C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clocking a procharger and bearing came apart. Help!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:49 PM
fotoboy
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Clocking a procharger and bearing came apart. Help!

Well everything else looks fine lol but the lower bearing is stuck in the one half and all the ball bearing fell out. THe plastic seems to be fine though. Can I just pop the half out of the case cover and put it back together or am I stuck sending it in for repair?

THis is another blower I have that its suppose to look likea;
Old 03-03-2013, 10:55 PM
02402ramair
Drifting

Work the bearing race out of the case, pack the plastic with grease to hold the bearings and then slide the race over it. There should be a spring type shim under the race in the case.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:06 AM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

It'd throw the blower in the oven to heat it and remove the bearing
Old 03-04-2013, 02:14 AM
fotoboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by regorih
It'd throw the blower in the oven to heat it and remove the bearing

Hmm baking recipe please. Lol

I have a heat gun but it should come out pretty easy.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:19 AM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Heat that pucker up and it will come out like butter from the case. I would replace that bearing and not try to fix it. The bearing is cheap vs the internal Procharger parts
Old 03-04-2013, 02:25 AM
fotoboy
Drifting

The other half of the the bearing is on the shaft and may need a puller. Not sure. It doesn't look easy to get off either way.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:14 PM
fotoboy
Drifting

Procharger is requiring me to send it in for service. I placed the cover on a space heater and cant seem to get the bearing out. IF I do the oven trick what temp should I set it at?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by fotoboy
Procharger is requiring me to send it in for service. I placed the cover on a space heater and cant seem to get the bearing out. IF I do the oven trick what temp should I set it at?
Your play'n with fire. No pom intended if you damage the unit.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:39 PM
fotoboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by helga203
Your play'n with fire. No pom intended if you damage the unit.
Its not that complex when you pull the cover off just need to do it right if its possible. I dont mind investing in the right tools to do it either.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:49 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Its not that complex when you pull the cover off just need to do it right if its possible. I dont mind investing in the right tools to do it either.
I was going to do my friends and they talked him out of me working on it and he sent it in to pro charger. Couple of gran later he got it back, but he's happy.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 PM
fotoboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by helga203
I was going to do my friends and they talked him out of me working on it and he sent it in to pro charger. Couple of gran later he got it back, but he's happy.
2 grand later? wth did they do to it? If i was gonna do that Id be upgrading to a f series.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’d be worried about the remainder of the bearings.

If replacing buy Nachi bearings, good bang for the buck, especially high RPM versions (ABEC 7).

Check everything then decide how to proceed forward. Luckily every bearing in that blower is easily sourced. But I'd replace all bearings.

Last edited by Skunkworks; 03-04-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-04-2013, 09:44 PM
fotoboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
I’d be worried about the remainder of the bearings.

If replacing buy Nachi bearings, good bang for the buck, especially high RPM versions (ABEC 7).

Check everything then decide how to proceed forward. Luckily every bearing in that blower is easily sourced. But I'd replace all bearings.

Any ideas how I get the rest of that bear off?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:10 AM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any ideas how I get the rest of that bear off?
First things first… To do it correctly you have to remove impeller. Mark off nut to impeller with permanent marker (torque reference). Then hit it with an impact (not crazy torque), best done with gearbox assembled and input shaft restrained.

Generally speaking, your impeller side bearing is going to be worse than gear side (what you have in picture). As mentioned you should replace all bearings.

You have to be able to get high speed shaft out of gearbox, any attempt to replace bearing without doing this much will just damage bearing you can’t see, along with seal (more so than it is).

The oven stuff mentioned, don’t buy into it. With Vortech maybe, but not with ProCharger not so much. The high speed shaft seal will likely not handle it.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:34 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
First things first… To do it correctly you have to remove impeller. Mark off nut to impeller with permanent marker (torque reference). Then hit it with an impact (not crazy torque), best done with gearbox assembled and input shaft restrained.

Generally speaking, your impeller side bearing is going to be worse than gear side (what you have in picture). As mentioned you should replace all bearings.

You have to be able to get high speed shaft out of gearbox, any attempt to replace bearing without doing this much will just damage bearing you can’t see, along with seal (more so than it is).

The oven stuff mentioned, don’t buy into it. With Vortech maybe, but not with ProCharger not so much. The high speed shaft seal will likely not handle it.

^^^^ Listen to this guy. ^^^^^
He's often smarter than I can comprehend, but when I do end up understanding, I discover he's got a wicked mind. Like a Jedi!!

Get notified of new replies

To Clocking a procharger and bearing came apart. Help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clocking a procharger and bearing came apart. Help!