C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment issues how should I fix this..

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Default Alignment issues how should I fix this..Issue Resolved

I sent Josh at A&A the same thing but the more the better...It's a 2001 D1SC Procharger on a A&A second gen bracket..Basically I may just need a longer bolt maybe I'm overthinking it.

I hope I explain this correctly with the pics. I was shredding belts and lasered it and seen I was off. I thought it was the crank pulley while I was down there figured I would do a cam swap. Got the cam in and putting everything back together. I measured the crank snout to the balancer with a micrometer and I am within spec. It read 0.135..spec is 0.094-0.176" so I know I am gtg..

I need to push the SC out towards the radiator but if I add the spacer then try to thread the bolt through that has a washer on the end I can't get enough bite on the sc headunit threads(I stripped one gonna helicoil it) So you know on the bracket you have the bolt and washer. Well I used that washer to push the head unit forward and it lines up perfect and gets enough threads into the head unit. The only problem is now I don't have a washer on the bolt that goes through the bracket. DO I just need to get a longer bolt that way I can use washers on both ends? here is what I'm talking about.

So in this pic you see the back spacer closer to that sensor? See how I have the washer in between the head unit and spacer but not one on the bolt head side. If I use this method on all of them it aligns it correctly to the crank when I laser it..

in this pic you can see how i have the head bolt washesr where it's supposed to be but I have the gap in between I need to add a washer but the bolt isn't long enough..

This is the bottom spacer and I have the spacer in it to space it out correctly..

it has a washer on the bolt head side but it's very very thin.. You can see it here

This is with the spacer between the sc and spacer it's dead on

So how should I go about this? Should I get a longer bolt to use the spacers that it origanlly is supposed to use like the top second pic? Should I just use really thin washers on all the bolts heads like the bottom pic or should I not use any washers at all like the top pic the one closer to the tb? Thanks

Last edited by Chicago1; 02-24-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:08 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I think this is a common problem with Prochargers and A&A brackets. Usually its when people try to run the F1 though. I think the solution is to machine 1 ribs with off the pulley so it sit in towards the supercharger further.

PM joshtownsend on here I think he went through this too
Old 02-23-2014, 12:48 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

do you have a spacer behind your blower pulley?... if you do you might be able to either shave that down enough to line it up or remove it completely
Old 02-23-2014, 02:19 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Originally Posted by Milan
I think this is a common problem with Prochargers and A&A brackets. Usually its when people try to run the F1 though. I think the solution is to machine 1 ribs with off the pulley so it sit in towards the supercharger further.

PM joshtownsend on here I think he went through this too
That makes sense because the idler pulley on the bracket needed a spacer to be pushed out to match the blower pulley alignment. So what am I maching because behind the pulley it's just slides and is keyed on. Ill pm him

Originally Posted by neutron82
do you have a spacer behind your blower pulley?... if you do you might be able to either shave that down enough to line it up or remove it completely
no spacer it's just keyed in there not sure if I could do anything to that area Ill take a pic tonight
Old 02-23-2014, 04:10 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I wonder if somehow you have the wrong pulley?... the pulley I have has no shoulders and looks a lot different than yours and I have a d1sc also... here is a pic of the spacer I should have had from the beginning and you can see the difference in our pulleys... I was informed by another member that my kit is set up to run an 8 rib pulley if I upgrade down the road so I should have had this spacer sent to me with my kit in the first place since I'm running a 6 rib

Old 02-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Ill take a pic when I get home I looked through my insall thread and thought I had some but don't. I can't recall what it looks like. I know it has a 4.5 pulley on it. I was going to go with a 3.6 or 3.8 I was trading with someone. Worst comes to worst I just add spacers but just wondering why and if anyone needed longer bolts. I just want the damn thing running already
Old 02-23-2014, 05:03 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

trust me I know how you feel, I was in the same boat... my car was down for 4 months due to a stupid yet simple belt issue and having troubles with the company I bought the parts from... if I had the right stuff from the beginning it would have been done way sooner than that... I am sure your issue is something simple, if you recall I went so far as to shaving my bracket spacers which created other problems when all I needed was one simple spacer... how much boost do you plan on making?... I have a 4.38 pulley on mine with a restrictor plate in my inlet filter and was making about 8psi at 5k rpm when my clutch started slipping... I would assume 10-11psi at redline... a 3.6 or 3.8 might make more boost than you want to make right now
Old 02-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

I figured a 3.6 or 3.8 will net me about 10# up at my altitude with the headers and the cam. I figured they can lower the timing if need be but I am still up in the air with that. Maybe I should just start with 4.0 and go from there? Technically if I add spacers I would be gtg but just knowing if I take the blower off the spacers fall out everywhere since A&A said to place them between the blower and pulley I figured that wouldn't matter though. I remember you shaving those it was crazy after that. I almost was going to do the same but seen after putting the stock water pump back on things went the opposite way for me.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:26 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I didn't even think about your altitude so you might be right about that, I guess the only way to know for sure is to find out haha... well hmm, do you happen to have a micrometer?... measure the length of your spacers and then measure the thickness of your washer and get in touch with Andy to see if your spacers are the correct length that he normally sends out and I'm sure he could machine you some new ones that are longer to compensate for the washer and supply you with slightly longer bolts... a local machine shop might even be able to make them for you and save some time, just tossing out ideas
Old 02-23-2014, 06:07 PM
leo12
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Default spacer

as a couple guys said pulley is usually the culprit .
one pulley spacer and went from 12 pounds to 18 with no Issues
Old 02-23-2014, 07:51 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

If it all lines up good and well now then I would suggest purchasing the correct bolt length you need and be done with it!

Spaced out good, aligned good, bolts length needed is all that is left to do!

Thanks,Matt
Old 02-24-2014, 05:42 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

You say there is a gap behind the spacer ?

But why is there a washer behind the other spacer ? which is creating the gap at the top one ?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:16 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
You say there is a gap behind the spacer ?

But why is there a washer behind the other spacer ? which is creating the gap at the top one ?
I was just showing the difference between how much space I needed with and without the spacer.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:26 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Default Issue resolved!!!

I'm a idiot....

Milan, thanks for getting me in touch with joshtownsend and other suggesting the pulley. joshtownsend sent me his number and said "Did you know the pulley can be turned around?" I said no because one side is grooved and the other side has that silver spacer/hat that goes into the pulley where the bolt goes through to tighten down the pulley on the SC.

So to me it can only slide in one way. Well I took the pulley out and noticed the snout was shorter on one side vs the other by you guessed it .125". Stuck a screwdriver in the hole and popped out that silver part. Flipped it around and the skies opened up and birds sang from the heaven above. ****ing A man can't believe I didn't know that would of saved me so much headaches and time. Oh well lesson learned. Issue is fixed I must of lasered it 9 or 10 times just to visually see it was all gtg..I'm embarrassed but glad it's fixed.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:23 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Happens to the best of us man. Atleast it was that easy! Forget it and get it going
Old 02-24-2014, 09:35 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Thanks Peetyz, I took tomorrow off of work to work on the car. I want this thing going I'm in the zone now!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:57 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment issues how should I fix this..

Old 02-24-2014, 06:59 PM
joshtownsend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well well well..hahaha
Old 02-24-2014, 10:54 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
I'm a idiot....

Milan, thanks for getting me in touch with joshtownsend and other suggesting the pulley.
Woohoo!!!

Glad I/we were able to help!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:22 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

I had tommorow off but couldn't leave my teammate by himself so no free day. Man I'm so stoked to get it back together. Thanks so much guys

Quick Reply: Alignment issues how should I fix this..