C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt tensioner bending/ breaking problem with newer A&A kit with an YSi

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:57 PM
jmoody66
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default The chicken or the egg?

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Good to see you guys that saved $1000. from buying the A&A kit vs. the ECS kit are getting things all worked out with the bigger head unit$ and HD spring tensioner$.
I was under the impression that the A&A kit was the original kit out there which, if true, bs stones like that are uncalled for.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:07 AM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoody66
I was under the impression that the A&A kit was the original kit out there which, if true, bs stones like that are uncalled for.
not nice but we all break stuff on our kits!! even other brands these kits are a amazing what they can do lots of hp 800-1000 stuff breaks even ecs! and its not fun or cheap! so lets all play nice were all in this together (boost addiction)
Old 05-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Arun@ChampionMotors
Thanks bro-I hear your hauling, 900 rwhp@15psi on pump and no meth is sick bro!

Actually 756@15 psi on a mainline dyno so I'm high 800's at the crank. I couldn't boost over 15 psi do to belt slip. This was before the ECS bracket and flip drive. So I think 20 psi would get me well over 900 rwhp
Old 05-31-2010, 11:01 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon619
Actually 756@15 psi on a mainline dyno so I'm high 800's at the crank. I couldn't boost over 15 psi do to belt slip. This was before the ECS bracket and flip drive. So I think 20 psi would get me well over 900 rwhp
Brandon, That thing is moving at whatever h.p. I am hoping that my parts dont go south on me man. But I do love this YSI unit just like the F1 unit that you have these beast dont stop pulling until you let up on the right foot. Man if you are ever out this way call will go out and eat.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:08 PM
0HunterC5
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you thought about buying the Flip Drive kit? This will take alot of the strain off of the tensioner and the rest of the drive system all together.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:02 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by HunterC5
Have you thought about buying the Flip Drive kit? This will take alot of the strain off of the tensioner and the rest of the drive system all together.
Yeah. He though about it.
Then he bought it.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:31 PM
wilson34
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HunterC5
The flipdrive may actually put more strain on the tensioner since you can now really crank down the manual tensioner since the drive belt no longer hits the other accessories.

That is why they weld the tensioner once you go to the flip drive because now you can tighten down that belt and don't need the automatic tensioner anymore except to be an idler.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by wilson34
The flipdrive may actually put more strain on the tensioner since you can now really crank down the manual tensioner since the drive belt no longer hits the other accessories.

That is why they weld the tensioner once you go to the flip drive because now you can tighten down that belt and don't need the automatic tensioner anymore except to be an idler.
I'm going to give Aruns HD tensioner a try. I know he has put some serious strain on them and they keep working
Old 06-02-2010, 10:29 PM
0Arun@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tensioners ordered this week have shipped-I'll be emailing everyone who orderd instructions as well as posting them here.

Thanks guys!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:34 PM
aTX427
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by wilson34

I would think that he may be over tightening to compensage for the longer belt. My F1R is a lot harder to spin than the Ysi and I can easily control belt tension with my current setup, where I was breaking accessories before.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:30 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Although possibly uncalled for is true, the rest of your statement is 100% FALSE.

ECS has been in the supercharger game from day 1 along with A&A, our kit has been THE pioneer of HD supercharging performance, not the other way around!

ECS has always focused on performance first, not selling a cheap kit first, hence why you do not see posts with HD tensioner upgrades for the ECS kit etc. It is also the reason why we have lead the way in every type of supercharging performance records from as far back as 99/00 when we were the first shop to break 500rwhp supercharged, to having just about every stock bottom end record, let alone our hard core cars.

Get your facts straight boys...

OP, go with Arun's HD tensioner, he'll fix you right up.

We have also sold many of our tensioner assemblies to A&A owners who cut the bottom of their SC bracket off to adapt to our set up.

Last edited by DOUG @ ECS; 06-03-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Doug,

I have always respect your advice and appreciate your help over the years.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:34 PM
0Arun@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my attempt at some instructions-any questions just email, pm or call me.

First off remove the the old tensioner and pulley-use the new shorter supplied bolt and bolt it on the new HD tensioner.

Now bolt on the adapter plate to existing hole and line up the plate to the bracket.

Now bolton the tensioner-use the other round spacer on the opposite side of the tensioner.

Get everything lined up and drill the top hole in the adapter plate out to 5/16 and tap to 3/8-16. Install the last bolt-tighten it up and your done.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

looks easy to me! if you never tapped aluminum oil helps the tap. don't force it work it slow and back it out if it gets hard! clean tap shavings out and add oil start tapping take your time
Old 06-04-2010, 05:59 AM
Mike04
Safety Car

Thanks Arun, can't wait to get mine installed and put some dyno numbers down finally
Old 06-04-2010, 07:43 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike04
Thanks Arun, can't wait to get mine installed and put some dyno numbers down finally
Get ready to change the #'s in your picture too.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Mike04
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Get ready to change the #'s in your picture too.
I hope to have a picture with the front tires off the ground to go along with the new times

Get notified of new replies

To Belt tensioner bending/ breaking problem with newer A&A kit with an YSi

Old 06-04-2010, 11:50 AM
jmoody66
Drifting

Default Have these issues been solved?

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Good to see you guys that saved $1000. from buying the A&A kit vs. the ECS kit are getting things all worked out with the bigger head unit$ and HD spring tensioner$.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...e-enter-2.html

Im considering a change.....but wanted to make sure these problems were addressed.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:53 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...e-enter-2.html

Im considering a change.....but wanted to make sure these problems were addressed.

Wow congrats, that must of taken a while to find.

That was a bad batch of HD idlers so yes.. which is why we make them in house now, and that customer received them for free.

I believe what Jay was trying to convey, but unfortunately put a spin on it that apparently disturbed you, is that all of our HD 8 second cars run the same set up as our stock engine customers. Or to be more comparable, a common street car with an eight rib belt, has the identical set up to Digivex's 3600+ car that has ran 9.3's. Take the ET out of the equation since some of that is from it being a power glide car, but the point is that there were no additions to his base kit necessary like tensioners-head units and so on to not only run those times, but hold steady boost and be consistent with the ET's too.

Again, all without upgrading which costs far more then purchasing it ready to go from the start.

That's just one example, we have 100's, and more importantly we have cars that compete nearly every weekend that way. Their point leads can be followed at ECS Corvette challenge web site in my sig below. Proving their reliability in the harshest environments, and where a bad day cannot just not be discussed like at a rental.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:55 AM
jmoody66
Drifting

Default Nah it was an ez search...modern search engines

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Wow congrats, that must of taken a while to find.

That was a bad batch of HD idlers so yes.. which is why we make them in house now, and that customer received them for free.

I believe what Jay was trying to convey, but unfortunately put a spin on it that apparently disturbed you, is that all of our HD 8 second cars run the same set up as our stock engine customers. Or to be more comparable, a common street car with an eight rib belt, has the identical set up to Digivex's 3600+ car that has ran 9.3's. Take the ET out of the equation since some of that is from it being a power glide car, but the point is that there were no additions to his base kit necessary like tensioners-head units and so on to not only run those times, but hold steady boost and be consistent with the ET's too.

Again, all without upgrading which costs far more then purchasing it ready to go from the start.

That's just one example, we have 100's, and more importantly we have cars that compete nearly every weekend that way. Their point leads can be followed at ECS Corvette challenge web site in my sig below. Proving their reliability in the harshest environments, and where a bad day cannot just not be discussed like at a rental.

I recognize that you have a great kit but you see....your kit had issues in the past two but to make statements like "ECS has always focused on performance first, not selling a cheap kit first, hence why you do not see posts with HD tensioner upgrades for the ECS kit etc" are a crappy way of saying someone elses product isnt as good. Be blunt and tell me whose selling a cheap kit out there. Please I want to know because I dont want to become a victim of this cheap kit. I read many of your post from the past and they took mucho stabs. Anyway thats neither here nor there.
For history sake did you completely design from scratch your system and do you make a majority of the parts in house. If so how long would it take for parts should a problem arise? Im considering your product for a future build and like to know history and how you will treat me after the sale.

Quick Reply: Belt tensioner bending/ breaking problem with newer A&A kit with an YSi