C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centrifugal to Turbo; What's Involved?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 11:07 AM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Centrifugal to Turbo; What's Involved?

Good morning. I'm currently running an F1C Procharger on a fully built C5R 427 that makes a little over 900 hp at the wheels on 12 psi. While the car is obviously healthy, after having had several turbo cars and one turbo bike, I've decided that I miss the non-linear boost build of turbos, and I'm thinking about a change. Assuming that my fuel system and engine are ready, what all do I need to change, and what non-custom system would work on a 427 to get me to around 1000 RWHP?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2013, 01:31 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

For sure you will need a good turbo CAM. The other is what you really want to go with. Look at someone that does turbo builds.Robert
Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 PM
joshtownsend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Step 1. Sell F1c to me
Step 2. Buy other crap for turbo
Step 3. Repeat step 1 if you haven't done so already.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:35 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
Step 1. Sell F1c to me
Step 2. Buy other crap for turbo
Step 3. Repeat step 1 if you haven't done so already.
you forgot to say at a really good price.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by marco383
Good morning. I'm currently running an F1C Procharger on a fully built C5R 427 that makes a little over 900 hp at the wheels on 12 psi. While the car is obviously healthy, after having had several turbo cars and one turbo bike, I've decided that I miss the non-linear boost build of turbos, and I'm thinking about a change. Assuming that my fuel system and engine are ready, what all do I need to change, and what non-custom system would work on a 427 to get me to around 1000 RWHP?

Thanks!
What cam do you have ?

For the most part it will be as simple as removing the blower, headers etc etc, and choosing and installing your desired turbo kit.

Your cam may be fine, it may be poor, it may be great. I'm sure it wont be so bad you couldnt use it and still make great power though.

Your biggest issue will be selecting the turbo kit and turbochargers really.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:38 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Just throw an F1X on there... Gain a couple hundred HP and a relatively easy swap... Your current bracket and piping should work... Just swap head units.

It won't get you that turbo boost/power band youre looking for but.... it will get you a $hit ton of power if you pulley it down enough..

Probably your easiest/cheapest option... Especially after you sell Josh the F1C...
Old 09-17-2013, 07:39 PM
joshtownsend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
you forgot to say at a really good price.
I don't mind the totally fair market price of $900.. I might even go $912.75
Old 09-17-2013, 08:17 PM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Money and time.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:03 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

what steve said for the most part.

heres my take on it.

Fuel System, and driveline strengthening, you probably already have that covered.

Sell Blower, Bracket, Intercooler and Charge Piping, headers and X Pipe.

Buy new Turbo's Charge Piping and intercooler and Turbo exhaust components.

be really pissed off that it cost you 5K even after selling your supercharger parts to convert to a TT setup.

Make more power but really don't run much faster than you would have with a F1X.

No seriously, I think the reason you don't see as many TT C5's is because of the fact that it cost a lot more. Though the power Potential is greater.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:51 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
What cam do you have ?

For the most part it will be as simple as removing the blower, headers etc etc, and choosing and installing your desired turbo kit.

Your cam may be fine, it may be poor, it may be great. I'm sure it wont be so bad you couldnt use it and still make great power though.

Your biggest issue will be selecting the turbo kit and turbochargers really.
I was always in the thinking a good turbo cam was totally diff than a N/A or F/I cam. Not saying it will not work ok, but a good friend that put a ton of TTIX kits in these cars, Also told the people from R/R that a good turbo cam will make a good 50 plus rwhp over a non one.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:31 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
I was always in the thinking a good turbo cam was totally diff than a N/A or F/I cam. Not saying it will not work ok, but a good friend that put a ton of TTIX kits in these cars, Also told the people from R/R that a good turbo cam will make a good 50 plus rwhp over a non one.

Depends how you look at it really. Are we simply talking peak numbers, spread of power, etc etc ?

Look at how many people are boosting LS6 cams in junk 5.3's etc. They are making huge numbers, it would work great n/a, SC, or Turbo.

So it really depends where you're starting from, the overall build, the characteristics you want from a cam etc etc.

There are many variables no matter what route you take. But almost all cams, especially mildish cams will produce great results with all builds.
Yes you can push harder with more extreme setups, but there arent that many running huge cams anyway

Last edited by stevieturbo; 09-18-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:06 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
but there arent that many running huge cams anyway
402TT here with a 243/251 116lsa cam...

Can still build 3.xpsi under 1500rpm

Last edited by JDS99; 09-18-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:52 AM
c7rvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it sounds a lot easier than it is....but you have a good starting point with a built motor. What turbo kit are you looking at? the ttix kit is a proven kit, and is a solid one worth considering, beauty of turbos is the guage how you can regulate the boost. The fact that your making only 12 lbs of boost means you have zero lag, and your motor should last a good 5 years before having to open it and changing the pistons, rods and bearings.

Get notified of new replies

To Centrifugal to Turbo; What's Involved?

Quick Reply: Centrifugal to Turbo; What's Involved?