C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriot, PRC or PAC springs??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:39 PM
cdn ws6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot, PRC or PAC springs??

I have decided that it would be a wise deciscion to upgrade the valvesprings and pushrods on my stock longblock LS6. The car has the stock LS6 cam also.

I have been looking at the PRC double springs from TSP with a set of their hardened chromoly pushrods for $379.99. The price is good but Bob (aka Vettenuts) has told me that there have been a few problems with them recently. He suggested I look into PAC 1518 springs and Terry Manton 11/32" diameter pushrods.

The other springs I was looking at were the Patriot Gold Extreme double springs and either their hardened pushrods or a set of comp hardened chromoly pushrods. I've heard nothing but good things regarding the Patriots and comp chromoly pushrods so I'm kind of leaning towards going that route. For about $380 it seems like a good investment!

What length pushrods do i need? Every vendor seems to show 7.4" as stock length but after reading what Bob has sent me, he says that it is closer to 7.385".

What do you guys with experience think I should do? The comp 921's are out of my price range. What other parts will i need? I will either buy a spring compressor tool like the crane tool or borrow one from a fellow board member that has offered me the use of his. I will more than likely use the TDC method as well to ensure I don't drop a valve!

Thanks in advance!

Tyler
Old 06-05-2009, 07:03 PM
EVLZ06
Burning Brakes

Patriot Golds Brotha
Old 06-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Apipe
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The Asscociated (PATRIOT OR PRC) is good and I run them
PSI OR PAC ARE THE BEST BUT MORE $$$$
Old 06-05-2009, 08:58 PM
0Arun@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PAC
Old 06-05-2009, 11:11 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

I run the PRC's. I ran PRC and Patriots in a spring tester and they were identical at all measurements. I chose the PRC's due to the lighter valve locks. A few grams makes a bunch of difference at 6800rpm.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:57 AM
cdn ws6
Drifting

Thanks for the info guys! I believe the PAC springs are a bit out of my price range currently but would always be a consideration down the road if/when i build a forged engine for this car.

Right now, it's between the Patriot Gold Dual extremes and the PRC's. According to Patriot, the Dual gold extremes "do" come with Titanium retainers just like the PRC's so they're both pretty equal both in price, features and performance. Based on that info and the info from BlownblueZ06, they're probably the same springs! I'm looking at comp chromoly 7.4" 5/16" .080" wall pushrods as well. Will the 7.4" pushrods be fine on my stock longblock/stock cam motor?
Old 06-06-2009, 05:16 AM
0EPP
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdn ws6
Thanks for the info guys! I believe the PAC springs are a bit out of my price range currently but would always be a consideration down the road if/when i build a forged engine for this car.

Right now, it's between the Patriot Gold Dual extremes and the PRC's. According to Patriot, the Dual gold extremes "do" come with Titanium retainers just like the PRC's so they're both pretty equal both in price, features and performance. Based on that info and the info from BlownblueZ06, they're probably the same springs! I'm looking at comp chromoly 7.4" 5/16" .080" wall pushrods as well. Will the 7.4" pushrods be fine on my stock longblock/stock cam motor?
The 7.40 length is what we typically use. Bob
Old 06-06-2009, 09:07 AM
ONE BMF
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Just got Patriot Dual Gold Xtremes & Comp High tech Push rods 7.4Going in next weekend. Got them from Hinson Motorworks
Old 06-06-2009, 10:18 AM
cdn ws6
Drifting

Originally Posted by EPP
The 7.40 length is what we typically use. Bob
Originally Posted by ONE BMF
Just got Patriot Dual Gold Xtremes & Comp High tech Push rods 7.4Going in next weekend. Got them from Hinson Motorworks
Thanks guys!

Hinson probably has the best price on these parts that I've found so far so I'll order through them. My only question is in regards to the spring bases. These are the parts I have selected but I'm curious the difference between the dual extremes with the (.565" ID spring bases) and the ones I've slected below. Which springs are the proper ones for my application?

1) Comp Cams Hi-Tech Chromemoly Pushrods-Default Comp Cams Hi-Tech Chromemoly Pushrods, 7.400" (Stock length LS1,-2,-6, Gen III) Variant

2)Patriot Performance Xtreme .660" Dual Spring Kit-Default GM LS Series Patriot Xtreme Dual Valve Spring Kit Variant

Last edited by cdn ws6; 06-06-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:31 PM
ONE BMF
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cdn ws6
Thanks guys!

Hinson probably has the best price on these parts that I've found so far so I'll order through them. My only question is in regards to the spring bases. These are the parts I have selected but I'm curious the difference between the dual extremes with the (.565" ID spring bases) and the ones I've slected below. Which springs are the proper ones for my application?

1) Comp Cams Hi-Tech Chromemoly Pushrods-Default Comp Cams Hi-Tech Chromemoly Pushrods, 7.400" (Stock length LS1,-2,-6, Gen III) Variant

2)Patriot Performance Xtreme .660" Dual Spring Kit-Default GM LS Series Patriot Xtreme Dual Valve Spring Kit Variant
You got the right parts bro --the .565 ID (inside diameter of spring base is larger) for use with bronze guides Your order is the same as mine and Hinson had the best prices and was here from AL. in two days
Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 PM
jrgeorge27
Heel & Toe

Default Prc .675

Originally Posted by ONE BMF
You got the right parts bro --the .565 ID (inside diameter of spring base is larger) for use with bronze guides Your order is the same as mine and Hinson had the best prices and was here from AL. in two days
I just had my PRC dual valve springs break....just one, but at least we caught it in time. I was on a road trip when it broke...

Get notified of new replies

To Patriot, PRC or PAC springs??

Quick Reply: Patriot, PRC or PAC springs??