C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 11:45 AM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Any Updates
Was that to me?

Brake pedal is in. Shifter is in.

I havent had much time to complete anything else. Need to put wiring harness back in first, then figure out the pinouts from RPM.

I also need to replace the torque tube couplers. I keep braking the T50 torx bits. I got one bolt out yesterday. 11 more to go.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:16 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Yes. Was wondering how it was going. You might want to spray some PB Blaster on the TT Bolts and let them soak for a few hours or even overnight. If that fails try using some heat.

Looks like you're making positive progress on your conversion.

Originally Posted by TX Z06 02
Was that to me?

Brake pedal is in. Shifter is in.

I havent had much time to complete anything else. Need to put wiring harness back in first, then figure out the pinouts from RPM.

I also need to replace the torque tube couplers. I keep braking the T50 torx bits. I got one bolt out yesterday. 11 more to go.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:56 PM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Yes. Was wondering how it was going. You might want to spray some PB Blaster on the TT Bolts and let them soak for a few hours or even overnight. If that fails try using some heat.

Looks like you're making positive progress on your conversion.
Slowly working on it. So far I have done:

auto harness re-installed
flex plate installed
quick time blowproof bellhousing bolted up, not completely installed (dreading the top bolts)
Transmission mounted to rear diff
stall converter (filled with fluid) and slid onto transmission
Torque tube rebuilt

Remaining tasks:
RPM jumper harness pinned out
RPM neutral safety switch wired up
install converter drive plate and torque down
mount torque tube to tranny, torque down
torque down converter to drive plate
mount tranny cooler under passenger headlight
Install N2MB 2 step wired to brake switch
Old 04-21-2017, 11:32 AM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Remaining tasks:
fill transmission while its out
fill rear diff while its out
weld bracket for shift cable
finish bolting up bellhousing
RPM neutral safety switch jumper harness wired up
wire up transbrake that I will likely NOT use at the strip
route tranny cooling lines in the transmission tunnel
Bigger fuel injectors
replace intake manifold gasket
Reinstall headers
Test fit exhaust - may not fit because cutouts are located where the deep transmission pan now sits
startup tune
test start
fill transmission
test drive

Last edited by TX Z06 02; 04-21-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:49 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Sounds like you're progressing well.

You might want to check the fit of your headers around the bellhousing. I had to grind down areas on the bellhousing so that the headers would clear.

The top bolts on the bellhousing are a PIA. I used a bunch of extensions and flex joints along with a short swivel socket to get mine in.

Slowly working on it. So far I have done:

auto harness re-installed
flex plate installed
quick time blowproof bellhousing bolted up, not completely installed (dreading the top bolts)
Transmission mounted to rear diff
stall converter (filled with fluid) and slid onto transmission
Torque tube rebuilt

Remaining tasks:
RPM neutral safety switch wired up
install converter drive plate and torque down
mount torque tube to tranny, torque down
torque down converter to drive plate
Old 04-21-2017, 03:32 PM
TX Z06 02
Pro

You might want to check the fit of your headers around the bellhousing. I had to grind down areas on the bellhousing so that the headers would clear.
10-4 I will check that before i start on the top bolts. I would be PISSED if i found out I had to drop it out to grind on it after the drivetrain and everything were in.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:09 PM
TX Z06 02
Pro

A few more questions:

I was only able to get about 4 qts in the pan. Does that sound right?

I only had about 3/4 qt in the torque converter.

I am gonna use an external temperature gauge that I already have on my dash. I know the DIC will show it as well, but I already have this MTX dual gauge for pressure/temp. I have the pressure reading fuel pressure, but the temp isnt doing anything. Figured I would use it. Where do I need to install the sensor in the transmission? Is this the right location?

Name:  4L60E temp sensor location.JPG
Views: 538
Size:  66.4 KB
Old 04-24-2017, 02:13 PM
Nitrous Express & Snow Performance
Supporting Vendor

Nitrous Express & Snow Performance's Avatar

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

How to fill the Trans
http://www.rpmtransmission.mobi/file...lprocedure.pdf
Old 04-24-2017, 04:45 PM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
My transmission is sitting on the ground. When its hooked up and running, that's the procedure I will use. I want to make sure I am packing as much fluid in it NOW so there are no issues at startup.

From research, looks like the entire system is about 8-10 quarts fill. I only managed to fit about 4 quarts in the pan with the tranny sitting on the floor, with about another 3/4 qt in the torque converter. There's still a lot of fluid to go in it when its running. I just wanted to make sure that's ok.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:23 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Yeh, you're doing it correctly. It's a pain in the *** to fill, but it is, what it is... as they say.

Glad your project is moving along nicely.

Last edited by C5 Pete; 04-24-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:59 AM
TX Z06 02
Pro

I have asked for clarification from RPM but no response yet. Where do the 2 blue wires from the neutral safety switch go? RPM said the reverse light switch? where is that?

The 2 purple wires go to the clutch pedal switch.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:39 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

The reverse light switch is in the transmission. There should be a wire running up from the tunnel harness that you should change to.

I have asked for clarification from RPM but no response yet. Where do the 2 blue wires from the neutral safety switch go? RPM said the reverse light switch? where is that?

The 2 purple wires go to the clutch pedal switch.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:47 PM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Slowly progressing. I have only been able to work half days the last 2 days. Something always keeps coming up.

Yesterday I was able to bolt up the headers and check clearance on the bellhousing (no issues YAY!). Then I took the headers back off and bolted up the bell housing completely. The top bolt was a &*$%&$*. Since I was replacing the intake gaskets anyway, I removed the intake and tackled it from the top. The one on the top at the drivers side was the next PITA. Finally got it started with a pair of long needle nose pliers, turning it about 1/8 turn at a time. Took forever, but finally had enough space that I could get a socket on it and torque it down. All the others were fairly easy.

I also welded in the bracket for the shift cable. I thought I had it in the right place based on the pictures in this thread (See todays progress)

Today I finished fabbing up the mounts for the tranny cooler. I then routed the tranny cooling lines up the tunnel and through the engine bay, out front to the cooler. I need some 180 degree AN fittings, so I wasnt able to connect them just yet.

Name:  IMG_2736.JPG
Views: 389
Size:  1.35 MB

Between welding up the bracket yesterday and working on the car today, I found some notes where someone suggested hooking the shift cable up first and measuring the distance before welding the bracket in the tunnel. I didnt do that. OOPs! So now I slid the transmission/diff/TT in under the car and hooked up the cable. At first it wouldnt go into Park. Adjust the shifter all the way to the other end. Then it wouldnt go into first. So i adjusted it back near the middle and it works in all gears. Crisis averted regarding placement of the bracket, seems like everything is fine.

I then finished wiring up the tranny cooler fan and then moved on to the pin outs. I had to remove 4 pins that were already in place on the Blue plug and 2 on the Red plug. I hope thats right. Im nervous about that.

Tomorrows tasks:
1. wiring up the NSS and clean up everything in the transmission tunnel
2. intake back on
3. new injectors installed
4. and then maybe stabbing the TT into the bellhousing
5. At that point I may be ready for a test fire (unless I change injectors, then I need my startup tune first)

I will post pics later.

A few questions:
How do i add a wire into the plug on the transmission for the transbrake? According to RPM's instructions:

Transbrake wire is added to the -W- wire position, 12
volts at less than 1.5 amps is needed to activate the
transbrake in third gear.
What do I need (pin, tap, etc) to add a wire to the W position?

Last edited by TX Z06 02; 05-01-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:45 AM
TX Z06 02
Pro

The reverse light switch is in the transmission. There should be a wire running up from the tunnel harness that you should change to.
Do I tap into one of these plugs? These look like they would have plugged into the NSS on the transmission.

Name:  IMG_2737.JPG
Views: 339
Size:  960.0 KB
Old 05-01-2017, 03:06 PM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Need your help, gents. I just got off the phone with RPM where I was asking clarification on the 2 blue wires.

Now I am told that they sold me that harness by mistake, that it was for a stand-alone controller. He said since I am using the stock PCM to control the transmission, that I need to use those plugs from the post above and hook to the neutral safety switch. Additionally, there are 4 more wires to pinout for the clutch switch, brakes, reverse light.

The problem with that is now I have the wrong NSS. I bought the one he told me to purchase with the single plug:
Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  11.6 KB

Now I need to source the one with 2 plugs.

Name:  s-l500 (1).jpg
Views: 301
Size:  31.9 KB

Does all of that sound right for using the stock PCM to control the transmission?

Additionally, i asked him about the pin required for the transbrake, and he was going to send me a wire with the pin on it. And refund me for the harness that I purchased. So Kudos to RPM for those things.

Last edited by TX Z06 02; 05-02-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:56 AM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Where did you guys go??? Did anyone else using a stock harness and PCM to control transmission have to do this? I've read this thread like 5 times and don't recall seeing this information mentioned.

I got these notes from RPM about the additional 4 wires to connect. Can someone translate this for me, like "Wire from here to here".

Name:  18261091_10156242842108079_1070179326_o.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  79.9 KB
Old 05-10-2017, 09:38 AM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Ok, So i think I have figured this out.

Several of these 4 new wires are for the shift lock, which a lot of you have said you werent messing with. But I am going to do it right and hook it all up.

I also bought the female connector pins for C146 from Mouser. If anyone needs part numbers, let me know. Its not hard to figure out, just search the connector part number and look for related parts. The connector pins and seals will be listed.

From Connector 146:
1. the orange/black wire goes to C3 on the stop lamp switch. My manual car doesnt have a C3, I only have 2 connectors at the stop lamp switch. I am in the process of trying to locate one from a wrecked car.
Name:  IMG_0027.JPG
Views: 340
Size:  1.72 MB

From the manual:
Name:  IMG_0030.JPG
Views: 384
Size:  437.6 KB

2. The purple and yellow wires obviously tie into the clutch switch under the steering wheel.

3. The black/white wire goes to ground. I will ground it to the frame (G104) right by the battery.

STOP LAMP SWITCH C3:

1. I already answered the orange/white wire from C146

2. The second wire (green/white) from the pigtail then goes to the shift lock solenoid at the shifter. For a 2002, its supposed to be green/white.

A/T SHIFT LOCK SOLENOID:

I'm not sure what year my shifter came from, but this should be the blue wire on this shifter (kinda hard to see the 4 wires (blue, green, brown and black) in the middle of the pic that are heat shrinked to 3 wires (blue, black and orange).
Name:  IMG_2760.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  1.33 MB

1. Already got the blue (or green/white for a 2002 shifter) from C3 stop lamp switch.

2. black goes to ground. I will ground at the transmission tunnel somewhere.

3. Orange - battery positive voltage. I will find constant hot to connect this to.

4. Brown should be for the dimmer. If I cannot locate a place to tie into the dimming circuit, I will just ground this with the black wire. Looks like easy locations to tie into are the yellow on the HVAC or the Brown/white on the traction control. NOTE: this should be a gray wire on a 2002.

I'm kinda disappointed in RPM, i called and left messages, sent several emails and I cannot get any kind of a response. I guess they made their sale on the jumper harness and they figure that's all they owe me since I didn't buy any hard parts from them.

Last edited by TX Z06 02; 05-10-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto Swap Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 05:03 PM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Well I guess I did something right. Here is the first startup.

Seems to go thru the gears fine.

Now I got quite a few more things to do. First and foremost, I'm out of Amsoil atf and she isn't full yet. That was 10 qts so far.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:36 AM
corvette8189
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, So i think I have figured this out.

I'm kinda disappointed in RPM, i called and left messages, sent several emails and I cannot get any kind of a response. I guess they made their sale on the jumper harness and they figure that's all they owe me since I didn't buy any hard parts from them.
You and me both, Except I spent 5k+ I just did another auto swap using there jumper harness and trying to get wiring information from them was near impossible. More wiring than just there jumper harness to do.
Thanks to ajg1915 for the help and wiring diagrams
Old 05-22-2017, 10:47 AM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Update: I had to remove the cutouts from my exhaust as they no longer fit.
So i took the midpipes to the muffler shop and paid them $30 to patch up the holes.

I spent Sunday and I got it driveable, left the transmission tunnel cover off and the front bumper off. Took a quick drive around the neighborhood and it seemed to be doing great. So i put it back up on the jack stands and finished putting everything together.

I also wired in my N2MB WOT box. that's another issue for another thread.

A quick wash and dry and I drove it into town about 25 miles. The first 25 miles was great. It shifted well, locked up on the interstate and set the cruise at 75. Smooth, even seems quieter even tho more RPM's on the highway.

Got off the interstate in town and picked up my kiddo from gymnastics. Turn around to come home. Got on the interstate and the TC wont lock up. So i drove with it unlocked at 70mph, tranny temps started climbing, although it never got above 192 Deg F. Cooler works great, still dont know if the fan ever came on.

TLDR: Issues: reverse takes exactly 7 count to engage. Park to reverse or neutral to reverse, move gear selector, count to 7. I cant figure out why.

Torque converter stopped locking up. I havent figured that out yet.

Gonna check the fluid level again and see if I had an air pocket somewhere.

Last edited by TX Z06 02; 06-12-2017 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Auto Swap Thread