C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forged engine blew up....shop does not care!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:25 PM
TransAm2002
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forged engine blew up....shop does not care!

So I had a motor built by Leading Edge Performance here in Las Vegas I have since put about 6K-7K miles on it. The motor has smoked from day one and it ate coolant as well. It also went through a quart of oil for every oil change. I wanted a leak down done, but they just never got to it. It was supposed to be a built 383 for a 400 shot direct port, I only planned to hit it with a 250 at the most, but I wanted it over built. Well, about a month ago I was racing a friend ON THE MOTOR, I hit 4th gear, let out, and hear what sounded like rocks go out of the exhaust. The car still ran and I drove it home. I drove it to the shop the next day because I was planning on having a tune done for the 200 shot. Well, they checked it out and said it melted a piston so I had it towed home. They said they had no room for my car and it would be 2-3 weeks before they could get to it. I decided I would pull it apart and turns out that #5 and #7 were broken.

I found some things wrong with the car as I tore it down. Evap was not hooked up and no egr gaskets on the headers. Anyway, so I finally had the short block pulled out and took it to a very good motor builder here in town. They tore it down. He said, "So far the crank, rods and most everything looks good, but the moly rings and pistons seem to have got alot of heat." I asked moly??? Well, should have had a total seal steel top ring in it and 2nd napier. As of right now looks like a Plasma moly. The real kicker is my custom nitrous pistons. They are off the shelf Diamond #11504, I called today and the shop told me. lol They are suggested for small nitrous applications. I wanted a built motor for a 400 shot and got a 150-200 piston. Here they are.

The shop keeps blaming gas and that I was spraying nitrous. I also was told another 3-4K to fix it. The car had been sprayed on a 150 shot a total of about 7 times racing and about another 7 times tuning it. The car has not been sprayed since February of this year because my clutch could not take it.

I am pissed to say the least. I have been a great customer/friend to this place and this is what I get.

Last edited by TransAm2002; 10-22-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:45 PM
0Philip@HPE
Former Vendor

Let me know how/if things get resolved and if you want, when you are ready we can try to get you moving in the right direction with a setup that will last.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:07 PM
tommie
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

another good reason to work on your car yourself....
Old 10-22-2010, 05:29 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Small claims court.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:54 PM
TransAm2002
Pro

Originally Posted by ~Joshua
Small claims court.
Thinking about it.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Zosickness
Racer

Well, hope you get it fixed soon. Good luck with everything
Old 10-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Hate to hear this stuff man. I got a similar thing going on but mine did not have catastrophic failure. Even standard rings were found. GL and keep us posted.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:26 PM
jkz06
Pro

Originally Posted by ~Joshua
Small claims court.
I've been in the same position and the problem is by the time you get done with court and all the other b.s. it will cost you as much as it would to just pay for the new motor. Also getting a judge to side with you when they say you were spraying nitrous and you say you weren't is a long shot. Good luck I wish you the best but if I can give you any advice I would find a good shop to build you a new motor and move on.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Z06wanted
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well that suxs for you. Try and keep your head up and do your home work on the short block and the vendor.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I really feel for ya man.Things like this really suck and are hard to swallow.I don't know of a lot of shops that will cover any motor that has been raced,especially with NOS.Don't get me wrong.Some stand up shops would cover you if it's obvious they screwed up.Most shops only warranty stock motors and if you bring in one that has detonated they probably wouldn't cover you.That motor detonated bad.I think even if you had the pistons you wanted it still would have broke IMHO.
If you take them to court you will need a lot of proof they created the problem.You'll also need a certified mechanic with you to back you up.That certified mechanic would have needed to pull the motor apart.You would also need some kind of warranty paper work from the shop that built it.Lick your wounds,move on and find a reputable shop.Ask to see everything before it goes together and find out why it detonated.The only good part is it could have been worse.Just my $.02.
Good luck.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:48 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Well, if you want a pick-me-up, think of it this way: At least you didn't invest it. You can't drive stocks and they wouldn't be any fun if you did. Having invested it in the stock market, you would have surely lost more and that's one loss Obama doesn't care about since your loss is "too small".

That's we call this a hobby and not an investment. Once you gitter back together, you'll be smiling again.

Hopefully you don't hesitate to let a judge decide who's right on this one. Either way, make sure you document everything just in case.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:51 PM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 407 Likes on 305 Posts

That sucks to hear man. A lot of people think that because you forge a motor it's not gonna blow or its gonna last xxx,xxx miles. The truth of the matter is if you have detonation and/or knock it's gonna take something out. Theres a good chance it was the bad gas which caused the detonation.

Now the fact that the shop charged you for "A" parts and charged you for "B" parts is ROBBERY at its finest. That just makes me sick. If you have a printout of the receipt and keep the parts as proof you should have a civil case. Best of luck with it. Usually a shop will step up and help you out with the rebuild pricing when another shop screws you over like that. Best of luck with everything and keep us posted.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:08 PM
stainless40cal
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a recipt stating what was done to the motor and what internals will used?

If you do or not either way you can own their *** in court, they did not provide the parts that the said they did. No matter how much nitrous you sprayed, no matter how many times you raced, the parts you were told that were going into the motor are not there. Take pictures of everything and take your mechanic with you, its PATHETIC that shops are doing this DO NOT LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT
Old 10-22-2010, 08:24 PM
94-vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you partyboyz06 from Youtube?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:21 PM
sycamaro67
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 94-vette
Are you partyboyz06 from Youtube?
Yes he is partyboyz06. And everything he said in his paragraph is true.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:35 PM
94-vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sycamaro67
Yes he is partyboyz06. And everything he said in his paragraph is true.
Thought so! And had a pretty damn quick ride too!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:29 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Well, if you want a pick-me-up, think of it this way: At least you didn't invest it. You can't drive stocks and they wouldn't be any fun if you did. Having invested it in the stock market, you would have surely lost more and that's one loss Obama doesn't care about since your loss is "too small".

That's we call this a hobby and not an investment. Once you gitter back together, you'll be smiling again.

Hopefully you don't hesitate to let a judge decide who's right on this one. Either way, make sure you document everything just in case.
Bret, you man are also just to the point man. Man hate to hear again stuff like this from a shop are a vendor on here. I hate to see a shop tell someone yes you buy are do this and you will have this out of it. Then after 7,k to 10,k dollars later it dont do half of what you were told. Are this kind of stuff happenss to you.

Get notified of new replies

To Forged engine blew up....shop does not care!

Old 10-23-2010, 12:55 AM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

1) Race motors don't generally have warranties, especially not after 6,000 - 7,000 miles.

2) It doesn't sound like the motor was well built to begin with (consuming oil), unless that's still par for the course with a stroker.

3) I'd seriously consider adding a can of Torco when you fill up as added insurance, especially given the crappy 91 or 92 octane fuel you get in NV.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:59 AM
TransAm2002
Pro

Originally Posted by mdaniel
1) Race motors don't generally have warranties, especially not after 6,000 - 7,000 miles.

2) It doesn't sound like the motor was well built to begin with (consuming oil), unless that's still par for the course with a stroker.

3) I'd seriously consider adding a can of Torco when you fill up as added insurance, especially given the crappy 91 or 92 octane fuel you get in NV.
1. I agree....but I did not wait 6-7K miles I wanted the thing looked at from the beginning.

2.Your right....was not built right.

3. Either that or a few gallons of 100.

Last edited by TransAm2002; 10-23-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:30 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mdaniel

I would side with the shop if the motor were built with the parts as promised.

With the broken ringlands, I'll have to blame that on the tune. Either back it down on the timing or bump the octane.

Quick Reply: Forged engine blew up....shop does not care!