Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous
Reload this Page >

What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position?

Notices
C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position?

Old 03-29-2002, 02:57 PM
RajunCajun2001
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position?

I supose nitrous will continue to run into the engine, and cause some significant problems since the fuel solenoid is off. My guess is the only way to stop the nitrous from flowing and causing damage is to either close the valve at the bottle or shut off the engine.

Has anyone had a solenoid fail on them? After how long? What'd you do?
Old 03-29-2002, 03:30 PM
FRPTech
CF Senior Member

Default Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (RajunCajun2001)

I've never had this happen.
But, I always run two N20 solenoids in series to prevent this and rebuild or replace the 'noids after every 20-30 runs.

FRPTech
Old 03-29-2002, 03:40 PM
RatRacer
CF Senior Member

Default Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (FRPTech)

I have seen a purge solenoid stick open at the track. It is a very rare occurance.
Old 03-29-2002, 04:00 PM
ICULUKN-C5
CF Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (RatRacer)

If your bottle pressure is good, not about 1200 or so, your solenoid should not stick...
Old 03-29-2002, 04:14 PM
MelloYellow
CF Senior Member

Default Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (ICULUKN-C5)

Fuel Solenoid? No problem...
Nitrous Solenoid? Good BYE engine... ;)

Most serious Nitrous users rebuild their solenoids once a year as insurance, or rebuild after so many bottles of use.. Not sure the # of bottles. I'd call NX or NOS and ask how often they recc solenoid rebuilds.
Old 03-29-2002, 04:37 PM
RajunCajun2001
CF Senior Member

Default Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (MelloYellow)

How would you rebuild one?

Wait a minute, I thought NX express offers a lifetime warranty on all parts and accessories. So, if they quote a rebuild schedule, shouldn't they just send me a new one or rebuilt one following that same schedule?

Old 03-30-2002, 12:21 AM
intel55
CF Senior Member

Default Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (RajunCajun2001)

Never had one fail... knock on wood :D If it does and you are ona 150 shot then BOOM. I think on a lower shot you ahve a chance, but better shut down the engine quick :eek:
Old 03-30-2002, 04:49 AM
[email protected]
Former Vendor

Speaking of solenoid failures, my purge solenoid just went south a few days ago. I'm so glad that it wasn't the fuel (stuck-close) or nitrous (stuck-open) solenoid.

I'll be running dual nitrous solenoids really soon.

-Tuan
Old 04-02-2002, 09:18 PM
Avanti
CF Senior Member

Received 713 Likes on 514 Posts
Default Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (FRPTech)

READ FRPTech's reply very carefully, reread, and then do as he does! :yesnod:
Old 04-02-2002, 10:17 PM
C5-VERT
CF Senior Member

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

How would you rebuild one?

Wait a minute, I thought NX express offers a lifetime warranty on all parts and accessories. So, if they quote a rebuild schedule, shouldn't they just send me a new one or rebuilt one following that same schedule?
Old 04-02-2002, 11:56 PM
MikeyD
CF Senior Member

Default Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (C5-VERT)

Another concern that no one has mentioned is the possibility of the relay sticking closed :eek: :eek: I have seen relays where the contacts have literally welded themselves closed from the sparks occuring through constant make and break actions of the relay. (On an air conditioner system). Most nitrous systems are wired where one side of the contacts goes through a fuse straight into the battery side and the other to the noids. If the relay was to stick closed..... :cry :cry :cry Might want to replace the relay once in a while just to be safe. :cheers:
Old 04-03-2002, 12:07 AM
[email protected]
Former Vendor

Default Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (MikeyD)

Another concern that no one has mentioned is the possibility of the relay sticking closed :eek: :eek: I have seen relays where the contacts have literally welded themselves closed from the sparks occuring through constant make and break actions of the relay. (On an air conditioner system). Most nitrous systems are wired where one side of the contacts goes through a fuse straight into the battery side and the other to the noids. If the relay was to stick closed..... :cry :cry :cry Might want to replace the relay once in a while just to be safe. :cheers:
MikeyD,

It's a very good point you have there. :cheers: So what now? In addition to the dual nitrous solenoids, we will also have to run dual relays in parallel:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: (only need it for the relay right before the solenoids).

-Tuan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: