C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It Was Only A Matter of Time: Electric Driven Forced Induction In Production Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:19 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Default It Was Only A Matter of Time: Electric Driven Forced Induction In Production Vehicle

The article speaks of Audi using Electric Driven Forced Induction in a production car next year. The inevitability of this was quite clear long ago and the day of the traditional intercooler being replaced is likely to be on or just beyond the horizon.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...rger-explained
Old 10-16-2014, 12:01 AM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think there is any advantage to running an entirely electric forced induction system. You have to have a huge alternator and battery/capacitor, which is much less efficient than using a conventional turbocharger.

Typically it is paired in conjunction with a conventional turbocharger, and an electric turbo/supercharger supplements the turbo at low RPM to basically get rid of turbo lag. This article doesn't have a lot of details, but I think that's the type of system that this will be.

Here's a modified Ford Fiesta that Jay Leno looked at, I think its basically the same as what Audi/Volvo is going to try to produce.

Last edited by PhysicsDude55; 10-16-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:53 AM
stngh8r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing. That's pretty cool.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:59 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Although big power via electric forced induction may be quite a ways down the road the evolution has begun. We carry smartphones and wear activity / health monitoring watches that are eons beyond the first PC or MAC. Battery technology is developing at a rapid rate fighting for market share in developing technologies. We are now seeing Apple and Microsoft work with auto industry on "infotainment systems" as a means to satisfy rising expectations of technology integration. I agree we are not there yet but minds are open and at least one somewhat new path chosen in the quest for increased efficiency and power.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:31 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah but on a fundamental level, for an entirely electric forced induction sytem, you have to first create the electricity (inefficiencies involved) and then store the electricity (inefficiencies involved), and then run an electric motor (inefficiencies involved).

Even if you have excellent battery/energy storage mechanisms, the design of the system limits its efficiency.

The biggest advantage is that you would have control over how much boost you produce and when. You could create high boost at low RPM, or turn the supercharger off completely in "eco mode".

The only real application I see for this is to give the car a "boost" in short doses. Like a sport mode than can increase power for accelerating a few times and then has to recharge. It just isn't practical to create a lot of boost over a large range like a conventional turbocharger and supercharger.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

dude speaks the truth

the electric turbos on the market today are to crutch a larger turbo until it can spool and is only relevant for a relatively low CFM potential to give the car a kick

it will be a while before we see 800 hp electric turbos

takes alot of energy to pump that kind of cfm

I'm more excited about micro turbines powering a generator and then let the the electric motors power the wheel directly ala Jag CX75

when this technology is matured (and it's coming hard) we'll see 800+ electric cars that really scoot and can run battery only in the city and for short trips

I don't need a 200 mph range. give me 800 hp worth of power, and 50 mile on battery only. that would work for most of us

need the car to be light too!! I'm working on it.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:05 AM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I think we all have to open our minds a little here , look at the technology in F1 , the shaft of the turbo is connected to a machine.
A machine in these terms , is considered a generator , and a motor.
So under boost , it is used as a generator, and the power is stored, and when turbo lag is present,it is used as a motor,and power is applied to eliminate it.
A lot of new technology will come from this , and trickle down to road cars. As F1 rules change , they are presented with new problems to overcome and solve, and to me this is where a lot of innovative thinking takes place, so it will be interesting what the future holds.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:14 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

And then there's the Quant E limousine, salt water powered car, boasting some 900+ horsepower, with 5x the power storage ability of conventional lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries. Best of all, the electrolyte is what holds the charge, so you can even pull into a station and pump/exchange the electrolyte in minutes for another 400 mile run. Times are changing.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:40 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55
Yeah but on a fundamental level, for an entirely electric forced induction sytem, you have to first create the electricity (inefficiencies involved) and then store the electricity (inefficiencies involved), and then run an electric motor (inefficiencies involved).

Even if you have excellent battery/energy storage mechanisms, the design of the system limits its efficiency.

The biggest advantage is that you would have control over how much boost you produce and when. You could create high boost at low RPM, or turn the supercharger off completely in "eco mode".

The only real application I see for this is to give the car a "boost" in short doses. Like a sport mode than can increase power for accelerating a few times and then has to recharge. It just isn't practical to create a lot of boost over a large range like a conventional turbocharger and supercharger.
Originally Posted by Rkreigh
dude speaks the truth

the electric turbos on the market today are to crutch a larger turbo until it can spool and is only relevant for a relatively low CFM potential to give the car a kick

it will be a while before we see 800 hp electric turbos

takes alot of energy to pump that kind of cfm

I'm more excited about micro turbines powering a generator and then let the the electric motors power the wheel directly ala Jag CX75

when this technology is matured (and it's coming hard) we'll see 800+ electric cars that really scoot and can run battery only in the city and for short trips

I don't need a 200 mph range. give me 800 hp worth of power, and 50 mile on battery only. that would work for most of us

need the car to be light too!! I'm working on it.
You are both speaking to current technology and conventional means '''that you are aware of'''. The purpose of my post and the linked article is merely to shine a light on the "lighting of the fuse", not the main feature or end game. Audi as '''early adopter''' of newer technology for conservative street car application,,, not an 800 hp GT car.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:12 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I hope you are right but the laws of physics don't change,

it take alot of power to flow air and although turbos are easy to spin, pumping the air will take power, which has to come from somewhere

a nice big capacitor makes sense to me that could store up the juice until needed and dump a supply of power to the electric motor without having an alternator that takes 100 hp to spin (just for example)

thanks for posting this up, I'm excited about the technology, but IMHO, it will take some time for the power management and battery technology to catch up

more excited about micro turbines aka the Jag CX75 design
Old 10-29-2014, 11:01 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

" Ya Canna change tha Laws 'a Physics!" - M. Scott

Get notified of new replies

To It Was Only A Matter of Time: Electric Driven Forced Induction In Production Vehicle

Quick Reply: It Was Only A Matter of Time: Electric Driven Forced Induction In Production Vehicle