car like a plumber with some droopy drawers!

As far as the heads go, why don't you talk to some of our vendors here because they have some SICK powerful cars and might have more insight on parts because they deal with them more than most of us do?

Good Luck and either way, it should be BEAST when it's done!

Get notified of new replies

To New 427 warhawk for my C5Z!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:09 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

You have a very intesting personality. You ask for opinions but then get upset when people disagree with you?

I'm no engine builder but OBVIOUSLY the intake is going to flow more than the exhaust. The problem is that it flows WAYY more.

PM me when your build is done, if ever, I'll be more than happy to line up next to you
David, I can see a race going on here. Be easy on him, he will come around some time down the road, or sell it one.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:14 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by robert miller
David, I can see a race going on here. Be easy on him, he will come around some time down the road, or sell it one.

At least its not a 7.5:1 compression 346!

With a 427 it should be "ok", unless he does A LOT of customizing
Old 09-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Ah, kids...... Don't you just love them? And your lining up next to me would prove what exactly? That your peepee is bigger than my peepee?

Nope, I'm not upset at all. You are making claims that as far as I can tell are completely unsupported by credible evidence. I had hoped someone with some credible references would review the specs I listed on my new drivetrain and give me some feedback. Obviously you are unable to supply those credible references via links or you would have done so.

For instance, why would a head flowing WAY more air than the exhaust be a BIG problem like you infer?

Actually that build in the first post of this thread is one recommended to my by a builder, and I am checking up on his choices. So far I haven't heard anything credible to dispute those choices except some nebulous unsupportable claims about air flow differences between intake and exhaust.

And yes, this build WILL be done. Care to wager any REAL money on that?

Quick Reply: New 427 warhawk for my C5Z!