C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can (MM) for Novi build

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 12:10 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Catch can (MM) for Novi build

I am going to be purchasing a catch can soon and wanted to get some opinions on what I was thinking.

Build consists of:
- AI worked 243
- ECS Novi 1500
- Tick blower cam
- Meth

My intention was to get the Mighty Mouse PCV black can, with oil cap fill adapter. What size AN for inlet fitting with the oil cap outlet (-6, -8, -10)? Bigger the better?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2015, 07:20 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Bigger is better. The more you can vent the engine the better off you will be.

I think Blownbluezo6 just buys two of those jegs cans with breathers on them and mounts them on the rear cradle and runs -8AN or so lines from each valve cover to the cans. This will require welding bungs into your valve covers.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:45 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I just installed 2 MM cans. Ran -10 lines off the valve covers. Only 1 is needed but I wanted to use 2 to fill the space where my battery was.
I didn't want to weld on my new valve covers so I drilled and tapped for the -10 fittings. Its another option rather than welding.

David (Mighty Mouse) has great service and will gladly answer any questions if you contact him.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:02 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I have one of these I need to get rid of (had to buy two), if you are interested. Someone else has first dibs, but if they fall through I could let you know. $75. LPE charges $199.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=C54
Old 02-05-2015, 09:16 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

I shot Dave an email to see how to configure the can to have each valve cover connect to it. I think with the extra port it will work. Thanks for the input

@schpenxel - How is that can working out so far? Do you still have the oil cap breather in place?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:20 AM
mcshocks
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

He sells a oil cap with the AN fitting on it, I just put one on mine:
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2015, 09:21 AM
mcshocks
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2015, 09:40 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Nice! I was going to go with the oil cap on the passenger side but I also was wondering if I really needed to vent the driver side too. From what I've read I do but no where does it say at what level.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:52 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by nullpointer
@schpenxel - How is that can working out so far? Do you still have the oil cap breather in place?
I was looking at the MM catch cans too.. probably would have ordered one of those instead if I hadn't already ordered these. Everyone seems to speak highly of them.

I just got these in so I haven't really had a chance to mess around with them yet. Maybe this weekend. Hopefully installing Mantic 9000 next weekend.

I'm thinking about welding some large connectionsto the valve covers or something so that it has plenty of flow through the catch can. Not sure about leaving vented cap.. I don't think it would be needed if I had 1" lines going through this thing, but I'm not 100% sure. Also need to figure out the best way to connect it back to a vacuum source.

LPE has some documentation on this one that I need to get through, so I need to spend a little time reading that. I'm trying very hard to not have a setup that allows unmetered air in.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:53 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by mcshocks
Another
Oh man, that is nice! I'm going to contact him now.. I like that

ah, they are on eBay too. No idea of the quality though. $34, -10AN fitting

Or could do something like this welded to valve cover. If only I could weld worth a damn.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220064/overview/

Last edited by schpenxel; 02-05-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

I'm also using the MM PCV breather can and will agree that Dave Childress provides great customer service. You can somewhat see in the picture below that I'm using the -10AN oil fill fitting. I still need to finish routing everything and purchase fittings and hose.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:04 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
I'm also using the MM PCV breather can and will agree that Dave Childress provides great customer service. You can somewhat see in the picture below that I'm using the -10AN oil fill fitting. I still need to finish routing everything and purchase fittings and hose.

Are you only venting from the passenger side?
Old 02-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I also have Davids (MM) can and i had mine done from him to have 2 -8an lines in and 1 line out. I just purchased the lsx 376 valve covers and had -8an bungs welded in them and now have to sand them down to paint to match my car (i paint for a living and have some mag red already mixed so this mod costs $0.00) i will be running a -8 line from each valve cover to the MM can then out to the intake. David can do whatever you need done!! in whatever an size you want up to -10 i believe

Rick
Old 02-05-2015, 02:53 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by nullpointer
Are you only venting from the passenger side?
I am going to start off running a hose from the driver's side valve cover to the factory 90 degree hose barb on the passenger valve cover. Both valve covers would be venting through the -10 AN oil fill cap and into the can at the 'B' port. The fitting behind the throttle body will connect to the PCV valve at the 'A' port on the can. I will then run a hose from the valley plate hose barb to the inlet of the turbo compressor.

If this doesn't work out, I'll probably have a -10 AN fitting welded to the DS valve cover and tee in to the PS -10 AN hose.

Get notified of new replies

To Catch can (MM) for Novi build

Quick Reply: Catch can (MM) for Novi build