C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cog Drive pros vs. cons/ LS6 Blower question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 01:15 AM
HCtotheMAX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cog Drive pros vs. cons/ LS6 Blower question

Would any and all F/I experienced members (who know about cog drive set ups) please give me a little direction, and your 2 cents on using a belt Cog drive set up with a Centri blower?

*I know cog set ups are whiney, but that is what I want.

Question: #1. Is there a minimun PSI you have to be running to optimize cog set ups?
Question #2. You hear of regular belts spinning or throwing often, doesn't the cog set up hold better overall? And if so, why don't you see more F/I guys with Centri blowers running a cog set up? They make various widths of the cog belts and pulleys right?

I am stewing over some ideas for my C5Z, the "Silver Fox". Enginewize she has heads, cam, but on stock LS6 bottom. Ported LS6 intake, TB, Headers, Borla Stinger CB.

Had it a while, and I am getting bored now. Just need more power you know!... These new cars can get your spirits down, mine anyways... LS3 Vette's, C6Z's, the C6ZR1. All these cars just lick their chops when they see a C5, that hurts a man. An LS3 C6 gets a cam and 500 to the tires, crazy.. It's hard to compete with that in a bolt on H/C N/A LS6. (Driver obviously makes A difference)

My ultimate goal: Big cube 427/434/444, supercharged, cog drive nestled in my 2003 C5Z.. 800 RW horse (Really peak # not important as long as it is alot of power and and stays up there for a large portion of the powerband). Drivetrain obviously being a priority at this level..

Question #3
But in the meantime while I work out the motor build, I want to get the supercharger installed now and put it on the LS6. Im not planning on beating on it, but I do want to enjoy it, car needs to streach its legs now and then..And I'll also get use to driving a SC car while motor is being built. Is this a good idea or not, and why?

I was thinking nothing major on boost, but I did want cog pulleys..
Question # 4
If possible, I also want the ability to run standard boost levels on the stock LS6, but then the ability to crank up the boost on the built motor.
Any suggestions on what Vortech or Procharger head unit fits this profile? please chime in.
Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JB
Old 07-24-2014, 01:51 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

seeing that you're in dallas I'm going to recommend you get in touch with Bret (blownbluez06)... he can help you out with anything you need, give you a great tune, and he's local to boot
Old 07-24-2014, 02:01 AM
HCtotheMAX
Advanced

Originally Posted by neutron82
seeing that you're in dallas I'm going to recommend you get in touch with Bret (blownbluez06)... he can help you out with anything you need, give you a great tune, and he's local to boot
Thanks man!
Old 07-24-2014, 07:38 AM
joshtownsend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1.GD setups for the vetts that are out are junk..period.. I know first hand of coarse
2.You can make 800 on a p1sc1 and stock CI motor..and be reliable and be faster then any of the combos you stated
3. An over spun smaller head unit is twice as fast as an under spun bigger blower..

You need to really read..preferably on some of the outlaw/grudge racing sites on how blowers work and why. If you get 100% of your info here, you probably going to get a lot of BS and be just as slow and disappointing the rest of them here.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:42 AM
b16gsr
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

i have a House of Boost/Procharger cog setup for sale on the cheap if you are interested.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:46 AM
HCtotheMAX
Advanced

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
1.GD setups for the vetts that are out are junk..period.. I know first hand of coarse
2.You can make 800 on a p1sc1 and stock CI motor..and be reliable and be faster then any of the combos you stated
3. An over spun smaller head unit is twice as fast as an under spun bigger blower..

You need to really read..preferably on some of the outlaw/grudge racing sites on how blowers work and why. If you get 100% of your info here, you probably going to get a lot of BS and be just as slow and disappointing the rest of them here.
Great advice and thanks for your input. I really appreciate it!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
True. You failed.

(This is sometimes my Internet attitude but I hope this can be understood with a smile. In fact, I already apologize. Sorry Josh if this is too aggressive reply.)

Please Josh: do not generalize with GD. I know personally that it can be done - and it has be done. But not necessarily by just reading these forums..

For the OP: forget the GD. You won't need it. Go with 8 or 10 rib; ask from your supercharger vendor more info and you'll be fine.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:16 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles
True. You failed.

(This is sometimes my Internet attitude but I hope this can be understood with a smile. In fact, I already apologize. Sorry Josh if this is too aggressive reply.)

Please Josh: do not generalize with GD. I know personally that it can be done - and it has be done. But not necessarily by just reading these forums..

For the OP: forget the GD. You won't need it. Go with 8 or 10 rib; ask from your supercharger vendor more info and you'll be fine.
Good 8 rib with a flip drive with everything set up correct will get ZERO slip on the unit. Robert
Old 07-24-2014, 11:20 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If 800whp is your goal you dont need a engine nearly that big.. Start looking at somthing from 364-408ci, they will easily make over 900whp with a conservative tune up. Look at head Units like the Vortech YSI, Paxton Novi 2200R with a 10 rib drive. It makes NO sense to go through the cog drive hassle at that power level. Plenty of guys running 10 rib over 1000hp with no issues.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:24 PM
HCtotheMAX
Advanced

Originally Posted by breecher_7
If 800whp is your goal you dont need a engine nearly that big.. Start looking at somthing from 364-408ci, they will easily make over 900whp with a conservative tune up. Look at head Units like the Vortech YSI, Paxton Novi 2200R with a 10 rib drive. It makes NO sense to go through the cog drive hassle at that power level. Plenty of guys running 10 rib over 1000hp with no issues.
This is exactly the kind of feedback I was after. I really appreciate the reply. Thanks!

JB
Old 07-24-2014, 12:26 PM
HCtotheMAX
Advanced

Originally Posted by robert miller
Good 8 rib with a flip drive with everything set up correct will get ZERO slip on the unit. Robert
Thank you for the input, I appreciate the info.

I think you guys are slowly swaying me away from the Cog setup.

JB
Old 07-24-2014, 01:38 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
8 rib here with over that in rwhp plus with ZERO belt slip. But do have flip drive set up on it. Befor the flip drive YES on the belt slip...

I also agree on the smaller C.I motor also if I had it to do over would have went smaller C.I. Robert

Last edited by robert miller; 07-24-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
8 rib here with over that in rwhp plus with ZERO belt slip. But do have flip drive set up on it. Befor the flip drive YES on the belt slip...

I also agree on the smaller C.I motor also if I had it to do over would have went smaller C.I. Robert
On what? I thought you were running a 10 Rib on a F1X?

Yeah a 8 rib with DD will be fine on a YSI/2200R with a 3" or larger pulley. Below that it slips from my experience.

Get notified of new replies

To Cog Drive pros vs. cons/ LS6 Blower question

Quick Reply: Cog Drive pros vs. cons/ LS6 Blower question