C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Forced Induction Crankcase Evac Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 01:11 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

i think is because i did not explain how my cans work compared to the rest. yes is smart idea to keep a functional pcv system on just about any vehicle.

my cans are already built to equalize crank pressure as necessary with the pressure release top. this does not change function of the can, of the 3 versions i sell, race.draft.pcv all retain their function, can be fitted to handle up to 1500hp, are available in two sizes, and with either the breather top (pressure release to atmosphere) or the recirculating top (vent out the fitting/ hose to somewhere else of your choice, for example stock airbox)

the system is not 'open' on my car it operates as a normal pcv system, but if/when more crankcase flow is created than the pcv system can absorb, it leaves the top (either one) in order to keep pressure from building.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:09 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

David,
Thank you for taking the time to help eliminate so much of the misinformation, and help place the emphasis on the reality of the situation. I've discussed this with countless people and have always disagreed with the methods of so many snake oil salesmen. So many things in so many of the designs are not only not helpful, but cause actual issues. It's nice to see some of the smoke and mirrors removed with some hard facts acquired through legitimate, proper testing.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:31 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by JDS99
You've missed my point, and still haven't answered my inquiry. My over a week reference is under boost for nearly 200 hours on the same oil, with only a breather, and burning coal bed methane with H2S in it straight out of the earth. Only then the viscosity hit limits and acid levels overtook base. In these cars, burning pump gas, race fuel, etc. that are actually refined fuels; run time between oil changes is significantly less even if done at 3000mi. So, my inquiry remains before you start telling people that with a breather system their oil is going to be "bad" after a single outing, I would like to see some data to support this, how and where it was sampled, and what exactly is being used as a pass/fail criteria for the oil sampling.

"If you do not care for these explanations, please do as you are, but please do not disrupt this thread and confuse those that do wish to learn."

I do care for technical explanations. You made a claim to an extremely short oil life (one outing) if a breather system is utilized, i'm calling BS, and I would like to know what testing you have done to validate. What I find disruptive in threads like these are when vendors step in with explanations and an end goal to sell a product. If you have data, please post it. Not from a google search.
I too would like the answers to this as well as some relative proof via legitimate testing that any vendors product actually does and solves the issue as claimed. David seems to have figured out a nice way of proving it. I saw a video not long ago where the guy that published it was trying to prove that the Moroso venturi vacuum tube in the exhaust actually works. He connected a vacuum gauge to the hose of the tube and it indeed generated a vacuum. The problem with the test is that the test was run measuring static pressure rather than allowing the vacuum connection to remain while monitoring the crankcase pressure/vacuum levels.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:03 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

nothing wrong with the venturi tube. it will replace the metered vacuum of the pcv system and the fumes dont end up in the intake. all systems claiming a hp increase by creating a vacuum in the crankcase at wot are claiming a perpetum mobile situation, imho.(im just waiting for somebody to hook up a turbocharger to the crankcase.) if not concerned with emissions, just vent to atmosphere at wot. how much time does a street engine spend at wot anyway?

Last edited by romandian; 06-08-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:16 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by romandian
nothing wrong with the venturi tube. it will replace the metered vacuum of the pcv system and the fumes dont end up in the intake. all systems claiming a hp increase by creating a vacuum in the crankcase at wot are claiming a perpetum mobile situation, imho.(im just waiting for somebody to hook up a turbocharger to the crankcase.) if not concerned with emissions, just vent to atmosphere at wot. how much time does a street engine spend at wot anyway?
same for the exhaust scavenging as the airbox scavenging in my opinion. it gets everyone perked up based on the idea that it works, few go through the trouble of finding out if it actually does work for them (or not).
Old 06-08-2017, 03:05 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

well, it used to be more or less standart in racing not so long ago, right?
Old 06-08-2017, 03:26 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by romandian
well, it used to be more or less standart in racing not so long ago, right?
it is a very popular mod no doubt. i am saying the effectiveness should be measured not assumed.

there are a matrix of variables that will affect the performance, it does not always work 'like the internet says' across every engine build and exhaust combo. it can actually not work at all and cause way more harm than good given certain circumstances.

because race cars have it does not mean it is the best thing for a random corvette daily driver.

and not to give the wrong idea. on a car where the exhaust is actually measured to provide suction, i don't mind it used in conjunction with one of my draft cans, but i would NOT personally allow it to be solely in charge of my crankcase pressure.
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder
Old 08-08-2017, 03:42 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by COSPEED
Real World testing by one of the Largest and most respected lubrication lab's in the World. No smoke and mirrors, that would be David in his video only setting up 1/2 of 1/2 of the system he is comparing with. This took over 2 years and the lab results are indisputable with GDI engines: ........................................ ........................................ ........................................ ...................................

Tracy, It seems that you feel I'm specifically knocking your product, although I'm not sure why. I can tell you that once the big build that I'm working on is completed and I get back to my personal 1800hp TT build, I'm willing to discuss and perform some back to back testing with some products on my engine, using the street and my dyno. We can measure and compare things like crankcase pressures as well as the yield of the cans. Maybe even send away not only the oil in for independent analysis, but the contents of the cans as well.
I watched your video in the GTO and while I saw the vacuum continuously going to 0, I think that more members than just me would like to see a measurement of the vacuum yield in your crankcase by the use of what you're calling the secondary vacuum source. If you feel that I'm losing sight of something important here, let me know, but it's definitely something that I'm curious about since it's being applied with your design.

Bret
Old 09-05-2017, 10:16 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Bret I'll tell you this buddy the big RX Catch can that the guy sells from Fl. I sent him pic & all he then told me yes the first one he had to rework it. Told me he was going to replace it & send me the new one & refund my money also for the trouble.

He never did do nothing. This Tracy here got into the pic said he would help & get it done also never did get nothing done also.

I will tell you this David at MMS Catch can really does work and also one of the best guys as a vendor in here. David thanks again for the help on the catch can set up for the c7.. Robert

Last edited by robert miller; 09-05-2017 at 10:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
David@MMS (09-06-2017)

Quick Reply: The Forced Induction Crankcase Evac Thread