C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with RX Catch Can & PVC System........

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 07:35 PM
JeremiahsC5
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Issues with RX Catch Can & PVC System........

I just finished installing a forged 402 with upgraded D1 Procharger system. Engine fired up with no issues at first. After 2 start up heat cycles & 360 miles driving the car around I blew the oil pan gasket. I am running the 3 valve RX catch can with check valve oil cap breather. The engine was kept under 3000 rpms and was never under boost. It was checked out by the engine builder and tuner and after putting a breather with out a check valve on the oil cap filler he says there is no issue. Here is where I am looking for guidance. Please correct me if I am wrong. The whole RX system is based on air pulling through the oil filler cap filter through the engine to the driver side PVC outlet. It has a check valve so no air can push out, only air can be pulled in. Then it goes from there to one of the 3 inlets on the catch can. The other two inlets on the catch can go to the intake (which has a one way check valve)with a check valve. The last 2 in front of the Supercharger inlet. Please see the diagram for the way I have it installed. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...a-vortech.html
If I am free venting the engine at the filler cap is the RX catch can system working the way it was designed? This is what I am thinking of doing. Leaving the RX Catch can but moving the hose from the drivers side valve cover to the valley cover PVC. Then running a -10 line from the right and left valve covers to a Moroso breather catch can. Let me know what you think.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:01 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

add another catch can to the "clean" side of the PCV system, the side that is plugged with the one way breather. run the catch can from the valve cover or oil cap to the inlet of the blower. hope this helps, we see this a lot of the 5th gen Camaros.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

I have ran the RX Catch Can setup for years. No issues at all.. My engine bay is much cleaner...
Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremiahsC5
I just finished installing a forged 402 with upgraded D1 Procharger system. Engine fired up with no issues at first. After 2 start up heat cycles & 360 miles driving the car around I blew the oil pan gasket. I am running the 3 valve RX catch can with check valve oil cap breather. The engine was kept under 3000 rpms and was never under boost. It was checked out by the engine builder and tuner and after putting a breather with out a check valve on the oil cap filler he says there is no issue. Here is where I am looking for guidance. Please correct me if I am wrong. The whole RX system is based on air pulling through the oil filler cap filter through the engine to the driver side PVC outlet. It has a check valve so no air can push out, only air can be pulled in. Then it goes from there to one of the 3 inlets on the catch can. The other two inlets on the catch can go to the intake (which has a one way check valve)with a check valve. The last 2 in front of the Supercharger inlet. Please see the diagram for the way I have it installed. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...a-vortech.html
If I am free venting the engine at the filler cap is the RX catch can system working the way it was designed? This is what I am thinking of doing. Leaving the RX Catch can but moving the hose from the drivers side valve cover to the valley cover PVC. Then running a -10 line from the right and left valve covers to a Moroso breather catch can. Let me know what you think.
How much boost are you running and what RX can do you have? Is it the monster catch can or the one with the check valves built into the nipples that come off the can?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:53 PM
JeremiahsC5
Melting Slicks

Just the RX can for supercharger system. Not the monster can. Has not seen boost yet but will be running 14lbs,
Old 06-14-2013, 01:28 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

You can do what your saying and it will probably work but your going to find that the RX can you have just isn't enough for you when you get into the amount of boost your running. The lines are just too small. However running two cans will probably make up for that. Or you could run one monster can with -10 lines and be done with it.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the reason i always recommend Saikou michi dual can with custom 1/2" lines, with dual you maintain clean side and dirty side in separate cans......i dont have any issue with dual cans, send me a pm me your email addy, i will attach the correct routing diagram for running dual cans....as a side note, i re-ringed my motor with bigger Ring gap than factory still no blowby wit dual cans i have now.....150 bucks well worth spent.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 AM
JeremiahsC5
Melting Slicks

PM sent for dual can details. Thank you.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:12 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM sent for dual can details. Thank you.
Pm returned with PCV routing diagram pictures, hope that helps.

Sami
Old 06-15-2013, 01:18 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Just the RX can for supercharger system. Not the monster can. Has not seen boost yet but will be running 14lbs,
For F/I the Monster2 C/C is what you need - I am running mine with -8 AN lines.

You need to have the nipple removed from the drivers side Valve Cover and also need the little pinhole baffle drilled out as well and then have a -AN fitting tig welded on the valve cover for "PROPER" evacuation!

A standard C/C is not enough to vent a Boosted motor!

But dang dude I really do wonder if your Oil Pan gasket was pinched or misaligned and that is why it leaked or blew out!

If you blew a oil pan gasket and not going above 3,000 RPM while driving then it sounds like other issues, like a ring or two that did not seal and is making crank case pressure rise - you might need to do a crank case pressure test

I run the Monster2 can and 15+ psi of boost and have "NO" Issues at all, with -8AN lines.

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-15-2013, 01:25 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

On the F/I you "DO NOT" run the check valve in the breather, you need to remove it!

"IF" you call Traci @ RevXtreme he will tell you that the check valve "NEEDS" to be removed!

Thanks,matt
Old 06-15-2013, 09:29 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
On the F/I you "DO NOT" run the check valve in the breather, you need to remove it!

"IF" you call Traci @ RevXtreme he will tell you that the check valve "NEEDS" to be removed!

Thanks,matt
What he said here..
Old 06-15-2013, 09:50 PM
JeremiahsC5
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the info guys. I will see if I can use the RX filter I have and remove the check valve. I am also wondering if there is any way to use the Rx Can I already have and add a second can.

Last edited by JeremiahsC5; 06-15-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Issues with RX Catch Can & PVC System........

Quick Reply: Issues with RX Catch Can & PVC System........