C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower than expected horsepower with supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:57 PM
jason999
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edram454
Your car with a properly installed a@a kit, with long tube headers and cats would make 450 on a mustang dyno since your car is automatic. I have an automatic 2000 which was dynoed on a mustang dyno and it dynoed 460 without my cam and my exhaust modification. I had hi flow cats and during the dyno session it was laying down some and all of a sudden it shot the guts out of the cats through the exhaust pipes!! I have the debris to prove it. gutted cats, new cam, rev kit, dyno tune 525 rwhp on mustang dyno.. went to dynojet dyno...570rwhp. automatics dont dyno well because 3rd gear never really locks up. sticks dyno better because they place it in third and go! dont worry, you will run right with a stick and if you race, they always screw the shifts up anyway. You win!
Thanks. I read a post before about your numbers. I couldnt remember where it was. My car has the 2.7 rear end so i think he left it in 2nd? That willthe make itit read lower?? He said clogged cats would go out rear sometimes.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2012, 10:40 AM
jason999
Instructor

I ordered XSPower Lts with high flow cats today.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:23 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

If you can get by with it pull the cats and dont put any back the F/I dont like them any way....Robert
Old 04-13-2012, 12:28 PM
jason999
Instructor

Originally Posted by robert miller
If you can get by with it pull the cats and dont put any back the F/I dont like them any way....Robert
Thanks Robert, I went with cats because I was afraid of smell and I do like to stay fairly legal :-), even though we arent monitored here. How much power wwill the cats cost me? I heard the XSPowers high flow cats flow pretty well.

It would have been nice to save a few bucks, though.....

Hopefully I have a clogged cat and I will see a big increase!!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:50 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by keck739
Thanks Robert, I went with cats because I was afraid of smell and I do like to stay fairly legal :-), even though we arent monitored here. How much power wwill the cats cost me? I heard the XSPowers high flow cats flow pretty well.

It would have been nice to save a few bucks, though.....

Hopefully I have a clogged cat and I will see a big increase!!!!
fairly legal...You will lose very little really with a set of good high flow cats. I had them on my car pulled them out I cant tell any diff other than the car is a little louder now when I put my right foot down a little.Robert
Old 04-13-2012, 01:36 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My car has the 2.7 rear end so i think he left it in 2nd? That willthe make itit read lower??
^
^
There's the problem, get an new tuner he should know only 3rd gear is 1:1 in an A4!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:23 PM
jason999
Instructor

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
My car has the 2.7 rear end so i think he left it in 2nd? That willthe make itit read lower??
^
^
There's the problem, get an new tuner he should know only 3rd gear is 1:1 in an A4!
He knew that, because he said 3rd was 1:1. He said with my rear gear he would use 2nd, if im not mistaken. Whole dyno deal is new to me. Wwhat kinda of differance would that make on the numbers? I assumed it had to do with the resistance of the mustang dyno, but what do i know....
Old 04-13-2012, 05:35 PM
jason999
Instructor

Actually, i finally took the time to google it. Seems a 2ndgood run was the safest way to go. I think its because of the high speed that the auto would produce with the 2.73 gear.

I wish someone knew a conversion formula....
Originally Posted by corvettebob1
^
^
Old 04-13-2012, 07:18 PM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
X2.......

But if you do have to run cats for god sake spend the money and get good ones. That if you have to run them is one of the most important parts in your system. See that metal ice cream cone. Thats a not so good cat when you put 16 psi to her. Blew her down the exhaust and it lodged just outside the tail pipe.
Good cats won't cut you don't but 7 to 12 HP from what I have heard but with as much restriction as you have now, I'd get the tune checked before nailing it after you get the problem solved.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:49 PM
jason999
Instructor

New tune coming for sure. I'll need it with the headers.....
Old 04-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

We cut the stock cats out of a friends TTiX car and I believe it picked up about 75 whp (I wasn't there for the dyno).

It did completely mess up the tune though and leaned it out to the 14's at WOT....yikes. Car was much better after retuned
Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes your numbers are low.

Yes your cats could be clogged.

Only way to find out is to run some tests or remove them and run the car again with a new tune. The tuner should know if it's the cats. The car won't take any fuel up top either. The dyno will nose over badly and early.

You can have your tuner send your tune, logs and dyno sheets in JPG format if he wants a second opinion. It could be other things, but I would need to see the tune to know. PM me if you want my email addy.

Quick Reply: Lower than expected horsepower with supercharger