C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Write-Up: Monster 2 Catch Can for Boosted Centri! (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:24 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Default Write-Up: Monster 2 Catch Can for Boosted Centri! (Pics)

First and foremost I am going to cover the rubber line with this Black Nylon Sleeving Mesh from "Grainger", made specifically for tubes like this: This is the size and part number for our -8 AN (1/2" inner Dia.)

https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...peaheadSearch=

Secondly here is my write-up on the Braille battery install and yes we have "R" Right side positive terminal -
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ll-w-pics.html

Battery Den and Battery Tray Trimmed -

Holes drilled towards front for the tubing to go to the Manifold Neck and Supercharger -

One Hole toward the fire wall going to the Drivers side Valve Cover from Center of Catch Can -

Supercharger -8 AN Bulkhead fitting hogged out a little extra for best volume and the -8 AN 45* Barbed Hose fitting to go to the Catch Can

Valve Cover -8 AN fitting welded on and the 90* Barbed hose fitting to go to the back side of Catch Can

Catch Can Location and Height

Tools I used 2 1/2" hole saw to cut of corner of battery tray and Uni-bit to make front Double/Stacked Hole and Rear/Firewall hole in the battery den wall

I hope this helps and as I said I will make a full write-up with these and more pictures, including the tubes being ran and routed correctly!

I will be able to retain my coil covers and everything else with little intrusion to the engine bay!

I am hoping, if all works out fine, to take it to work and take a couple of hours off and go over to finish the Dyno tuning on it - that should be sufficient enough to pull it and check it -

I did dot run a tube down for now - that might come later - I can "EASILY" unhook the C/C and lift it out and do it on the bench as opposed to getting under the Vette to drain it out.

Here are a few more pics of the finished up install:

To the Drivers Valve Cover:

The other two hooked up, one to the Supercharger w/check-valve the other to the intake manifold w/check-valve

Supercharger Connection:

One going to Supercharger and the other Branching off to the manifold:

At the Manifold:

With all the Covers Back On:

Thanks,Matt
Old 04-18-2013, 02:01 AM
SuperSteve04Z
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks awesome!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Great thread for future members to use as reference when installing one!

Why to be a leaded Matt!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:57 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

nice work Matt!!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Matt, as always great write up and pic,s buddy. Robert
Old 04-18-2013, 11:06 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----

Thanks fella's!

Thanks,Matt
Old 04-19-2013, 01:14 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Awesome Matt!!! U made me go buy a Braille battery. Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Sure beats buying an LPE battery relocation kit @ 400 bucks.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:47 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
Awesome Matt!!! U made me go buy a Braille battery. Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Sure beats buying an LPE battery relocation kit @ 400 bucks.
Very cool!

It should all work out, make sure you use a battery tender to keep it all charged up as it sits - yoou know how our Vette like to drain battery's

Thanks,Matt
Old 10-31-2015, 09:07 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

TTT

Thanks,Matt
Old 11-02-2015, 09:47 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
First and foremost I am going to cover the rubber line with this Black Nylon Sleeving Mesh from "Grainger", made specifically for tubes like this: This is the size and part number for our -8 AN (1/2" inner Dia.)

https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...peaheadSearch=

Secondly here is my write-up on the Braille battery install and yes we have "R" Right side positive terminal -
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ll-w-pics.html

Battery Den and Battery Tray Trimmed -

Holes drilled towards front for the tubing to go to the Manifold Neck and Supercharger -

One Hole toward the fire wall going to the Drivers side Valve Cover from Center of Catch Can -

Supercharger -8 AN Bulkhead fitting hogged out a little extra for best volume and the -8 AN 45* Barbed Hose fitting to go to the Catch Can

Valve Cover -8 AN fitting welded on and the 90* Barbed hose fitting to go to the back side of Catch Can

Catch Can Location and Height

Tools I used 2 1/2" hole saw to cut of corner of battery tray and Uni-bit to make front Double/Stacked Hole and Rear/Firewall hole in the battery den wall

I hope this helps and as I said I will make a full write-up with these and more pictures, including the tubes being ran and routed correctly!

I will be able to retain my coil covers and everything else with little intrusion to the engine bay!

I am hoping, if all works out fine, to take it to work and take a couple of hours off and go over to finish the Dyno tuning on it - that should be sufficient enough to pull it and check it -

I did dot run a tube down for now - that might come later - I can "EASILY" unhook the C/C and lift it out and do it on the bench as opposed to getting under the Vette to drain it out.

Here are a few more pics of the finished up install:

To the Drivers Valve Cover:

The other two hooked up, one to the Supercharger w/check-valve the other to the intake manifold w/check-valve

Supercharger Connection:

One going to Supercharger and the other Branching off to the manifold:

At the Manifold:

With all the Covers Back On:

Thanks,Matt
Nice install Matt! It appears you have the correct checkvalves inside the shrink tube as long as both flow away from the can. One of the best installs I have seen. Nice work.

I would swap out the breather from the billet aluminum cleanside 1LE style separator though here:

http://www.coloradospeed.com/oil-pum...184ncqi4ohpbh1

That will better address the cleanside than the breather. You will plumb that into the end of your cone air filter for filtered fresh air and it prevents vapors or any momentary pressure when the checkvalves are switching.

For all that like this setup, the Coloradospeed "Monster" is similar in size and routing, but uses a billet clamp for the mount so easier to install like this example. The Elite E2-X Ultra is also a smooth side unit and can mount similar to these.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:59 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Nice write up, very detailed!!
Old 11-02-2015, 05:17 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

And he understands it all as well. That is rare today. Good job Matt!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:36 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
Nice install Matt! It appears you have the correct checkvalves inside the shrink tube as long as both flow away from the can. One of the best installs I have seen. Nice work.

I would swap out the breather from the billet aluminum cleanside 1LE style separator though here:

http://www.coloradospeed.com/oil-pum...184ncqi4ohpbh1

That will better address the cleanside than the breather. You will plumb that into the end of your cone air filter for filtered fresh air and it prevents vapors or any momentary pressure when the checkvalves are switching.

For all that like this setup, the Coloradospeed "Monster" is similar in size and routing, but uses a billet clamp for the mount so easier to install like this example. The Elite E2-X Ultra is also a smooth side unit and can mount similar to these.
Okay, my question then is this on the 1le breather:

Is it only getting the clean air through the (what looks to be) 3/8" nipple that will go into the air filter?

Is that correct? or can one be had to match the rest of the system with a 1/2" Inlet?

Could you break down how the 1le cap breather works and the size nipple it has etc.? Really for me, any extra information on the cap before I make a decision will be extremely helpful and go a long way.

It just doesn't seem to be enough size for a clean source, but I could be wrong. So if you can please break it down for me on the cap.

I had a hard time with the underside of the cap picture on the website.

Oh, and does the cap drain any excess oil back into the valve cover too? Is it designed like that?

Thanks,Matt
Old 11-03-2015, 11:42 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Okay, my question then is this on the 1le breather:

Is it only getting the clean air through the (what looks to be) 3/8" nipple that will go into the air filter?

Is that correct? or can one be had to match the rest of the system with a 1/2" Inlet?

Could you break down how the 1le cap breather works and the size nipple it has etc.? Really for me, any extra information on the cap before I make a decision will be extremely helpful and go a long way.

It just doesn't seem to be enough size for a clean source, but I could be wrong. So if you can please break it down for me on the cap.

I had a hard time with the underside of the cap picture on the website.

Oh, and does the cap drain any excess oil back into the valve cover too? Is it designed like that?

Thanks,Matt

It can be custom ordered with any size up to -8 AN if desired for extra$, but your choice of 3/8" or 1/2" when you order is no extra.

The cleanside unit does drain back into the valve cover as it is only trapping oil when flow in is at the greatest. It only needs to trap it during the brief intervals the main separator's valves are switching to ensure proper evacuation at all times.

It can be ordered with the standard GM fit or with a "push in" style.

Hope that helps!
Old 11-04-2015, 09:03 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

It can be custom ordered with any size up to -8 AN if desired for extra$, but your choice of 3/8" or 1/2" when you order is no extra.

The cleanside unit does drain back into the valve cover as it is only trapping oil when flow in is at the greatest. It only needs to trap it during the brief intervals the main separator's valves are switching to ensure proper evacuation at all times.

It can be ordered with the standard GM fit or with a "push in" style.

Hope that helps!
Yes - that makes perfect sense and I am glad that we can order it with either 1/2" fitting or -8AN fitting too

I want to call today -

Who can I ask for and talk to about this? You?

Thanks,Matt
Old 11-05-2015, 06:36 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Yes - that makes perfect sense and I am glad that we can order it with either 1/2" fitting or -8AN fitting too

I want to call today -

Who can I ask for and talk to about this? You?

Thanks,Matt
Young in sales, or just order online and in the notes put with -8 AN or -8 Hose barb. Either is available.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:19 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Young in sales, or just order online and in the notes put with -8 AN or -8 Hose barb. Either is available.
I talked with them there and they did the -8AN for an additional $10

I did not want to reduce anything from what the entire system is running (-8AN or 1/2") right now

Looking forward to seeing how it all works out - I do like and understand the concept, plus I do like the way it will drain any oil it may catch back into the valve cover - or as we call it "Mist" that the FRC's catch at times

Thanks,Matt

Get notified of new replies

To Write-Up: Monster 2 Catch Can for Boosted Centri! (Pics)

Old 11-12-2015, 09:58 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

My error on the -8 AN fitting. Let us know how it works for you!
Old 03-14-2016, 04:02 PM
stryderss
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

how did you mount the fitting in the silicone tubing for the supercharger? is there anything on the backside to keep it from falling out?
Old 03-14-2016, 07:40 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stryderss
how did you mount the fitting in the silicone tubing for the supercharger? is there anything on the backside to keep it from falling out?
Its a Bulkhead fitting so there is a "Large" nut on the inside, this is the nut you will tighten - I also put a little locktite to keep it secure - You do not need to needlessly crank down hard on it and overtighten it, just enough to make a good seal, which is what will happen with the 3 layer silicone coupler -

The outside Nut is part pf the Bulkhead itself -

Thanks,Matt

Last edited by madmatt9471; 03-14-2016 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Corrected

Quick Reply: Write-Up: Monster 2 Catch Can for Boosted Centri! (Pics)