C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 10:25 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Glad you got it together. Been AWOL for a while with work.

I believe the lock-up is controlled electronically. Could be an electrical or solenoid issue or even a tune parameter. Hard to figure out intermittent issues. I would check for any codes also.

Originally Posted by TX Z06 02
Update: I had to remove the cutouts from my exhaust as they no longer fit.
So i took the midpipes to the muffler shop and paid them $30 to patch up the holes.

I spent Sunday and I got it driveable, left the transmission tunnel cover off and the front bumper off. Took a quick drive around the neighborhood and it seemed to be doing great. So i put it back up on the jack stands and finished putting everything together.

I also wired in my N2MB WOT box. that's another issue for another thread.

A quick wash and dry and I drove it into town about 25 miles. The first 25 miles was great. It shifted well, locked up on the interstate and set the cruise at 75. Smooth, even seems quieter even tho more RPM's on the highway.

Got off the interstate in town and picked up my kiddo from gymnastics. Turn around to come home. Got on the interstate and the TC wont lock up. So i drove with it unlocked at 70mph, tranny temps started climbing, although it never got above 192 Deg F. Cooler works great, still dont know if the fan ever came on.

TLDR: Issues: reverse takes exactly 7 count to engage. Park to reverse or neutral to reverse, move gear selector, count to 7. I cant figure out why.

Torque converter stopped locking up. I havent figured that out yet.

Gonna check the fluid level again and see if I had an air pocket somewhere.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:03 PM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

UPDATE:

The torque converter issue was simply low fluid level. I put the car back on jack stands again and checked it and was able to add another 1/2 quart or so.

However, the reverse issue required that I pull the transmission again. I am getting pretty good at dropping the drivetrain. I had the car on jack stands in 15 minutes, had the drivetrain on the ground 1 hour later, and the transmission separated, drained, and loaded in my truck in another 30 minutes.

Local transmission guy figured out the issue. There were several with this transmission that I bought second hand but was supposedly just refreshed, the main issues being that one of the ball checks was in the wrong place and that the input drum had no seal. The steels on the reverse clutches were worn (but it had new frictions???). All of that was contributing to fluid leaking by and it took time to build enough rpessure for reverse to actually lock in.

Put everything back together this weekend and mounted it up. Filled it with fluid, checked it after going through the gears several times on jack stands, allowing time for fluid to work through everything. I also verified that the transbrake works (on jack stands, too scared to actually use it on pavement).

I then drove it around the neighborhood and then down the highway for a few miles. Everything appears to be running well.

Right now it's back on jack stands cause I want to check the fluid level one more time. These things are so finnicky about fluid level.

Coming up: finish street tune and then get a track tune done here locally.

Then drive the **** out of it and see how long this 4L60e holds up.

Quick throttle jab vids:

Last edited by TX Z06 02; 06-12-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:23 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Glad to hear you got the issues sorted out!

Have fun with it!
Old 06-14-2017, 08:24 PM
tooslowchavez
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is everyone doing for a shifter cable? im totally lost on mine. I bought a c5 shifter cable with the bracket that goes on the torque tube/ bell housing area. I have what i think is a c6 bracket that goes in the tunnel under the arm rest and the shifter just won't work? I wanna know what people are using to hold the cable under the shifter in the tunnel.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:08 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Did you read this entire thread? Your specific question has been addressed.

Good luck with your project.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:31 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

I used the one that mounts on the trans as a stencil for the hole, then bent and cut it out of a piece of scrap metal I had laying around. I was worried about getting the placement right, but once you hold the cable up in the tunnel with the shifter in neutral its pretty obvious. I tacked it up in place and made sure it worked then dropped the drivetrain back out and welded it up.

He's right it has been addressed in here. If you haven't read through all of this 3 or 4 times you need to.

Last edited by CamminC5; 07-06-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:12 PM
jfernandez98
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Guys
Just finished up my auto conversion using PCS 2800 module.
Its working great but now I have a check engine light and 3 Current codes. Any way to tell which are causing the check engine light? I'm not concerned about the codes only the light.
P0102 for MAF. There is no MAF as car has Speed Density Tune.It was previously tuned out and did not cause the check engine light previously.
P0704 Clutch Switch not sure if this would cause the check engine light. Any way to turn it off?
P0803 Skip Shift not sure if it would cause a check engine light. Any way to turn it off or fix issue?

There was also one History code
P0809 Reverse inhibit solenoid its not causing the check engine light but any way to fix this code?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:16 PM
Chameleon T/A
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jfernandez98
Hi Guys
Just finished up my auto conversion using PCS 2800 module.
Its working great but now I have a check engine light and 3 Current codes. Any way to tell which are causing the check engine light? I'm not concerned about the codes only the light.
P0102 for MAF. There is no MAF as car has Speed Density Tune.It was previously tuned out and did not cause the check engine light previously.
P0704 Clutch Switch not sure if this would cause the check engine light. Any way to turn it off?
P0803 Skip Shift not sure if it would cause a check engine light. Any way to turn it off or fix issue?

There was also one History code
P0809 Reverse inhibit solenoid its not causing the check engine light but any way to fix this code?

Any help would be much appreciated.
For the P0102, that has to set the error for the car to go in speed density. We always set it to report the error (to enable SD) but no MIL light. Chances are it's still set this way and you are just seeing the light as a result of another code, not the P0102.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Chameleon T/A
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

But to answer your question, the tuner can go in and look at which of those current codes is tripping the light and adjust it as needed. Or if you have HP Tuners etc you can read the file and look.

Quick Reply: Auto Swap Thread