C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Supercharger System is the best for stock C5 Z06
ECS Paxton Novi Kit
37.67%
A&A Vortech Kit
62.33%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Pro's and Con's of the A&A and ECS Supercharger Kits

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:25 PM
RaW Z06
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pro's and Con's of the A&A and ECS Supercharger Kits

Ok Guys, I am seriously contemplating a Supercharger kit for my 2002 Z06. I have narrowed it down to purchasing the A&A or ECS system. I have read quite a few posts and have used the search function to answer alot of my questions but really wanted to hear the Pro's and con's of each system from those of you who own them or are familiar with the systems. I know the ECS kit comes with a Paxton Novi and the A&A system comes with a Vortech. Which one is the most reliable and efficient? What is the advantage of one over the other? Which supercharger system has the better intercooler? Which system is the easiest to install with the least amount of structural damage to the car (in case I ever want to go back to stock). Which has the best tech support?

I am not looking for massive horsepower. I will not be spending a bunch of aditional money on cams, headers, and other performance items. I will not be upgrading the system or my car in the future. What I am looking for is the most reliable supercharger system for my stock C5 Z06 with Bola Quad stingers. BTW I am in California if that makes any difference in regards to getting the car tuned. Thanks to all who reply.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:41 PM
corvette8189
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

All things considered, performance, price, reliability, customer service, etc, you can't get any better than A&A.

This thread is gonna get good
Old 09-03-2011, 12:53 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ECS

Old 09-03-2011, 12:54 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

In on 1. I dont believe I have ever seen this discused on here before?
Old 09-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

I did an A&A sytem over this last winter, couldn't be happier. So look, both systems are really good in all the areas you are asking quesions about, you can't go wrong. Both companies will back up there product and have produced very good efficient systems, again you can't go wrong.

Get some installed prices that meet your goals, make sure the shop can provide ya a killer tune and put down the money, thats it.

Darion

The following users liked this post:
erickls3 (03-09-2018)
Old 09-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette8189
All things considered, performance, price, reliability, customer service, etc, you can't get any better than A&A.

Sure you can, it's called ECS

Main reason I did not go with A&A is that there are to many for sale all the time, people are always changing pullies and head units witch is big expense and bother! ECS is plain and simple with a restrictor plate moddification you will have all the boost you want! People only Buy A&A kits because they are cheaper, but as you want more boost and swap out your pullies belts and head units, you will be spending a lot more money in the long run.

ECS is simply THE BADDEST KIT OUT THERE!!! And here come the A&A guys to try and tell me that I'm crazy. This is going to be an interesting Thread!!!

Last edited by Blitzkrieg; 09-03-2011 at 02:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Iffy_Z06 (03-22-2016)
Old 09-03-2011, 03:13 PM
thekid96
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Objective, except for the part where Andy told you he wouldn't sell you a kit...
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg

Main reason I did not go with A&A is that there are to many for sale all the time, people are always changing pullies and head units witch is big expense and bother! ECS is plain and simple with a restrictor plate moddification you will have all the boost you want! People only Buy A&A kits because they are cheaper, but as you want more boost and swap out your pullies belts and head units, you will be spending a lot more money in the long run.

ECS is simply THE BADDEST KIT OUT THERE!!! And here come the A&A guys to try and tell me that I'm crazy. This is going to be an interesting Thread!!!
Old 09-03-2011, 03:34 PM
petercln
Burning Brakes

If having a CARB number is important to you then its only the Vortech unit.
Both A&A and ECS are great kits. Andy and Steve at A&A have given me great help and prices. And I have gotten some of the ECS drag extras e.g. axle retention device, and they were easy to deal with also.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:40 PM
RaW Z06
Pro

Default Carb #

Originally Posted by petercln
If having a CARB number is important to you then its only the Vortech unit.
Both A&A and ECS are great kits. Andy and Steve at A&A have given me great help and prices. And I have gotten some of the ECS drag extras e.g. axle retention device, and they were easy to deal with also.

I live in California. I would need to have a CARB# to pass smog.

Are you sure the ECS units do not come with a CARB#??????
Old 09-03-2011, 03:59 PM
petercln
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RaW Z06
I live in California. I would need to have a CARB# to pass smog.

Are you sure the ECS units do not come with a CARB#??????
The last time I checked was about three years ago.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:36 PM
RaW Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by petercln
The last time I checked was about three years ago.

Does anyone know for sure if the new ECS kit comes with a CARB# and is Legal to operate in California?
Old 09-03-2011, 04:55 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know for sure if the new ECS kit comes with a CARB# and is Legal to operate in California?
Call Chris or Doug and ask them directly... When your blowing $6K+ on a blower, you can ask all the questions you want.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:08 PM
95vettski
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Which one is the most reliable and efficient? Both

What is the advantage of one over the other? A&A cheaper/need to upgrade head unit for more power
ECS has the most belt wrap/blower can support 900+rwhp!

Which supercharger system has the better intercooler? Both very good

Which system is the easiest to install with the least amount of structural damage to the car (in case I ever want to go back to stock).
The same

Which has the best tech support? Both

I am not looking for massive horsepower. I will not be spending a bunch of aditional money on cams, headers, and other performance items. I will not be upgrading the system or my car in the future. What I am looking for is the most reliable supercharger system for my stock C5 Z06 with Bola Quad stingers. BTW I am in California if that makes any difference in regards to getting the car tuned. Thanks to all who reply.
For you being in California I would suggest going with A&A...plenty of qualified dealers to install and tune the car.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:49 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette8189

No con,s at all man jump in and have some fun are stay home on the porch.... No better group of guys that you will deal with man... I also have there best kit on my car.. Robert
Old 09-03-2011, 05:59 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well said. Mine hasn't given me a hint of trouble in 9 months of daily driving. I'd do it again, just the way it was done the first time with ECS. No question.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:39 PM
DRIVER456
Melting Slicks

Location: NY- 2013 Corvette Challenge Champion-2013 Index Combo Champion 2015 CC/MM Champion
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I love my ECS SC
Old 09-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I agree with "thekid96" in that your review is completely subjective and that Andy at A&A publicly denied selling you a kit because you jacked around with him so much, so ECS is the only option you had left. Since then, you have done everything in your power to bash A&A and promote ECS. Your statements should hold no merit when a customer is trying to find honest and objective information about supercharger kits.

Originally Posted by J Z06
Well said. Mine hasn't given me a hint of trouble in 9 months of daily driving. I'd do it again, just the way it was done the first time with ECS. No question.
His statement has to be the least well-said statement in this thread. See above.

Originally Posted by 95vettski
For you being in California I would suggest going with A&A...plenty of qualified dealers to install and tune the car.
This^ and what he replied to in red should be considered the most well-said and accurate statement.

That's my take on it because I see these thread all the time. My statements hold no bias because I don't own either, but have seen both. The OP CLEARLY stated that he didn't need or want to make gobs of power and didn't want to spend money on upgrading many other parts. He lives in California. It just makes the most logical sense for him to contact A&A. If things were different and he lived in the NE or East Coast or whatever, that would change. I don't know 95vetteski at all, but he just gained some respect in that he is able to advise someone something that fits their goals the best even though he owns and supports the ECS Novi kit.

*Steps down from soapbox*

Get notified of new replies

To Pro's and Con's of the A&A and ECS Supercharger Kits

Old 09-03-2011, 08:19 PM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I went through the same decision process that you are going through now. Both companies are well respected and make excellent products. According to my research, both Vortech and Procharger have superchargers that are CARB legal. That does not mean that all of their units are though. Ultimately, I chose A&A for two reasons:
1. They are local here in SoCal, so they should be more knowledgeable about getting a supercharged car through California smog inspections, should you have any issues.
2. If there is a problem with you unit, you can take the car directly to them to get the issue resolved if necessary.

My car was not tuned to produce maximum horsepower, but was tuned to pass California emissions and produce good horsepower, so I don't have to re-tune it ever two years so I can pass the emissions test. It made 498 hp at 6000 rpm, which is enough to keep me happy, at least for now.

Phil
Old 09-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If OP is not looking for gobs of HP, then A&A would be a smart move for him as he is in Ca.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:02 PM
RaW Z06
Pro

If OP is not looking for gobs of HP, then A&A would be a smart move for him as he is in Ca.
I guess I need to clear this up.

Obviously, I'm looking for horsepower or I wouldn't be interested in a supercharger. What I'm not looking for is so much horsepower that the rest of my stock drive train can't handle it. Hope this makes sense

What amount of HP increase do most people consider to be reliable on the stock C5 Z06 platform??

Quick Reply: Pro's and Con's of the A&A and ECS Supercharger Kits