C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt tensioner bending/ breaking problem with newer A&A kit with an YSi

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:09 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike04
Turns out I blew the down tube off the SC outlet. The 90 deg elbow hit the road and I ended up with a hole in it.
I don't think a polished volute with no lip is the way to go when you're producing any significant boost. I welded a bead around the very end of the outlet on mine so it can't come off very easily. The next one I installed, I tried Andy's simpler recommendation and put a little 35 grit grinder disc to the surface where it comes in contact with the hose. If you haven't already done it, the next time you have yours off, I would highly recommend you do one (or both) of the two above modifications.

Originally Posted by Mike04
The car dynoed around 720 rwhp with no meth and low timing. It better have a lot more in it after all the trouble I've been through.

Hopefully I will have some final numbers by the end of the week.
Trust me. You have plenty more in it.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:41 AM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default A&A sent me a new one when broke

Originally Posted by Andy@AandACorvette
I honestly have no idea why, all of a sudden, we have a couple of guys breaking tensioners.
While it's only a couple and only those pushing big horsepower, it got my attention.
We have over a thousand supercharger kits and hundreds of 8 rib setups running this tensioner without any issues.
I talked to the engineers at Gates and they also have no idea, as no changes have been made to the tensioners.
Anyway, I spent most of the week making a new bracket that will take care of any future issues.
It uses a stronger tensioner, changes the angle of the tensioner and allows belt changes without removing the blower.
It's something I've been I've been playing with for a while, but when I heard that we had a couple of failures I made a concerted effort to get it finished.
I put one on my car today with a YSI.
when mine broke Andy sent me a new one fast thats great service I'm not blaming A&A there are too many other things that could have caused this but Andy stood up and helped me with the parts i needed and never blamed me great service
Old 06-12-2010, 03:26 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy@AandACorvette
I honestly have no idea why, all of a sudden, we have a couple of guys breaking tensioners.
While it's only a couple and only those pushing big horsepower, it got my attention.
We have over a thousand supercharger kits and hundreds of 8 rib setups running this tensioner without any issues.
I talked to the engineers at Gates and they also have no idea, as no changes have been made to the tensioners.
Anyway, I spent most of the week making a new bracket that will take care of any future issues.
It uses a stronger tensioner, changes the angle of the tensioner and allows belt changes without removing the blower.
It's something I've been I've been playing with for a while, but when I heard that we had a couple of failures I made a concerted effort to get it finished.
I put one on my car today with a YSI.
Can't wait to see the new bracket Andy!!
Old 10-12-2015, 02:12 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

hate to bump an ancient thread but I just went through this with a Gen1 version of this A&A bracket and thought I'd put a few of my thoughts down for anyone else to maybe be helpful

1. if you have this old bracket, my first recommendation would be to upgrade to the new A&A or an ECS style bracket. doing belt swaps on this old bracket is a nightmare and there is a reason all the new brackets look completely different than this one. Installing the whole bracket and getting it all lined up and fitting well in the car with the blower on it is a huge PITA.

2. my setup required a new belt for some reason when I swapped to this tensioner I'm pretty sure just due to the way it sits and the throw of the arm is different. I haven't gotten it installed because of this but I'm guessing it will need another couple inches longer belt.

3. drilling and tapping the bracket is SUPER easy and unless you never work on your car at all, this is an easy one day job.

4. while you have it all apart, highly recommend laser aligning it all with the Gates tool. my power steering and alternator were both about 1/2 rib off.

Andy and Josh customer service is A+ and I can't recommend them highly enough.

Quick Reply: Belt tensioner bending/ breaking problem with newer A&A kit with an YSi