C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stages? 1 - 6

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:10 PM
timmmmay
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stages? 1 - 6

What does Stages refer to? I assume it means some level of intensity, but I don't get it.

Is it Stage 1 = intakes, stage 2 = intakes & exhaust - or does it all refer to the same item & varying levels?

Thanks - sorry if it sounds like a dumb question.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

It's more marketing really they all sound dumb but gotta make money somehow. Like when someone says I have a stage 4 clutch. It just makes them sound like an idiot. I wish the vendors would stop calling them "stages"
Old 07-23-2012, 01:20 PM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Stage numbers mean absolutely nothing. Tuners/shops pull they out of their keisters and assign them to whatever arbitrary package of parts they are trying to hawk. It's beyond lame.
And why stop at "Stage 6"? I'm trying to imagine if I offered my customers a staged service. Okay Mr. Hospital or Mr. Bank .. Would you like a Level 3 or level 27 analysis of that data? The stupidity beggars description.

Last edited by mdaniel; 07-23-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:44 PM
0Arun@CCP
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by timmmmay
What does Stages refer to? I assume it means some level of intensity, but I don't get it.

Is it Stage 1 = intakes, stage 2 = intakes & exhaust - or does it all refer to the same item & varying levels?

Thanks - sorry if it sounds like a dumb question.
Hey buddy, for us we did this because I felt one cam doesn't fit all applications.

so in easiest terms, stage 1 is closest to stock-idle and driveabilty, and stage 6 would be furthest from stock, idle and driveability. The only thing they have in common is there both gonna make more power than stock-lol!!!!

Old 07-23-2012, 02:02 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I see ETMC (IIRC) posts their blower videos with stages listed and I think it just sounds stupid. Unless you look into it you can't tell the differences in the stages. I think its more marketing than anything else.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:14 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by nullpointer
I see ETMC (IIRC) posts their blower videos with stages listed and I think it just sounds stupid. Unless you look into it you can't tell the differences in the stages. I think its more marketing than anything else.
I normally would agree...but I think it really comes down to what company is boasting the "stage #". If it is someone reliable such as ECS or A&A (as Arun has pointed out)...they do need to classify their equipment and levels somehow to differentiate it from that of stock. I don't care if it is stage numbers, shop numbers or manufacturer numbers. You have to know that if you order a Stage 4 clutch that it is 4 levels beyond a stock one. But at the same time...don't think if you order a "stage 4" clutch off some joe-smo from ebay that your going to actually get the same quality/level/stage part.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

These are well known medical terms for your degree of mod sickness. Stage 1 is entry level and Stage 6 is likely terminal with no chance of recovery.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:19 PM
timmmmay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Arun@CCP
Hey buddy, for us we did this because I felt one cam doesn't fit all applications.

so in easiest terms, stage 1 is closest to stock-idle and driveabilty, and stage 6 would be furthest from stock, idle and driveability. The only thing they have in common is there both gonna make more power than stock-lol!!!!

Awesome!!

I'd seen stages referred to elsewhere and couldn't associate what that level meant to the parts.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:28 PM
02*C5
Race Director

Received 106 Likes on 39 Posts

Simpler than that when asking for parts you either want as close to stock as possible or you want ballz out, anything in between your wasting time and money and gathering intestinal fortitude to deal with the HP that's coming
Old 07-25-2012, 06:53 PM
timmmmay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Arun@CCP

So. Let's say it was a stage 6 cam. Ridiculous. How hard is it to drive?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:34 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by timmmmay
So. Let's say it was a stage 6 cam. Ridiculous. How hard is it to drive?
Idles at 1200RPM or higher because it can't idle any lower, can floss teeth in between cylinder firing, scares women and children and makes NHRA members smile.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:56 PM
timmmmay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT56
Idles at 1200RPM or higher because it can't idle any lower, can floss teeth in between cylinder firing, scares women and children and makes NHRA members smile.
Ahhhh...

Okay, I think I start to get it.

Thanks - that was quite the visual.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Kaploww
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A stage "x" is an arbitrary value assigned to a set of modifications a tuner has layed out.

For example.

A "Stage 1" C5 Twin Turbo from LPE is a mostly stock engine, with a set of turbos, intercoolers, fueling system, and tune.

A "Stage 2" is all of the above, with a built engine, ported heads, intake mani, a little more boost, and a few other go fast bits.

A "Stage 3" is all of the above with a built 427.

However, the next tuners "Stage 1" kit has absolutely nothing to do with any other tuners "Stage 1" kit.

It's all arbitrary.

However, if you are talking with someone who is familiar with the tuner, and the products they release, it can save you a little time while explaining modifications.

If someone asks you what you have done to the car, and you respond with... "I have a (insert favorite tuner here) Stage 2 kit". Bam, all the info they needed.

However, if they're not familiar with the tuner, and they ask the same question, and you have no idea what's included in your "Stage X" package. You're gonna look like a tool.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:48 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT56

Get notified of new replies

To Stages? 1 - 6

Quick Reply: Stages? 1 - 6