C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Mod: Pro Charger- Some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 02:20 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Mod: Pro Charger- Some questions

Ok I couldn't leave her stock for long so after discussion with tuners in my area I have settled on a Pro Charger kit. From what I understand they seem to work better (with less problems) on a near stock motor. I will be adding Long Tube headers at the same time.

My questions.. Those that have installed the ATI Pro-Charger system on there Z06 is there any major "unknowns" I may not know about. I am aware that there are some belt alignment problems etc. Has anyone experienced any other problems?

Where can I get the LSedit? My tuner does not have this as of yet but advises me that it would be a good idea to have and I agree.

What brand of long tube headers to those with super chargers prefer?

Thanks in advance for any input. As stated I will have a pro shop do the install, dyno and tuning however I like to know as much as possible before going in. My "home work" was to find the LSedit. :cheers:
Old 07-27-2002, 02:53 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Default Re: First Mod: Pro Charger- Some questions (Rookiedyn)

Doh :crazy: I found the LSedit information in the scan and tune section. I would still appreciate any experiences or input from others that have done this mod. Thanks...

[Modified by Rookiedyn, 1:53 PM 7/27/2002]
Old 07-27-2002, 03:52 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

I purchased the ATI S/C and installed it myself. After taking traces with Ease Software it was discovered the Cycle Duty of the 38lb injectors that were included in the kit were cycling at 100% @ 6,000 rpms.

I had to purchase new Bosch #42 lb. injectors to fix that. They cost $439 not including installation.

The Cooling fan is not working properly, nor is the restrictive shroud allowing enough air through the BeCool Radiator to keep the car at a proper temp. I am working through that issue now. Cost for repairs... unknown at this time... Estimate for repair... $500+

LS1 Edit Software was purchased for Fine tuning for $550

I will need a new Belt tensioner or have mine rebuilt so the belt does not slip. Cost unknown

A Coged belt system will be available soon at a cost of $1700 for parts only. That may be the way to go and stop fooling with a regular belt.

Horsepower that you get from all of this?? priceless... ;)

vetterdstr :cheers:

[Modified by vetterdstr, 12:10 PM 7/27/2002]
Old 07-27-2002, 04:11 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: First Mod: Pro Charger- Some questions (vetterdstr)

BTW, I am using TPIS Ceramic Coated Long Tubes, they work well on my car without problems of any kind.

Old 07-27-2002, 05:20 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Default Re: First Mod: Pro Charger- Some questions (vetterdstr)

thanks for the input vetterdstr. I wonder how many other people had trouble with the injectors like you did. Do you know if thats a common problem? I imagine if it was they would set the package up with 42lb injectors in the first place.. Something to watch for anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

I am excited about this mod but the belt slippage is nagging me. I am going to do more research on it. Thanks again..

:cheers:
Old 07-27-2002, 10:08 PM
Gary Wells
Racer

Whether they would set the package up with the 42 lb. injectors in the first place depends on how much homework they did before releasing the product, how many sets of 42 lb. injectors they have on hand before re-ordering or re-stocking, and how many people are still buying the package. If people are still buying the set-up, why change. I think that you need to keep this query up at the top of the menu for a while. I can't say on first hand knowledge, as I am running a bone stock 2002 Z06, not even broken in yet. But as far as second hand knowledge, I think that everybody running that set-up has probably had to go to the 42 lb. injectors, or something similiar. Also, the response up above that indicated to the extent of other problems would worry me. I know somebody in Lake Forest, Ca. running the same set-up on a 2001 Zo6, and had all of the same problems as detailed above. If I were you and I wanted the pro-charger, I would not install it myself, but have it installed by a compentent shop that would guarantee a certain amount of horsepower for a certain amount of money, including dynoing and debugged. Aren't you only a stones throw away from John Lingenfelter and Lingenfelter Performance Engineering. From what I have heard, I would be suprised if anybody responds to this query and says that the procharger worked as received, or without much of a installation headache. Only my own opinion, though.
Good luck
Gary Wells
Old 07-27-2002, 11:05 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Default Re: First Mod: Pro Charger- Some questions (Gary Wells)

I agree with your comments Gary and even though I have spoken to a few guys that have done this install themselves (obviously much more mechanically inclined then myself) I am going to leave the installation to a pro tuner out here. They have the experience and tools to do it right. :cheers:
Old 07-28-2002, 12:26 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

I welcome any and all comments on the ATI Procharger.

Some of these needed fixes I was aware of going into the project, some of them cropped up while testing after the install.

Many of the people who purchase the ATI S/C will have it installed by a shop and get 400 RWHP and be happy. They will never miss the extra 80 rwhp they should have gotten and that is tragic.... They dont know that the Max duty cycle of the 38 lb injectors is 80%. Nor do they know (by not having diagnostic testing equipment) that the injectors are running at 100% at 6,000 rpm. To them it seems to run good while burning the tires and pinning you back in the seat. They have no Idea that you really need #42 lb injectors because the engine is calling for more fuel and you are not getting it with the #38's. :(

For ATI I guess the extra $200 was too much to spend on the #42 lb injectors for the kit. In addition to this, the intercoolers are ok, but better intercoolers and lines can produce much more HP than what is to be had now... On the other hand, do we bolt this thing on the engine and get 485 to the rear wheels and enjoy it for years to come? or do we max the thing out for one dyno run of 650 RWHP and blow it up right in front of everyone for a good laugh... I vote for the good running, long lasting, High Horsepower kit we have. Lets do some Mods to it so we can run it wide open at the desert. Sit in Heavy traffic without any problems. And of course stomp on the other guys that dont have the HP that we do! :eek:

I choose to install the kit, trouble shoot it and tune it myself. This way I have a complete understanding of how it works, How to make it run optimal and of course how to fix it just in case something goes wrong in the future. Last thing I need is to be at someones Mercy with a specialty repair. ;)

I have enough trouble with the Dealership wanting to work on my car now.. Imagine if I bought into all the BS that they fed me thus far? "uh, Mr. vetterdstr... we cant work on your car because it sits too low and we cant get it up on the rack".... uh, Mr. vetterdstr... we didnt catch that current code in your computer when you had it in here the other day... why didnt you tell us about it??" My Reply... Put 2x4 boards on the ground and drive it up on them before the rack... Dont you hook up the car to the Tech II and pull the codes?? :rolleyes:

I have spoken with Install shops that are working on 2 cars at this time and they are having a tough time with cooling the engine too...
This just goes to show you that there are things with this kit that need tweaking... It is well worth it if you take the time to make it right.

I plan on spending another $3200 beyond the purchase price to complete the tuning and trouble shooting and for me it is worthwhile. Just one ride in this car and you will know why this is worth it to me.

BTW, it feels really good to be blown!! :)

Old 07-29-2002, 10:36 AM
dbvettez06
Melting Slicks

Programming is the biggest problem..Also, belt slippage, which you may only find while your car is being dynoed..I have had no cooling problems, as mine runs at 194-198 ...When all is said and done, you will have a huge smile on your face..500+ rwhp is there for the taking :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To First Mod: Pro Charger- Some questions

Quick Reply: First Mod: Pro Charger- Some questions