C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on STS turbo kit?

Old 04-24-2011, 01:56 PM
jmoody66
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know of a good shop that has done a single rear mount setup and ran 9.xx with ONLY 650 rwhp. His is proven and not that expensive. I will go with his setup eventually. Ask RMSMAN
Old 04-24-2011, 10:44 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoody66
Hey Robert....I wish I couldve. That unit wouldve been way out in left field..I wouldve had to downgrade. It was just a mess from the get go and the only people that enjoyed it was those that I bought from or those I paid to work on it. My heads still spinning. Bret bought my unit so hopefully it will work out for someone else. Now I have to sell my flip drive, fuel system and whatever else supporting crap I had to pay big for. I'm going back to the turbo route and will make a 9xx time before you know it.
Man I like turbo,s your stuff will sell here just put it up and hold to your price man. Post some pic,s and write up on the new set up man..... Robert
Old 04-25-2011, 02:04 PM
TheBigDog
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts

The Big Dog
Old 04-25-2011, 04:46 PM
94-vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mig1980
Hi there everyone. What are your thoughts, experiences, etc on an STS kit (base model)? What's its potential? What can you tell me about them.

Thank you
Its junk and not only that,its high priced junk!

I would go with a Hinson kit
Old 04-25-2011, 05:48 PM
jmoody66
Drifting

Always lean towards the opinions of those that have actually owned the product...otherwise you will get opinions based on other opinions based on other opinions of those that haven't even seen the product in person much less experienced it.
I personally owned the STS setup AND the A&A Ysi kit, capable of 1000 rwhp, and I will tell you this.....if you want reliabilty and enjoy the occasional burst of illegal power....the STS setup will not fail you.
The following users liked this post:
JRLedFoot (06-18-2016)
Old 04-26-2011, 03:35 PM
2000BC
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Always lean towards the opinions of those that have actually owned the product...otherwise you will get opinions based on other opinions based on other opinions of those that haven't even seen the product in person much less experienced it.
I personally owned the STS setup AND the A&A Ysi kit, capable of 1000 rwhp, and I will tell you this.....if you want reliabilty and enjoy the occasional burst of illegal power....the STS setup will not fail you.
Originally Posted by TheBigDog

The Big Dog
Originally Posted by 94-vette
Its junk and not only that,its high priced junk!

I would go with a Hinson kit
Is this what you were referring to?

Hey wait, I have an uninformed biased slanted opinion too that everyone should just take verbatim because I said so!!! Novi, Hinson, Procharger, TTi, Vortech, PTK, Maggie, KB, and even NITROUS are all JUNK! Because.......I said so.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:21 PM
jmoody66
Drifting

Default Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Originally Posted by 2000BC

Hey wait, I have an uninformed biased slanted opinion too that everyone should just take verbatim because I said so!!! Novi, Hinson, Procharger, TTi, Vortech, PTK, Maggie, KB, and even NITROUS are all JUNK! Because.......I said so.
Love it!
There are way too many Internet jockeys these days. They read something and think it's Gods word yet they, most of the time, might......just might have a K&N filter at best on their car and it was probably put there by the previous owner! And they loveeeeee to give out advice! Lol
The following users liked this post:
JRLedFoot (06-18-2016)
Old 04-29-2011, 11:20 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Love it!
There are way too many Internet jockeys these days. They read something and think it's Gods word yet they, most of the time, might......just might have a K&N filter at best on their car and it was probably put there by the previous owner! And they loveeeeee to give out advice! Lol
Old 04-30-2011, 01:41 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the STS kit and it was the most reliable fun car I ever had. I had it at 7 lbs of boost on a stock 02 z06 and then went forged 402 and turned the boost up to 14lbs and then rode in a 1000 hp car and thought I just had to switchover. I did switchover to an 840 rwhp beastly Ysi setup....BIG MISTAKE. Problem after problem after problem, upgrade this, new catchcan this, new flipdrive this, alignment issue this.... Nothing but craploads of money wasted. Oh sure the horsepower delivery is great....but get ready cuz you can't use what your tires can't hold grip to, oh and if you get traction get ready for all the driveline costs you might encounter...halfshafts, input shaft, clutch...blah blah blah. I drove my STS more in 1 month than I drove my supercharged setup in 1 year! If you want reliabilty, traction, abilty to adjust boost on the fly, no freakin belt problems and just plain NO headaches....I suggest STS. I regret EVER going the SC route. Good luck
Thanks for being honest, there are very few people who would admit to making a change for the worse.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:45 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2000BC

The man has some good insight!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:41 AM
MR.Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When getting facts for say science or a criminal trial, peoples statements and observations vary widely.
Why would it be any different when asking for peoples opinion on a tt kit for a Corvette?
Especially on the internet where everyone is an expert on everything.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:25 PM
TwinTurboZ51
Instructor

I love my STS twin turbo setup. The car really pulls like a rocket.
I just dropped out my turbos to send them in for some upgrades.
It took me 25 minutes to remove both turbos.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:27 PM
2000BC
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MR.Z06
When getting facts for say science or a criminal trial, peoples statements and observations vary widely.
Why would it be any different when asking for peoples opinion on a tt kit for a Corvette?
Especially on the internet where everyone is an expert on everything.
...and like a criminal trial first hand testimony is valid and admisable while hearsay, second hand or third party information is not. Point is that the OP in any thread asking for opinions about a kit is looking for "real" information from people who own, have owned, or at least driven in a car with the kit installed. This information is helpful to his decision making. Just saying "Junk" is useless.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:09 PM
long
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had an A@A vortech kit, sts turbo kit, and now a ttix kit. If you are looking to run a stock car with the sts kit the only suggestion I have is run two return pumps and buy the kit used. It will save you alot of headaches. I wanted more power so I sold my sts kit and opted for a ttix kit. I was lucky enough to have a friend selling his ttix kit since he bought a viper with a supercharge. If you are buying new the A@A kit it is a smoking deal and you couldn't deal with a nicer guy than Andy. I had one of the first kits when you had to move the radiator support. He was more than helpful and the car ran great. Whatever you choose you need to decide what you want to do with the car in the long run. Good Luck
Old 09-14-2015, 01:14 PM
NYOverlord
Pro

Originally Posted by TheBigDog
4 words "do not do it"...go with TTi

The Big Dog
Hi there,

Sorry to revive and old thread, but I'm hoping to get some info as well as opinions on a rear mounted turbo kit for my 2012 ZO6 with a fully forged 434 motor.

Is there an actual reason you have for not liking the STS Kit? I'm trying to decide on a kit and I like that the weight is mostly in the rear and it's a clean install. If there as galore reasons you don't like the STS Kit, would you mind please stating them, so I can decide based on facts?

-Thanks
Old 09-14-2015, 05:30 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Old 09-14-2015, 10:12 PM
NYOverlord
Pro

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
...hilarious

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on STS turbo kit?

Old 09-15-2015, 09:17 AM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by NYOverlord
...hilarious
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-ttix-etc.html
Old 09-15-2015, 03:23 PM
NYOverlord
Pro

That was freaking awesome! I learned so much in mere seconds reading through that old thread! Thanks a ton man!
I'm now almost scared to get a front mount. I'm almost ALWAYS on regular street tires my ZO7 package C6Z came with. I know after dropping in an aluminum LME built 434 and only about 9.7:1 compression, the car will be soft on the bottom end, but how soft can it really be? I'm sure it will not be any worse than a stock C6Z before the STS rear mounted turbos spool up around 3,600 RPMs. True, I wish that kit had turbos that would spoil up closer to 3,000 RPMs, but everyone who has the STS loves them and Indont mind not spinning my tires when I drop the hammer on the street LOL! Maybe I can remedy this by getting smaller 62 mm turbos which might spoil up faster than the recommended twin 66 mm turbos Rick Squire of STS suggests. I don't mind making closer to 900 Rwhp instead of 1,050 Rwhp. Plus I can just have a race fuel tune and make that 1,050 or 1,100 Rwhp for the 3 or 4 roll race events I attend each year.

No? Am I wrong?
Old 09-16-2015, 12:01 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 224 Likes on 143 Posts

You know that one of the biggest "galore reasons" to avoid STS is that they're out of business, right? There is no parts source nor support either. Their website has been down for months since the property/tools/molds, etc. was all sold off during the bankruptcy sales.

Turbo-Geist: nice!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on STS turbo kit?