C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like I'm going to take the Charger plunge!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Brit dex
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Looks like I'm going to take the Charger plunge!

Read many threads, and had a few PM chats with some great members with some sound advice.. so thankyou.. I'm loading up up very near to doing htis now, so thought I would seek general opinion on doing this....
I've Got a C5 1999 vert auto, on about 50k miles, had a bug for a while for a Z... but its still a stretch too far realistically for now, so warming to an SC more and more.

my current set up has
upgrade air intake and throttle body,
headers, X pipe, sports cats and back box all custom and SS..
I also have an SCT chip in the wings which hopefully will aid tuning capability..

I woud like a Magnussen, but I don't think I want to go aftermarket hood, as talking to some guys, apart from an extra expense of buying and painting it, some have had issues with them in terms of fitment etc.. so maybe I stay clear, put the money into something else to assist the SC upgrade..

so it looks like procharger is way to go? don't think there are any other that don't require hood change

then we come to the bit of what else I would be recommended to do, a few people have said bolt on and use it, see if it breaks!

if anyone can suggest good additional things to do and rough cost, or what have you done, would be much appreciated in trying to weigh up a proper budget of pain! its both exciting and very daunting!!
CAr won't be tracked, its pure enjoyment and weekend play.. boost and set up will be for street use, and useable.. i.e. don't really want a big HP number if car just spins, would like to strike a good balance, which I guess is doown to set up.

I'm not doing this myself as I think it needs a pro to do it with this type of money at stake..

after charger ( pro charger best for needs?)

B&M plate cooler? not sure on spec or cost for this, but been recommended to do..

then, off we go? or do you think some other mods needed?

thanks
Old 10-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Z06 Sleeper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 Z06 with a Vortec V2 supercharger and it is as stealthy as can be (if you want it to be) fits under hood easily, very neat A+A install set and runs perfectly and fits well , very well designed , running in the range of 700hp/600'# and that is plenty , almost scary the first few times out , spun the tires like I was on ice in second gear rolling at 30MPH and just a moderate gas pedal bump , my drag radials lit up and that was WITH traction control ON , so have fun but be careful
Old 10-10-2014, 01:26 AM
Brit dex
Pro

Originally Posted by Z06 Sleeper
I have a 2004 Z06 with a Vortec V2 supercharger and it is as stealthy as can be (if you want it to be) fits under hood easily, very neat A+A install set and runs perfectly and fits well , very well designed , running in the range of 700hp/600'# and that is plenty , almost scary the first few times out , spun the tires like I was on ice in second gear rolling at 30MPH and just a moderate gas pedal bump , my drag radials lit up and that was WITH traction control ON , so have fun but be careful
Thanks Z sleeper,
yes concious of that, and I'm after useable power really, what ever BHP that turns out to be
And I think I need to take time to get used to things for sure..
Did you do any other mods to yours, or just bolt on and go?
Old 10-10-2014, 02:16 AM
Z06 Sleeper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for now just the LS6 Z06 motor and V2 supercharger , B+M ripper shifter, drag radials, EBC brakes etc , but the thing is the LS6 Z engine is essentially a race motor, cam is good and close to specs for a turbo/supercharger cam already it is plenty of cam for a street car that can race on occasion, 10.5:1 CR a little high but very streetable, I get 30MPG in sixth gear at 65MPH at 1600rpm, water temp in august didnt get over 200 degrees ever even on long drives with high humidity, the Z itself is a marvel but add a supercharger to a Z06 and it is amazing , daily driving no issues at all , handles like a dream , of course my nitrous oxide system makes for an insane set up but it does get attention at car shows which is why I built it to begin with :-)
Old 10-10-2014, 09:37 AM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I go to track events with 2 procharger guys.
My A&A is more reliable, faster laps, more hp, and doesn't through belts every other weekend.
I have seen both pro chargers through belts.

I do not at all regret not getting a pro charger. I love my A&A kit.
565 hp with no other mods. Not even exhaust.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Brit dex
Pro

Originally Posted by Z06 Sleeper
for now just the LS6 Z06 motor and V2 supercharger , B+M ripper shifter, drag radials, EBC brakes etc , but the thing is the LS6 Z engine is essentially a race motor, cam is good and close to specs for a turbo/supercharger cam already it is plenty of cam for a street car that can race on occasion, 10.5:1 CR a little high but very streetable, I get 30MPG in sixth gear at 65MPH at 1600rpm, water temp in august didnt get over 200 degrees ever even on long drives with high humidity, the Z itself is a marvel but add a supercharger to a Z06 and it is amazing , daily driving no issues at all , handles like a dream , of course my nitrous oxide system makes for an insane set up but it does get attention at car shows which is why I built it to begin with :-)
I know I'm kicking myself for not stretching to a Z few years back! Great base to build on
Old 10-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Brit dex
Pro

Originally Posted by 2ooo-C5
I go to track events with 2 procharger guys.
My A&A is more reliable, faster laps, more hp, and doesn't through belts every other weekend.
I have seen both pro chargers through belts.

I do not at all regret not getting a pro charger. I love my A&A kit.
565 hp with no other mods. Not even exhaust.
That's interesting
Is yours auto or manual? Is it stock hood?
Old 10-10-2014, 12:18 PM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brit dex
That's interesting
Is yours auto or manual? Is it stock hood?

Manual, stock hood.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Brit dex
Pro

Manual, stock hood.

Impressive!
Old 10-10-2014, 11:47 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

i've got the TVS2300 & love it. you could also get the eaton E-Force, which is a low-profile design using the same guts & fits under a stock hood. i won't lie - it takes a little more work, but there's a C5 on here running one from an LS2 kit on a 427.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:22 AM
Brit dex
Pro

Originally Posted by _zebra
i've got the TVS2300 & love it. you could also get the eaton E-Force, which is a low-profile design using the same guts & fits under a stock hood. i won't lie - it takes a little more work, but there's a C5 on here running one from an LS2 kit on a 427.
Excuse my limited knowledge
That's a Magnussen? I know there's a lot of love for those, as you get the trademark charger noise... Which actually I would like.. I'm just thinking it would mean another few 000's on another hood by the time, you get it bought , shipped painted etc..
I will look at E force too haven't come across that one..

The A&A one does look good..
Old 10-11-2014, 08:34 AM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

I looked at the center style, drove a few as well.
I have done track events with a calloway, I'm faster.

I prefer the A&A set up. One thing you don't get with a center style is a blow off valve.
I do track days with 100+ other cars. My car stands out. Everyone turns to watch my car on the straights cause they love the sound when I let off for the next corner. After the even several
people will ask why it sounds like that.

The Vortex and the pro Charger sound so much cooler then an old style whine.

Pull up next to a rice burner, rev just enough to get the flutter and watch there eyes.
Them tuner boys sure know what that sound means.

I absolutely love it, has been the best $6k I have ever spent on a car.

Strangely, the pro charger cars do not have the flutter I have. You can hear them suck
the air in, but they never flutter like the A&A kit.

----------------------------------

The eforce is more money and less hp. Forget that one.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:56 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Brit dex
Excuse my limited knowledge
That's a Magnussen? I know there's a lot of love for those, as you get the trademark charger noise... Which actually I would like.. I'm just thinking it would mean another few 000's on another hood by the time, you get it bought , shipped painted etc..
I will look at E force too haven't come across that one..

The A&A one does look good..
yep, Magnuson made the old 112 & 122 then updated the design and created the TVS series (1900 & 2300) which are a bit quieter without the cogs but are far more efficient. they started making the E-Force & Heartbeat versions a few years ago for a low-profile design to fit under stock Corvette hoods. their biggest downfall is if you want more than about 10psi. that's when you need the full-size to utilize better pulley combinations.

I looked at the center style, drove a few as well.
I have done track events with a calloway, I'm faster.

I prefer the A&A set up. One thing you don't get with a center style is a blow off valve.
I do track days with 100+ other cars. My car stands out. Everyone turns to watch my car on the straights cause they love the sound when I let off for the next corner. After the even several
people will ask why it sounds like that.

The Vortex and the pro Charger sound so much cooler then an old style whine.

Pull up next to a rice burner, rev just enough to get the flutter and watch there eyes.
Them tuner boys sure know what that sound means.

I absolutely love it, has been the best $6k I have ever spent on a car.

Strangely, the pro charger cars do not have the flutter I have. You can hear them suck
the air in, but they never flutter like the A&A kit.

----------------------------------

The eforce is more money and less hp. Forget that one.
i'm guessing by "center style" you mean positive displacement (PD). and you do technically still get a blow-off of sorts... it's just between the upper & lower manifold instead of venting to atmosphere.

yeah, Vortec & ProCharger have cool sounds, too, but i personally don't care what the ricer boys think - or many other people either. my cutouts are closed 90% of the time & it almost sounds stock, but i can still leave people while they're waiting for boost to build.

each person has their own needs from a build, and fortunately, there are plenty of different FI options to meet those needs. would i recommend a MP112 to somebody who bracket races at the strip? heck no! not even a TVS... a centri or turbo setup would be way better-suited. but for somebody who loves road racing or even just getting on it on the street, i'd say a TVS is a great choice. that's why i bought mine.

yes, the E-Force typically makes a lower HP # than a comparable centrifugal, but look at the torque numbers & where the power band is for the two. if all you care about is bragging to your buddies about a peak dyno number or only going fast in the upper end of your RPMs, then a standard centri is for you. if you like having consistent power on demand in just about any driving regime, then you should probably look at a PD or restricted centri.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Brit dex
Pro

Thanks for the input guys...
I do think, being an LS1, as much as just bolt on and see how it goes.. See if it breaks..
I might look to rebuild and upgrade the auto trans...
Any experience of what this involves and rough cost? How bigger a job?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2014, 10:36 AM
ViperC4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im running a psc1 on my 94. I have yet to throw a belt. I drive the car moderately hard. The sound is very distinct. My vette turns heads everywhere when they hear the whine. I am some where around 500 hp
Old 10-21-2014, 09:06 AM
OWENMUSTANG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's my understanding the Edelbrock will NOT fit under a stock C5 hood.

C6 & C7 yes, If someone has seen something other than that, I'm all

Both A&A (Vortec) on the west coast and ECS (paxton) on the east coast have very loyal customers.

I know A&A offers brkts for the Procharger. (guessing ECS does too.)

The Vortech's, Paxtons, & Pro charger all fit under the stock hood.

Either will get you to whatever HP level you need..

As always, pics please!
Old 10-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Brit dex
Pro

Well found cost of gearbox build and upgrade! Ouch... Might factor that in for another time..
Nearly 3k ...
I like the idea of the Maggie.. But changing the hood, getting it painted and shipped over here... I could re trim my interior for that money..
May have found someone for a vortec fitting and set up..

Get notified of new replies

To Looks like I'm going to take the Charger plunge!

Old 10-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Y2KRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

LOL@ your title OP. The way you capitalized "charger" and the context at which you presented the title sounds like you are going out to by a Dodge Charger.

I didn't read through all the other comments but, I'm guessing the term of "usable power" would be something 600whp and below? If that is the case, you can't go wrong with a Vortech V3Si, T-trim, or Procharger P1SC or D1SC. I would personally get a T-trim or D1SC. Either of these can easily get to 600whp without meth but they both have more room to grow than the other two. They are also marginally more expensive. I think upgrading from an Si trim to T-trim is only $450. The T-trim and D1SC can get you into the mid-high 700's without losing efficiency. They will still hit hard down low even being limited to 600whp with a bigger pulley. If you ever decide to build your motor in the future...you won't have to worry about upgrading your head unit if you want more power.

I would also suggest buying an A&A or ECS kit. They are both the best in the business.

Hope this helps. Good luck in your build.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:18 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I thought this was going to be a thread about dodges.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Hanlon's Law
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the idea of the ECS Novi 1500 kit with restrictor plate for a daily driver. More low/mid torque than the other kits. Not hating on A&A, just haven't seen much mention of ECS.

Quick Reply: Looks like I'm going to take the Charger plunge!