C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD2 Output - Accuracy of Boost/Vacuum and Fuel Pressure via OBD2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 02:00 PM
BlueTeamZ06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default OBD2 Output - Accuracy of Boost/Vacuum and Fuel Pressure via OBD2?

Howdy!

I'm looking at using a WiFi OBD2 interface to an iPhone running Devtoaster's Rev package to monitor my 02 Z06 under boost. My understanding is that the C5 ODB2 will output this info, but how accurate is it vs. dedicated analog boost/fuel pressure gauges?

It seems to me that it should be accurate, as this output is what the tuner uses to setup the car on the dyno, but I'm new to this game.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2011, 02:28 PM
JT FRC 00
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Boost??

Your not going to be able to read boost or fuel pressure with a device thru OBD2. The reason is there isn't any OEM sensors that measure them. U may be able to buy aftermarket sensors and install them to monitor them thru wifi on your phone but not sure. Even so they would have some lag I would guess. There is some products you can plug into the OBD2 to monitor lots of info but limited depending on the vehicle. I'm using one now and like it, comes in handy on a few things like logging info and clearing check engine lights.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:34 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

You may be able to log boost if your tune is 2 bar, but otherwise like said above not going to happen through the OBD2.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:39 PM
hiperf454
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2 bar will do it. I have just joined this forum and I am surprised that more people are not using HP TUNER Pro. It will give you total access to everything on your ecm for the engine and trans. I have been tuning my car for about 6 months. I have taken the beginners classes and its great and worth the money. If you make bolt on mods you should retune according to the instructor. I have a IC magnacharger and I just went from a 3.5 to a 3 bumped the boost to 10 lbs. Did a retune and I still have my milage. It will make you more power than a set of headers for about the same price or maybe even less. Plus you can turn the back o2 off. Fix the speedo with tire changes. Its a great product.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:05 PM
LinearX
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hiperf454
The 2 bar will do it. I have just joined this forum and I am surprised that more people are not using HP TUNER Pro. It will give you total access to everything on your ecm for the engine and trans. I have been tuning my car for about 6 months. I have taken the beginners classes and its great and worth the money. If you make bolt on mods you should retune according to the instructor. I have a IC magnacharger and I just went from a 3.5 to a 3 bumped the boost to 10 lbs. Did a retune and I still have my milage. It will make you more power than a set of headers for about the same price or maybe even less. Plus you can turn the back o2 off. Fix the speedo with tire changes. Its a great product.
HP Tuners Pro will still not give you access to fuel pressure if there is no sensor for it from the factory. In order to log fuel pressure with HPT, you have to use an aftermarket fuel pressure sending unit that then uses one of the analog inputs on the HPT interface to get fuel pressure. That isn't being sent via OBD2, that is coming via voltage input into the HPT interface and converted in the software to show fuel pressure.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:20 PM
hiperf454
Racer

You are right about the fuel pressure. I was just agreeing with the other guy about the 2 bar reading boost and the other gentleman's comments about the scanner. Hp tuner is a great product that can be expanded to do many things.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:18 AM
BlueTeamZ06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all your suggestions, getting HP Tuner+Wideband is definitely in the cards, right now I'm concentrating in getting the Procharger installed and tuned. I haven't used HP tuner before and wasn't too crazy about the idea of learning how on a fresh S/C build on my own motor so will have the guy who installs the blower do the initial dyno/street tune. He's a Procharger dealer and a meticulous tuner so will definitely give it a good, safe setup out of the box.

The car goes into the garage all winter so I will have alot of time for other projects like gauges, wideband, etc. If the motor asplodes before the car gets put away then my Winter project will clearly be a forged 347 ;-)

In the meantime- what params do the stock OBD2 and sensors output accurately enough to get an idea of what's going on in a boosted motor?

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:33 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Don't waste your money on the Rev app and WiFi hardware for OBDII read out....it is worthless. The delay in display is horrible. Although the data may be accurate(atleast to the ECU)...by the time you see it, everything has changed. Boost and rpms are the worst. I had this setup on my Ecoboost F150 and took it all off and sent the PLX wifi hardware back. I lost my *** on all that stuff..... I just installed a DEFI boost gauge and it's much better.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:52 AM
hiperf454
Racer

I was an installer for procharger and they are awesome! My 91 had one making 10lbs of boost. Your tuner will be able to tune the car where it runs good and is safe with the stock ECM the boost gauge is cool but not a have to have. It's nice to have. You can make some big power with a procharger set up. I have an 03 Z with a magnacharger. They have their trade offs. Your right on by having them tune it. Then if you want to play with the tuner later you can look at what they did vs stock and will help you learn. Good move and enjoy the charger. You won't have to change the hood with that setup so you will be stealthy.

Get notified of new replies

To OBD2 Output - Accuracy of Boost/Vacuum and Fuel Pressure via OBD2?

Quick Reply: OBD2 Output - Accuracy of Boost/Vacuum and Fuel Pressure via OBD2?