C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenne Bell twin screw question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
What hood ?
Well there is a hood in the first picture, technically. Actually I'm a bit disappointed, no comment of fabrication, you seem to be one for the small details! Must be the quality of work here and attention to detail.

PC
Old 08-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Sportsman2003
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Darion
NITRO UK, sic looking underhood ya have there, Reallly nice! Just wondering what you have going on where the factory fog lights would be?

OP, your car is not a pile. Enjoy it the way it is and as long as your good with the power it makes whats not to like? Bet it a ton of fun with low end TQ, get ready to buy some new tires!

Believe it or not 4DRUSH wasn't taking a shot at your wife, basically he's saying way to crush a happy new owner guys. He has a twisted sense of humor that one.

Good luck with the ride and enjoy it,

PC

BTW, car looks great but whats with the black car in the background parked in the drive?

I usually have thicker skin. I was a little irritated last night sorry about that guys.

It is a 49 Pontiac Chiefton.

It's my buddies car that I bought the Vette from.

Here are better pics of my car if you have not seen them already.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...w-to-me-z.html
Old 08-07-2013, 11:06 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportsman2003
I usually have thicker skin. I was a little irritated last night sorry about that guys.

It is a 49 Pontiac Chiefton.

It's my buddies car that I bought the Vette from.

Here are better pics of my car if you have not seen them already.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...w-to-me-z.html
Buddy Jay didn't mean nothing at all you just have to get to know him. He is a trouble maker for sure. Again you have a very nice looking car, have fun in her.. Robert
Old 08-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

Yeah the KB is fine as is and it is a joy to drive on the street. I pushed the 2.8L to 650 rwhp but have since sold it and moving on to Autocross now.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:27 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have a very nice looking car! This thread is bringing more twin screws out of the closet, lol. Your hood looks fantastic. Ill bet there are a few guys looking at your hood and reconsidering a KB or Whipple.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:55 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
What hood ?
First pic the one above the one with no hood.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:07 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

yeah, there'd be 3 KBs in here if i hadn't been run around on a wild goose chase for 3 months. i'll agree that in a couple months, it'll feel tame & slow, and you'll start looking at the 'little' things you can do to 'just get a couple more ponies out of it' and fall into the pit of modifications... don't worry - it happens to us all. the thing about your situation is that your PD blower is perfect for the driving style you want: street cruising with the grunt to get out of your own way very quickly in any driving regime. you don't get that with the average centri setup 'average' bolded for the belt-turbo die-hards that'll argue it's the best setup for everybody because they don't do near as much under 3500rpm (where you're probably spending 90% of your driving time) as a twin screw or roots blower. the thing is, though, that like others have said - the KBs that people have tried to hop up have ended up being nightmare projects with never-ending problems stemming from the design of the unit itself. my suggestion if you want that same feel later after wanting to push the envelope a lot more would be to sell your blower for a TVS2300. it's made plenty of power on tons of cars with tons of reliability. i bet the Whipple would be fine if you had some custom rectangle-port heads made for your LS6, but that's quite a chunk of change for a one-off setup.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:38 AM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

One of the biggest draw backs on the KB setup is the intercooler in relation to the floor of the intake. Same thing with Dragon. Just can't package a big H.P. PD with that fender/hood line and relation to the cowl.

I am moving onto a UPP kit "if" I go back to forced induction. Already have a new LS3 402 and Edelbrock intake/elbow setup for it.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:38 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06PSI
One of the biggest draw backs on the KB setup is the intercooler in relation to the floor of the intake. Same thing with Dragon. Just can't package a big H.P. PD with that fender/hood line and relation to the cowl.

I am moving onto a UPP kit "if" I go back to forced induction. Already have a new LS3 402 and Edelbrock intake/elbow setup for it.
I went as far as machining a fully billet custom lower for that turd with a larger heat exchanger and it still wouldnt run for ****. If there was a custom part to make for that head unit, I made it. It was hopeless..

As far as the CONSTANT comment I hear about "power under 3500 rpm". Drive a correctly built centri setup and you wont ever feel that way again. The instant torque you get is useless. Smoking tires doesnt equal speed.

These things belong on pickup trucks and SUV's..

KB knew the design was so bad that they stopped making it or supporting it. That alone tells quite a bit. Not that KB's customer service is anything to be impressed with anyways though, its nearly impossible to get anyone to answer the phone there.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:28 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by breecher_7
I went as far as machining a fully billet custom lower for that turd with a larger heat exchanger and it still wouldnt run for ****. If there was a custom part to make for that head unit, I made it. It was hopeless..

As far as the CONSTANT comment I hear about "power under 3500 rpm". Drive a correctly built centri setup and you wont ever feel that way again. The instant torque you get is useless. Smoking tires doesnt equal speed.

KB knew the design was so bad that they stopped making it or supporting it. That alone tells quite a bit. Not that KB's customer service is anything to be impressed with anyways though, its nearly impossible to get anyone to answer the phone there.
I like the above statement about Kenne Bell. And with the customer service is all true are was back a few years ago. But will also add the dam vendor at the time that was in here selling them, would tell you a big one just to do what ever. Robert
Old 08-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Sportsman2003
Racer

Originally Posted by breecher_7

I called KB today they answered the phone as usual. I asked them if your statements were true about them not supporting the Vette 2.6 supercharger and they told me they are still producing them and have no issues supporting them all parts are in stock. They did stop carrying the air filter though only because it was not selling. It is still available direct from K&N.

The Corvette supercharger is still listed on there site.
I just thought you might like to know.

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/S...ts/BigBore.htm
Old 04-13-2015, 03:05 PM
HOONIGAN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bring back this thread, but in looking at a 2.6 KB for $3500 used, and my impression from what I read is that its absolute garbage. I want a roots style blower but I don't wanna spend $7k on a Maggie, will the KB suffice long enough for me for just full bolt ons and meth? It still a bad idea? And is a roots style blower bad idea for a Texas car? 😂
Old 04-14-2015, 11:14 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi
If your happy keeping the kb around 8lbs you should have no problems , people on here say they don't respond to mods well ie more boost .

Seems there are ways to help iat`s . Adjustments to the cooling fans on / off temps do work for the motor .

The tvs2300 is a great blower , but if you don't have the $ I`m with you on that .

Not sure what used centri superchargers go for $$ wise , but if you really want a PD blower I`m with you on that too .

End of the day the kb would make your car a fun drive , used kits , just make sure you get all the parts ,I could help you with what should be included if you do go that route

Will you be installing the blower ? Not a bad price , maybe offer lower
and go from there.

Not been to Texas but imagine its as hot as hell lol

The following users liked this post:
LedfootLarry (06-28-2016)
Old 04-14-2015, 06:21 PM
HOONIGAN
Instructor

NITRO U do you still have yours and use it? breechers comment above kinda scares me away from it. It's my daily and really don't need to put a unreliable blower on my vette. How ever I do really want it. I want a whipple too but can't find a whipple kit
Old 04-14-2015, 10:24 PM
Sportsman2003
Racer

Originally Posted by HOONIGAN
NITRO U do you still have yours and use it? breechers comment above kinda scares me away from it. It's my daily and really don't need to put a unreliable blower on my vette. How ever I do really want it. I want a whipple too but can't find a whipple kit
I have 30k trouble free miles on mine! 556 wheel hp and runs perfectly.
I say go for it.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:20 PM
2003Evo
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to bring back this thread, but in looking at a 2.6 KB for $3500 used, and my impression from what I read is that its absolute garbage. I want a roots style blower but I don't wanna spend $7k on a Maggie, will the KB suffice long enough for me for just full bolt ons and meth? It still a bad idea? And is a roots style blower bad idea for a Texas car? 😂
Save another $1500 then get a centri supercharger...much better for making more hp down the road. By the time you put the roots style you will be spending just as much, dont forget you will need a new rised hood too to fit the KB.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:40 AM
HOONIGAN
Instructor

Thanks for info, I'm really torn between Kenne bell and heads and cam, the high rise good doesn't bother me, and the centri's are good Ik they are great but I love the whine and instant torque the roots make. But at the same time not looking to **** myself over, plus not a lot of ppl have KB's on C5's so the rarity is a plus I guess

Get notified of new replies

To Kenne Bell twin screw question

Old 04-15-2015, 03:47 AM
Crabr1
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I have over 40,000 miles on mine,just under 600rwhp. Had some issues with meth and the NW throttle body,nick sent me a new one and it's been fine since.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:48 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

nice C2!!
Old 04-15-2015, 02:35 PM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi mate.
I got caught up with other cars , and ended up selling it , 18 months later wished I hadn't . Have bought another z but went tvs2300 cos kb
seems to be unavailable .

Keep it 6-8 lbs and it will be fine , reliability for me is down to a good install + tune.

I think you mentioned heads and cam instead of a blower , I would do a blower ,even more so if its a daily .

That's a lot of fun even if you have to pay the full 3.5 k ,which I think is a good price ,hit the guy with 3k that would be a cracking deal .

Your money mate . leave it with ya.

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell twin screw question