C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mawnee's single top mount TC76 build

Old 08-11-2013, 05:30 AM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Mawnee's single top mount TC76 build

I've begun tinkering with it so its time to start a build thread.

Fair warning, this will not be a speedy build. While I have ordered many of the parts already, I'm still undecided on some and will deal with them when I get to that point. I daily drive the car and will be working on the setup in sections to avoid a lengthy downtime. I also live in Florida and it is far too hot for me to go out and knock this out in a week in this august heat . My intent is to do the final install and tune this winter. I will update this thread as I make progress and have something to show

Ok, so on to the build and goals. My current car is an 03 Z06. I have already installed a 228 cam and Spec 3+ clutch. The turbo is a Turbonetics TC76 Hurricane "Vanessa" 68mm turbine .96 ar. I went with both oil and liquid cooled for longevity. I will be building a top mount similar to the Cerra/Hinson setup. My goal is 575rwTQ, I don't care where the HP ends up. I want a quick spooling, responsive, fun to drive to work car.

So lets start

I'll be building the main manifold out of schedule 10 weld Els and pipe. 1.5" for the primaries and 2.5" for the main log. Mind you schedule 10 is oversized, so the 2.5" actually has a 2.875"OD and 2.635id.

I have an old head on my bench for test fitting and building on. Here I am guessing at the turbo flange location:

In order to dial in the turbo location I made my "Handy Dandy adjustable Turbo Flange locator!"

And here is me fiddling with the location. I am going to have to put it in just the right spot to clear the hood and still get the manifold over the water pump outlets. This will be easier once my smaller coolant reservoir arrives.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by MawneeC5; 08-11-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:12 AM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Should make for a nice daily driver. Good luck on the build.
Leave the inlet filter off, So you can get rid of the rodent. I see damage in the last picture.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:14 AM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

NICE!! Looking forward to the build.

Gotta love the start of a build thread! It doesn't feel like it's been that long since I had a spare head viced to my bench for manifold work

You sure you don't want to put another one of those on the other side? It will spool by 4k
Old 08-11-2013, 10:15 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Tonights project, Round peg, square hole. The catch here is there is no room for a proper transition and bend. Even this way it barely clears the coolant lines coming out of the water pump.

Last edited by MawneeC5; 08-11-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:19 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gotjuice?
Should make for a nice daily driver. Good luck on the build.
Leave the inlet filter off, So you can get rid of the rodent. I see damage in the last picture.
Thanks.

I don't have any rodents. Though I think I see what you see in the pic. Its actually the injector harness over the vacuum line, not a chunk missing. though admittedly my engine is kinda dirty. Gotta love that florida sand/dust....
Old 08-12-2013, 08:18 AM
venomws7
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Good luck with the build man I did a custom setup with ST80 with similer turbo location with very low timing , Rich fuel and only 11psi made 670rwhp 625rwtq I'm now going with something bigger

Are you going to use the stock driver header? What size downpipe?
Your goal should be very easy to get.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:12 PM
HolyShiznit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honest question: If 575 wtq was all you wanted and you were dead set on that type of set-up....why not just order a Hinson hot pipe kit and save you a lot of time/effort/etc? The Hinson set-up especially with a turbo like yours (small exhaust side) would spool easily and hit your numbers.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:40 AM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by venomws7
Good luck with the build man I did a custom setup with ST80 with similer turbo location with very low timing , Rich fuel and only 11psi made 670rwhp 625rwtq I'm now going with something bigger

Are you going to use the stock driver header? What size downpipe?
Your goal should be very easy to get.
I will be putting the stock manifold back on the drivers side. 3" downpipe.

Originally Posted by HolyShiznit
Honest question: If 575 wtq was all you wanted and you were dead set on that type of set-up....why not just order a Hinson hot pipe kit and save you a lot of time/effort/etc? The Hinson set-up especially with a turbo like yours (small exhaust side) would spool easily and hit your numbers.
My entire kit will cost barely more than what Hinson wants just for the hotside pipes. I'm putting in the time and effort to save the money.
Also because I NEED a project. I get bored when I'm not tinkering on something. I take far more pride in saying "I built this" rather than "I bought this"
Old 08-13-2013, 10:26 AM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by MawneeC5

My entire kit will cost barely more than what Hinson wants just for the hotside pipes. I'm putting in the time and effort to save the money.
Also because I NEED a project. I get bored when I'm not tinkering on something. I take far more pride in saying "I built this" rather than "I bought this"
Awesome, I'm parts gathering at the moment. I like the Hinson kit too but I want a 3.5" downpipe like Venom ST80 setup. been shopping aggressively. I'm currently at $1440 in parts (precision billet 67, treadstone intercooler, precision 46mm wastegate, generic 50mm Bov, eBay intercooler piping "kit") Only thing left that I need is the hotside piping and fabbing and whatever misc that pops up
Old 08-13-2013, 10:32 AM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Btw that header flange you have there, where did you get and what's the I.D of the exhaust port.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:06 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
Awesome, I'm parts gathering at the moment. I like the Hinson kit too but I want a 3.5" downpipe like Venom ST80 setup. been shopping aggressively. I'm currently at $1440 in parts (precision billet 67, treadstone intercooler, precision 46mm wastegate, generic 50mm Bov, eBay intercooler piping "kit") Only thing left that I need is the hotside piping and fabbing and whatever misc that pops up
Nice! Sounds like you are roughly where I'm at. I have most everything but the cold side ordered. I really considered the Treadstone IC, but even that is a tad pricey. My two other options are an Evo X IC which is side in top out and the top mount Rx7 one that is top in top out.

Btw that header flange you have there, where did you get and what's the I.D of the exhaust port.
Ebay 3/8 thick 1.820" ports stainless. Its made by Dynatech. The lip of the 1.5" Weld Els sort of fit into it like a ball so I can rotate them around a bit and still have a full seal.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:07 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Doing some work tonight:
-Laying down the radiator
-Tapping the oil pan for an oil drain
-Installing oil feed
-Installing modified stock thermostat(shimmed to roughly 180)
-Installing and plumbing a smaller coolant reservoir to clear up space for the turbo

Look at all the junk in the radiator!

Smaller reservoir
Old 08-18-2013, 08:49 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

What welder do you have?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:24 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

What welder do you have?
At the moment just a Harbor freight 170amp mig(with gas) in my garage, my old 70 amp for tacking died last week. I have access to a nicer miller unit at work. My main log manifold I'll just be tacking together and taking to be professionally Tigged with the proper backpurge. The crossover, downpipe and midpipe I'll probably weld up myself.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:15 AM
Zeus-of-Boost
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very interesting. subscribed. keep up the good work man
Old 08-19-2013, 05:22 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

I wish I had this much room for a turbo...

Drain installed.

NOW its a proper project...

Drain line clears the power steering cooler and subframe perfectly. I'll probably still wrap another hose around it just incase.

Moved lower brackets forward 6"

Made this much room up top.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:37 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

All done. Please excuse the coolant res mount and all the coolant lines. This is temporary as my turbo is liquid cooled and I'll have to redo it then. I also ran out of energy and did not install the oil feed. Though that doesn't look too hard to get at later. For now I just stuck a huge bolt in the drain with a clamp to keep it sealed.

I also installed a stock thermostat I shimmed to lower the temp(about .100"). It works perfectly. Before my car would idle between 193-196, now it stays 180-183

Get notified of new replies

To Mawnee's single top mount TC76 build

Old 08-19-2013, 09:55 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

interesting, I'm eyeing this carefully, I'm starting to stray and look at fender TT setups.
I want to see your manifold and downpipe, Downpipe clearance is my only concern right now. I want 3.5"
Old 08-19-2013, 10:12 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

interesting, I'm eyeing this carefully, I'm starting to stray and look at fender TT setups.
I want to see your manifold and downpipe, Downpipe clearance is my only concern right now. I want 3.5"
Manifold and downpipe will be a little while. I had some power tools stolen from my garage a couple years back and didn't until today realize they got my chop saw

3.5" downpipe will be tough. I've been measuring and plotting my manifold design and its going to be tight getting a 3" downpipe down there. Part of the problem is that the 2.5" schedule 10 piping I'm using for my manifold is almost 3" od so its taking up more space than the thinner stuff Cerra/Hinson used. I will find a way though
Old 08-20-2013, 09:20 AM
c5vette211
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by MawneeC5

Found your build. Im right there with you. I am coming in less than $2500 for my build and I can say I built it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mawnee's single top mount TC76 build