C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd stock longblock into the 9s

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:56 AM
clemsondave
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2nd stock longblock into the 9s

and this time with a 6 speed!!!!!!!

Thought I would post in the FI section for those that don't wonder to the Perf Results section. I was hoping to scare Chris Stewart's auto conversion 9.7x, but that might be out of reach for where I want the car.

What a great time yesterday! That's what this is all about. I had a blast! My wife and friends even enjoyed it. They asked when we were going to do it again. Of course not sure when/if that will happen.

Big thanks to everyone that helped yesterday. I owe much of it to two guys. Chris Uzzel for helping me turn wrenches and getting this thing to the amazing car it is. Steve Williams (Frost) for setting me up with an amazing tune. Who'd a thought a stock longblock could do this??

This was my first time out with radials. I was also a little rusty as I only had 8 passes in 2009 coming into this event. My shifts were dead on all day. On the passes we logged, the shifts were within 8 rpm of our target. Took me a little time to figure out the launches though. It was pretty cool to bust it out in the last 5 minutes of the day. Gotta love the pressure!

Details
'03 Z06
A&A D1SC
100% stock longblock
Stock transmission (M12 6 speed)
Stock differential with both hardened output shafts
Stock gears
Stock rear suspension

Here's the slip and video.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:08 PM
beavisr1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job!!!
Old 11-08-2009, 12:26 PM
obxfunn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10
FedEx Bowl 4 St. Jude '09

Awesome Dave!
Old 11-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Zosickness
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good run!
Old 11-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice work and great vid!

-
Old 11-08-2009, 03:45 PM
ttbestas
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so damn impressive. WOW!!! Congrats.
Could you tell us of all your mods, what cam do you run, how much boost, did you run it on race gas?
omg still cant believe it!!! awesome!
Old 11-08-2009, 04:01 PM
stainless40cal
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CONGRATS! Thats a huge accomplishment in these cars especially with your near stock drivetrain. Do you know what kind of power you are putting down?
Old 11-08-2009, 04:21 PM
ttbestas
Pro

just saw in the other thread that all this happend on stock longblock even the camshaft is stock which makes it even more impressive
Old 11-08-2009, 04:43 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Wow!! Great run man!!
Old 11-08-2009, 04:46 PM
clemsondave
Drifting

Originally Posted by stainless40cal
CONGRATS! Thats a huge accomplishment in these cars especially with your near stock drivetrain. Do you know what kind of power you are putting down?
thanks. proud to say I've never broken anything. pays to be smooth.

Originally Posted by ttbestas
just saw in the other thread that all this happend on stock longblock even the camshaft is stock which makes it even more impressive
Yep, motor was never touched

Gears were the tough part. I was sooo tempted to toss some gears in it. I bet that's costing me .3 or more. I'm only crossing at apx 6k. It would help my 60' too. I just didn't want to mess with the street manners.

Last time I went to dyno it was in the upper 80's. 651/540.

On the track I have always run 100 octane and a crap load of meth. 93 on the street, but I don't lay into it.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Robert56@RNS
Collections Hold

Dave that is absolutely fantastic. That is my goal, 9's with stock running gear. Not too many, at any power level, have been able to get into the 9's with the stick. Fine job indeed. You now own, with out a shadow of doubt, the stock long-block Z06 record. Chris still has the modified running gear (auto conversion) stock block record.

That launch looks great, nice and smooth. Could you elaborate? What tires? What RPM? What clutch action? and so on...
Robert
Old 11-08-2009, 06:12 PM
0Arun@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Congrats bro!!!
Old 11-08-2009, 06:16 PM
csexton
Team Owner

Terrific run and I enjoyed the vid. Congrats

Chuck
Old 11-08-2009, 07:19 PM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

awesome! Great run, what clutch is in the car and how much boost does it see there?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:26 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

congrats Dave!

way to row threw those gears, and with a turbo no less. IMO, that is the most challanging setup to produce quick times from. well done.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:35 PM
clemsondave
Drifting

Originally Posted by Robert56@RNS
Dave that is absolutely fantastic. That is my goal, 9's with stock running gear. Not too many, at any power level, have been able to get into the 9's with the stick. Fine job indeed. You now own, with out a shadow of doubt, the stock long-block Z06 record. Chris still has the modified running gear (auto conversion) stock block record.

That launch looks great, nice and smooth. Could you elaborate? What tires? What RPM? What clutch action? and so on...
Robert
Originally Posted by Superman09
awesome! Great run, what clutch is in the car and how much boost does it see there?
Thanks everyone. Clutch is a McLeod RXT twin ceramic with a Tick master. Feels very close to a stock pedal, yet obviously holds a lot of power.

Robert, tires were Hoosier Drag Radials 255/50-16. Learned these tires like a LOT of air in them and a lot of RPMs. Ended up with 23#, but could probably go higher. Launch was north of 5k, but a very slow release of the clutch to prevent shock to the system.

The key is to feed throttle as the clutch starts to grab. You cannot let the RPMs drop below your max HP point.

Everyone has their own style, but I believe the clutch is a consumable if you are going to have big power. Let the clutch do it's thing and you will save a lot of broken parts. There are a lot of videos of my passes. Nothing looks violent at all. That's because I have a slow release of the clutch.

Pretty sure Robz has a similar approach. He cut some low 1.3 60', yet it still didn't look violent. He also uses a McLeod clutch.

McLeod rebuilds are $300 plus $125 for balancing. I'll take that over $3k+ for diffs/trans.

I'm pretty proud to have done it with a 6 speed, but have to admit - I get a little jealous when I hear Chris having to detune to run 10.00. Pretty amazing what these stock blocks are capable of.

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
congrats Dave!

way to row threw those gears, and with a turbo no less. IMO, that is the most challanging setup to produce quick times from. well done.
Thanks. No turbo here though. A&A D1SC

Last edited by clemsondave; 11-08-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Streetfast
Burning Brakes

Congrats

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd stock longblock into the 9s

Old 11-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Congrats Dave and damn fine drivin. A nice reward getting your goal, that you've been planning all year and did it. Amazing that a stock motor LS6 can run into single digit race car territory with proper setup. Sets the bar pretty high!

I like that launch technique, you can see exactly what's happening in the video. Ride the clutch out from the start to the tree. When I realized that trick, I already switched to auto, but I do like the torque converter.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by clemsondave
...... I believe the clutch is a consumable....... That's because I have a slow release of the clutch.

Wow, how many runs do you actually get out of a clutch? I think I'd rather switch to an auto trans, rather than a "slow release" of a clutch. I just don't see how clutch can last very long at all with that technique.

But hey, it worked for a 9 sec pass.

-
Old 11-09-2009, 08:27 AM
clemsondave
Drifting

I pulled it out before the rental. It had about 30 passes on it. No bluing on the flywheel, zero dust and almost no wear on it.

If you want all out ET or bracket/index racing, I agree that auto is better. I just think the 6 speed is more fun and more of a challenge on the driver.

Quick Reply: 2nd stock longblock into the 9s