C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM/DSS Polyurethane Torque tube Couplers? Whats your opinion?

Old 10-30-2011, 11:36 PM
joshtownsend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if it aint broken, don't fix it.... it cost just as much now as it will IF it fails... 25psi.. no issues from my 6sp.. I'm not a "fix it because it MIGHT break" guy.. ofcoasre i got 1/3 in my car and make twice the power..but whos counting..
Old 10-31-2011, 12:06 AM
FixedRoof
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Well, the car IS broke again that's the issue. Didn't go through all the details in this thread, just trying to get opinions on couplers.

I have been through 2 torque tubes in the past 7.5 years I've had my car. Both due to failed OEM couplers and relatively low power. They were both pre-01 10mm units however. I wanted a 12mm unit when the first one went, but couldn't get one at the time. One shredded the front coupler and jacked up the tube. Could not be reused. The 2nd one didn't cause the tube to fail, but jacked the input shaft. So it was repaired ("thought" so, runout was out of spec unfortunately), so now I'm pulling that tube back out now due to a nasty vibration during first 100 miles since reinstall. It's the input shaft. Now it's getting new stuff, I'm tired of screwing with it. I just ordered the DSS poly couplers for my new 12mm tube. I'm contemplating ordering the 3" shaft as well, but prolly won't go that far.

This is the first 12mm tube assy that I have had (absolutely perfect low mileage unit) and I'm paranoid about screwing this one up from another coupler issue.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Chaplain
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Driveshaft

PM sent

Are you using a carbon fiber shaft?

Originally Posted by FixedRoof
Well, the car IS broke again that's the issue. Didn't go through all the details in this thread, just trying to get opinions on couplers.

I have been through 2 torque tubes in the past 7.5 years I've had my car. Both due to failed OEM couplers and relatively low power. They were both pre-01 10mm units however. I wanted a 12mm unit when the first one went, but couldn't get one at the time. One shredded the front coupler and jacked up the tube. Could not be reused. The 2nd one didn't cause the tube to fail, but jacked the input shaft. So it was repaired ("thought" so, runout was out of spec unfortunately), so now I'm pulling that tube back out now due to a nasty vibration during first 100 miles since reinstall. It's the input shaft. Now it's getting new stuff, I'm tired of screwing with it. I just ordered the DSS poly couplers for my new 12mm tube. I'm contemplating ordering the 3" shaft as well, but prolly won't go that far.

This is the first 12mm tube assy that I have had (absolutely perfect low mileage unit) and I'm paranoid about screwing this one up from another coupler issue.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:57 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by FixedRoof
My only real concern was with noise/vibration.

Looks like I will be ordering a set of these couplers this week

Thanks
You will not have no problems with the RPM stuff here at all. My two stock couplers totally was shot from the rollers at only 600 rwhp. I mean shot. Now with almost 1,k rwhp on the rollers they still look like new.. Robert

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RPM/DSS Polyurethane Torque tube Couplers? Whats your opinion?