C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Best Drag Radial
Nitto 555r
7.25%
Mickey's
72.46%
M and H
14.49%
Toyo Proxes TQ
5.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

best drag radial for a 800hp plus

Old 08-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Rkreigh
CF Senior Member

the hoosiers are a very under rated tire

stick like grim death. I have the 315s on a set of ZR-1 a molds

no 60 fts yet, but for sure they grip. I've driven them on the street and they handle just fine (35 profile, fairly stiff sidewall)

but as mentioned these are slicks with 2 grooves

don't even think about driving them in the wet, you'll swap ends at 20 mph!!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:11 PM
denscor
CF Senior Member

Old 08-19-2010, 12:58 PM
gorillavet
CF Senior Member

Interesting some of the hoosier comments. I found them not to grip well until very hot. Now once hot they did grip very well but no more so than the MT's. I have found the MT's to also grip pretty well cold. If your looking for long tire ware.....look somewhere else as both tires wear really fast.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Shad
CF Senior Member

Well, I don't have 800rwhp, but I absolutely LOVE my 315/35/18 Toyo TQ Drag Radials and I WILL buy another set once these wear. They actually fair decent in rain as well, just drive reasonable.
I think they hook up 500rwhp on the street pretty good to be honest. I can chirp them in 2nd and barely in 3rd but they mostly squat and go. Plus, these tires are made for independent rear axle'd vehicles and ride smooth as silk compared to the GY SC run flats. They handle the curves fairly well also if you like spirited backroad driving!
I have about 5,000 miles on my set and I honestly think I could get 8k out of them before having to replace them. I typcially run 25psi at all times on the street.

Last edited by Shad; 08-19-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:07 PM
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by gorillavet View Post
Interesting some of the hoosier comments. I found them not to grip well until very hot. Now once hot they did grip very well but no more so than the MT's. I have found the MT's to also grip pretty well cold. If your looking for long tire ware.....look somewhere else as both tires wear really fast.
Well if you are a wild man with 1200+HP yes they will wear fast.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:23 PM
gorillavet
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 396375 View Post
Well if you are a wild man with 1200+HP yes they will wear fast.

You go to the strip with 300 horsepower and they will wear pretty quick.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:25 PM
gorillavet
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shad View Post
Well, I don't have 800rwhp, but I absolutely LOVE my 315/35/18 Toyo TQ Drag Radials and I WILL buy another set once these wear. They actually fair decent in rain as well, just drive reasonable.
I think they hook up 500rwhp on the street pretty good to be honest. I can chirp them in 2nd and barely in 3rd but they mostly squat and go. Plus, these tires are made for independent rear axle'd vehicles and ride smooth as silk compared to the GY SC run flats. They handle the curves fairly well also if you like spirited backroad driving!
I have about 5,000 miles on my set and I honestly think I could get 8k out of them before having to replace them. I typcially run 25psi at all times on the street.
I like the looks of them when I saw them. They just don't make a size big enough for me.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:16 PM
mark mc williams
CF Member

Default mickeys et street radials traction issues

Originally Posted by gorillavet View Post
For drag racing on a radial tire there is absolutely nothing better than the Mickey Thompson ET Streets.....PERIOD. Just do not drive on them in the rain..............EVER!!!
i spin the Et drag Radials in gears 1-4 in my 08 supercharged built Z06 vette with 748 rwhp, aprox 880 at the crank, i have to feather the throttle, or the Et's break lose and higher boost, or from a dead stop, i can smoke them for over a block if i wanted to while shiffting, but i dont want to wear out the tire, is there anything better stickier for street. seems like all this Hp is a waist, if you cant hook from dead stop, it is not a good day when a guy with 640 hp can beat you off the line, because he hooks, i actually see the rubber throw from the Et rear tires when i punch it. from a stop, if i hit it hard, they want to hook, but can't handle the Hp. thank you

Last edited by mark mc williams; 10-26-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:36 PM
mark mc williams
CF Member

Default M&H Drag radial tires

Originally Posted by easyvette View Post
There are a couple factors that come into this...
2) Is the car auto. (auto cars can hold most drag radials.)
3) Are you talking about going from a dig or going from a roll... (have not found a drag radial to hold my car from a dig and I have tried them all in the 18" size....
4) What size tire are we running here.... An 18/17/16?

IMHO (I have tried almost all the 18" drag radials and most are JUNK when it comes to holding the road from a roll....) From a dig I have not yet found one in the 18" size that even comes close to holding.. Almost at 800rwhp now...

By far the closet in an 18 drag radial I have found that will hold most times from a roll on the road is M&H Drag radial 325/45R18.... It is a very tall tire at 28" tall and its life on the street isnt that good but its a drag radial made to hook not last... The key to a tire holding is sidewall.... And believe it or not it drives decent when caught in the rain to a point. I even have the video somewhere to show how the M&H compares to a couple other drag radials on the market.

Down-side To stick those big M&H tires under the car you have to adjust some things... Providing you want a tire that will hold power... You need to reverse a couple clips on the inner fender liner and do a little flexing of the of the shield that wraps around the fuel tank... And just think after you this you can even get the 28" slicks under the car for the track!!!!!!!!
i have a hook issue on the street from a dead stop if i hit it hard, i have 748 RWHP supercharged, 08 z06 i can smoke the mickey ET II's for as long as i want it seems if i am on the throttle, and as my boost builds they break lose at higher RPM, and from a dead stop in gears 1-4. are the M&H the best traction for the street, and are they the M&H # ROD 23 M&H stock number, is this the same tire that you are talking about,, but diff size, it seems like a waist of power if i can't hook them, and when guys with 640 hp can beat me from a dead stop start becasue i am spinning so much, and i am at 880 hp at crank, the car has the power just cant hook from a dead stop if i punch it, it would be nice to use this power from the start, instead of at the end, and if i have to feather it then i dont use a ll the power, it would be nice to blow them away from the start also. thank you.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:42 PM
mobius
CF Senior Member

They last me about 500 miles then they don't hook worth a ****, awesome when new!
Old 10-26-2015, 09:21 PM
mark mc williams
CF Member

Originally Posted by mobius View Post
They last me about 500 miles then they don't hook worth a ****, awesome when new!
what ones M&H or Et II's
Old 10-26-2015, 09:36 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Another vote for the Toyo R888. The Toyo TQ's won't cut it.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:15 AM
mobius
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by mark mc williams View Post
what ones M&H or Et II's
Sorry the et II' s
Old 10-27-2015, 10:58 PM
robert miller
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,038 Posts
Default ttt

M&H has a softer side wall for sure. The M/T for all round plus some more miles on the street. If track only & a 15 inch rim the M/T 275.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:47 AM
CactusCat
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by robert miller View Post
M&H has a softer side wall for sure. The M/T for all round plus some more miles on the street. If track only & a 15 inch rim the M/T 275.
I'd do that in a heartbeat if I could swallow that $1500 15" spindle pill. Maybe some day when I'm old. I'm only 64 now...
Old 10-31-2015, 10:50 AM
CactusCat
CF Senior Member

It's also good to see this old thread revived (most of it was from 2010). There are LOTs more high HP cars these days it seems. Seems like every one is driving a high HP Camaro, Vette, CTS, Jeep, Mustang or GT-R these days. The old C5 had to stay up with the Jones.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:06 AM
mcshocks
CF Senior Member

I've had, MT's, M&H & Hoosier's. I've always had my best traction & tread life out of the Hoosiers and there the lightest of the bunch. Had the same results on my last car too and that was a pig of a car at 4,160lb race weight. Granted I'm only making 550 or so to the tires but the car hasn't event broke traction once at the track cutting 1.5 60's and runing 10.50's (car needs a little more power down low, leaves soft). I run around on the Hoosiers on the street a bit too (maybe have 1,200 miles on my current set and there's tons of tread left yet).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best drag radial for a 800hp plus

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: