C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit

Old 03-28-2002, 07:13 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit

Just curious if anyone out there is running (or thought of running) dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit? I would like to hear your well thought-out feedback on this.

From all the solenoid failures I've seen and read on many forums, the most common one is the nitrous solenoid sticking opened. So I'm thinking if we run dual nitrous solenoids, it will greatly reduce this risk. If one sticks opened, you still have the other to save your day. Of course you still won't know when one goes out (stuck open), so you still have to check it frequently.

The reason I did not mention anything about running dual fuel solenoids is because it's useless on the wet kit. You're screwed, if either one of the fuel solenoids sticking closed. And having more than one will greatly increase this chance of failure

So what do you think? Is it worth $100 (cost of a new nitrous solenoid) to run dual nitrous solenoids on a wet kit? Is there any potential issues that I've overlooked?

-Tuan
Old 03-28-2002, 08:29 PM
C5Noir
Safety Car

Default Re: Running dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit (Tuan Le)

Hell yeah it's worth it to me :D. $100 vs $5g's for a new motor :). It's a great idea, Tuan. I will be doing that with mine as well. (2 cheater solenoids inline) :D
Old 03-28-2002, 11:14 PM
intel55
Le Mans Master

IMO
I have heard about this for some time but do not know anybody actually doing it. The problem may :D be this. Lets say you have them both inline and after some time the "rear" one goes out and gets stuck open. Well I do not think you would know because the first one would still shut of the nitrous. So everything would still be OK, until :eek: :reddevil the first one got stuck open.
Now if the first one in the series got stuck open, you would still not know it because the rear one would be doing the job, until it failed. You would have one noid always stuck open that you would not know about becuase one would still be doing the job. Unless of course you checked them regularly. Now if you check the noids before you run them, then it should work fine.

This a big concern that my only lil workaround is to use a a/f meter modded by gadgetseller.com that should my a/f in .01 volt increments. However, this really would not help if the noid got stuck open because I doubt I would be fast enough to shut the engine off if I saw a lean spike and pin.
:cheers:
Old 03-28-2002, 11:58 PM
C5Noir
Safety Car

Default Re: Running dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit (intel55)

The best way to be sure they are both working or one is still working or what not is to wire up some leds to the solenoids. Wire up one led for each of the nitrous solenoids so that the LEDs light up when the circuit is closed. Then, when one fails the circuit would be open and the LED would go out ;). However, this is assuming the solenoids are wired in parallel, which they should be in that application :).

[Modified by C5Noir, 10:59 PM 3/28/2002]
Old 03-29-2002, 02:26 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Now if the first one in the series got stuck open, you would still not know it because the rear one would be doing the job, until it failed. You would have one noid always stuck open that you would not know about becuase one would still be doing the job. Unless of course you checked them regularly.
You will have to check out the solenoids regularly, regardless if you are running dual nitrous solenoids or not. Hopefully by running two, if one fails the other one will be able to do the job until the next time you check them. Where as running one, if it fails (stuck-open) then you are screwed right away.

-Tuan
Old 03-29-2002, 02:30 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: Running dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit (C5Noir)

The best way to be sure they are both working or one is still working or what not is to wire up some leds to the solenoids. Wire up one led for each of the nitrous solenoids so that the LEDs light up when the circuit is closed. Then, when one fails the circuit would be open and the LED would go out ;).
Since I am not an electrical engineer, you will have to help me out with the diagram here. :confused: How do get the LED's to tie in with the solenoids so they will detect whether the circuit is open or close.

Hey, we are make good progress here. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

-Tuan
Old 03-29-2002, 03:29 AM
intel55
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Running dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit (C5Noir)

The best way to be sure they are both working or one is still working or what not is to wire up some leds dto the solenoids. Wire up one led for each of the nitrous solenoids so that the LEDs light up when the circuit is closed. Then, when one fails the circuit would be open and the LED would go out ;). However, this is assuming the solenoids are wired in parallel, which they should be in that application :).

[Modified by C5Noir, 10:59 PM 3/28/2002]
That sounds like it would work well. :D :cheers:
Old 03-29-2002, 08:14 AM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the LED's would not indicate an internal mechanical or coil failure. they would only indicate that your wiring/switches to the noid were working right. But still a good idea. There is another way to check that noids are working fine. There are pressure transducers one could buy from Grainger that you can install right AFTER the noids to trigger an LED in the cockpit when pressure above, say, 100psi for n20 or 5psi for fuel is sensed in the lines between the noids motor (shark nozzle). very easy. If anyone needs info or part #'s, schematics, let me know. also, Tuan asked how to wire LEDs for the other idea: simply wire each leg of a standard auto LED (12vdc) in parallel to one each of the noid wires. Auto LEDs these days will unbias (light up) wired either way. another words, dont have to worry about anode/cathode polarity
Old 03-29-2002, 09:36 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: Running dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit (rwj383)

The pressure transducer idea sounds great. But it would only work if you put it in between the two nitrous solenoids. When the first solenoid stuck open, it would then detect the pressure between the first and second.

It will not be able to detect the second solenoid failure because you can not put in front of the second solenoid, between it and the nozzle. Nitrous between this section will all go in the car so there will be no pressure, even if the second one stuck open.

Woo hoo....we definitely making progress. :yesnod:

:cheers:
-Tuan
Old 03-29-2002, 09:38 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: Running dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit (rwj383)

the LED's would not indicate an internal mechanical or coil failure. they would only indicate that your wiring/switches to the noid were working right.
That's the part I was confusing on C5Noir's post because I didn't think you'll be able to detect internal mechanicle coil failure.

-Tuan
Old 03-29-2002, 10:30 AM
C5Noir
Safety Car

the LED's would not indicate an internal mechanical or coil failure. they would only indicate that your wiring/switches to the noid were working right.

-Tuan
Sorry about that fellas :(. I had read on other boards where this would work but now that I think about it the circuit would still be closed when the noid got stuck open. But rwj383 has a good point on the pressure transducer :) w/an LED ;)
Old 03-29-2002, 12:34 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: Running dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit.

For those that think solenoids will rarely fail, one of mine just did. :mad But I was lucky that it is the purge solenoid and NOT fuel or nitrous solenoid.

Who else beside me would be interested in a GP for nitrous solenoid?

-Tuan
Old 03-29-2002, 02:41 PM
C5Noir
Safety Car

Default Re: Running dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit. (Tuan Le)

Tuan, how old was your purge solenoid? Where is it mounted? I can't believe it failed already :eek: I'm gonna add a purge later :)
Old 03-29-2002, 05:26 PM
Tom Hall
Drifting

Default Re: Running dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit. (C5Noir)

The RM Nitrous kit that uses NX Solenoids has 2 noids on the n20 side. I just took it off my car. It has 1 large noid and 1 small noid. Never gave me any problems that I know of. I will sell it and the fuel solenoid with a fuel cut off saftey switch. If anybody wants it, let me know.
Tom
Old 03-29-2002, 08:12 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: Running dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit. (Tom Hall)

How much do you want for the 2 nitrous solenoids and the fuel solenoids?

-Tuan
Old 03-29-2002, 08:15 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: Running dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit. (C5Noir)

Tuan, how old was your purge solenoid? Where is it mounted? I can't believe it failed already :eek: I'm gonna add a purge later :)
I have it over a little 3 months and it was mounted on top of fan cover, which is away from the heat. Hopefully NX will warranty it and send me a new one.

-Tuan
Old 03-29-2002, 11:51 PM
Tom Hall
Drifting

Tuan Le
Their is just 1 fuel solenoid and 2 N20 solenoids. Make me an offer, I'm easy.
Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Running dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit

Old 03-30-2002, 12:14 AM
intel55
Le Mans Master

:eek: :eek: WOW I guess you are lucky it was just purge. I never added on that lil iceman purge that comes with the kit. Never had a noid go out, but I think before next season starts I will test my noids. :D :cheers:
Old 03-30-2002, 03:22 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: Running dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit. (Tom Hall)

Tuan Le
Their is just 1 fuel solenoid and 2 N20 solenoids. Make me an offer, I'm easy.
Tom
I emailed you.

-Tuan
Old 03-30-2002, 03:28 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: Running dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit. (intel55)

:eek: :eek: WOW I guess you are lucky it was just purge. I never added on that lil iceman purge that comes with the kit. Never had a noid go out, but I think before next season starts I will test my noids. :D :cheers:
As we all know, every single mechanicle device has an MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) to it. Too bad that none of the nitrous system company willing to test their solenoids and find out what this number is.

-Tuan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Running dual nitrous solenoids on the NX wet kit