C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats wrong with this catch can install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:35 AM
c4_4ya
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Whats wrong with this catch can install?

2000 C5 stock LS1 with STS kit. This is how the catch can was installed, which I think is incorrect and perhaps causing my dip stick to pop out at full boost. The dip stick blew out first time at full boost after having the can installed, but I haven't tried again since.

Here's a diagram of how it was installed:

Here's how I was thinking it should be installed, but looking for feedback:

Thanks
Old 02-07-2014, 11:55 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

It looks to me that in either diagram once you're in boost the crankcase pressure has no where to go. If you're stuck on using a closed/catch can system you need the other RX can that has three nipples.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:17 PM
c4_4ya
Pro

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
It looks to me that in either diagram once you're in boost the crankcase pressure has no where to go. If you're stuck on using a closed/catch can system you need the other RX can that has three nipples.
The STS pressure switch will trigger the STS PCV switch valve closed when boost hits 1psi to prevent manifold pressure/boost from entering crank case. Also, when the switch valve closes, supposedly the crankcase pressure can vent through the filter (see first diagram for the valve switch and pressure switch, not included in the new diagram yet). Please note that this is what I think the STS system is supposed to do, but I am trying to get more details from STS.

Basically, the second diagram is the typical STS installation but with the catch can on the dirty side of the PCV (instead of the clean side the way it was installed).

If using a single catch can, why would someone install it on the fresh air source vs. the dirty side where the stock pcv valve is?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:58 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Op how much boost are you running and what size are the lines?
Old 02-07-2014, 02:29 PM
c4_4ya
Pro

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
Op how much boost are you running and what size are the lines?
6#. Not sure on the line size, will report back when I get home from outta town.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:57 PM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Is the catch can vented? (Breather on top) I have The Mighty Mouse boost can and mine has a breather

I will be setting it up like this

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-o...MM%2520PCV.jpg

Last edited by PEETYZ; 02-07-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:57 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Ok. Your issue is probably just a case of the lines not being large enough. I ran the small dual check valved triple port catch can from RX just the way your diagram shows and with the small lines they use, it just didn't cut it. I too was blowing the dipstick out under boost. It makes a big mess!!

What you need to do is get some -8 lines and fittings and run one off the driver cover, one off the blower intake ( Checked) and one off the intake manifold (behind the throttle body (checked) and one of the rx checked breather caps on the oil fill spout. That should do you some good.

Of course there are other ways but this way seems to be effective.

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 02-07-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:00 PM
2000BC
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 02-07-2014, 06:57 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

I agree that a bunch of 3/8" lines tee'ed together all trying to vent through one 3/8" line isn't enough but I wouldn't expect it to push the dipstick out. I'd also check how restrictive that filter is. I had everything going to a Jazz catch can with a big filter on it and thought I was good but when I tried breathing into the filter I found it was wicked restrictive.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:19 PM
c4_4ya
Pro

So here is the default STS install of their switches, and my understanding of the vac/boost flow:

So, with just a by-the-book install of this kit, the switch valve/pressure switch allows clean air via vacuum from the TB to the valve cover. When the pressure switch detects > 1psi, it blocks off the port to valve cover and vents pressure to atmosphere. Given this default installation of STS, where would the catch can go ideally? On the dirty PCV lines before the PCV valve?
Old 02-07-2014, 09:28 PM
c4_4ya
Pro

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
Ok. Your issue is probably just a case of the lines not being large enough. I ran the small dual check valved triple port catch can from RX just the way your diagram shows and with the small lines they use, it just didn't cut it. I too was blowing the dipstick out under boost. It makes a big mess!! What you need to do is get some -8 lines and fittings and run one off the driver cover, one off the blower intake ( Checked) and one off the intake manifold (behind the throttle body (checked) and one of the rx checked breather caps on the oil fill spout. That should do you some good. Of course there are other ways but this way seems to be effective.
So with only 6-7 psi, the 3/8" lines are too small?

Also in your reference to blower intake, would the outlet on the TB suffice?

The PCV valve does have a check valve between it and the manifold.

I'm wondering if maybe the STS switch valve is failed, I'll have to check that...
Old 02-07-2014, 09:41 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

I no likey any of the diagrams you posted lol! But a million ways to do it so I'm not going to bother posting my way as its a dead horse subject and if you did a little searching via Google you would find some really good information on this subject. Good luck I'm sure you'll get it figured out.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:00 PM
c4_4ya
Pro

Originally Posted by inspector12
I no likey any of the diagrams you posted lol! But a million ways to do it so I'm not going to bother posting my way as its a dead horse subject and if you did a little searching via Google you would find some really good information on this subject. Good luck I'm sure you'll get it figured out.
I did lots of searching on this forum and google, and there are like you said- lots of different ways of doing it thus my source of confusion. Add in the pressure switch and switch valve of the STS kit, and there's really no good information on this subject that I can find. If there is a clear and definitive way to incorporate a catch can with the C5 STS kit, I would love to see it. If you have yours hooked up and working properly with an STS kit, then I would like to see how you did it.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:11 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Vent to atmosphere. /done
Old 02-08-2014, 03:02 AM
RoccoC5
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Vent to atmosphere. /done
Yay, pollution!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:29 AM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...N-Fitting.html
Start with one of these and run it to a vented catch can. Get rid of the rest of it lol.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:36 PM
FixedRoof
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

The problem with pic 2 is that I believe that port on the TB you are using as a vent should be seeing boost when the engine is making any. It would likely be feeding right into the crankcase the way it looks on the 2nd diagram. This would cause the stick to pop. This hose would normally run to an air filter "inlet" on a S/C which sees no pressure but with an STS I have no clue since that's all in the back.

The bypass to vent filter with the solenoid like in the first pic would negate this effect. However it looks like in the first pic, the can is backwards and also on the wrong line not really doing anything but stopping it up if it has a built in check valve.

The STS diagram uses the TB line as a vent only under vacuum and opens it up to a filter when it makes boost... This is how it looks at least.

You could probably do a combination of diagram 1 and 2 and make it work. The whole thing seems overly complicated.

Last edited by FixedRoof; 02-08-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Whats wrong with this catch can install?

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with this catch can install?