C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ecs instal

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 04:26 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

tuning, if you do it yourself:

get all of the stuff intalled on the stock engine, wideband and what ever. see how it is on the stock engine and learn what to log. im sure nobody will do it, we are impatient creatures. so, you can take out the blower and install the original tensioner with the original belt. yes, it will work. it will also work with the ecs tensioner in place, but i dont remember what belt you need.

then learn how to log the transmission. ist quite involved, i think, like there is no input shaft sensor on our cars and gm.tccp is not for the 4l60e and gives strage values. seriously, i think logging the trans is far more difficult than the engine. and its whats going to die on you first. it will be extremly dfficult to find out whats going on when the trans is giving problems without a solid baseline.

also get rid of the maf. there is no reson for it existing. even emissions are better without it. try and make life simple.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:53 AM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Romandian; what (engine) mods do you got except the supercharger? Could you give an overwiev of your setup?
If you are on stock internals, isn't it risky to go without the restrictor?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:56 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by CorvetteC5Norway
If you are on stock internals, isn't it risky to go without the restrictor?
if the tune is good you should be fine but you need to understand what you're dealing with, basically you can't get mad if something happens
Old 11-04-2017, 12:38 PM
romandian
Drifting

the engine is completely stock so far, except for the fuel system as per above. it will be getting new springs and rockers over the winter.

is it wise to take out the restrictor? it really depends what you are after. if you want no problems and just drive the car dont. i myself cant stop tinkering with cars, so i did. expect to see the limits of the belt the fuel system and the trans. get 100 ron for sure.

if your not tuning yourself i would not. when the car gives up the ghost you will not blame yourself but the tuner, no good for anybody.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:35 PM
romandian
Drifting

i changed from the "stock" 3.48 pulley to a shure grip 3.15, that is coated with some (tungsten?) carbide grains. it is smaller by 9%, as measured on the od of the belt and has flanges. the advantage is, that the belt wont jump anymore. disadvantage: you dont know in what direction it wants to go.

question to ecs/paxton: why dont you use flanged pulleys?

i used to have 180 kpa @5600 rpm. in theory i should be getting: 180 x 1.09 = 196, but i now see 200 kpa @ 5600 rpm. at 5900 boost rose from 190 to around 220, maybe higher. its hard to say, because things happen very fast at redline and as i still have a 2 bar map i have to use peripheral vision and the analog gauge. result are better than expected, probably due to less belt slip from the coating and rpm belt.

the idea behind the pulley is to have boost come in earlier and limit it at the top somehow. i shift at 5900 now, otherwise i would overboost the engine, the rise is very fast as it comes off the cam. im also at 54k at the impeller vs. 52k official redline. i wonder how much you can overdrive the sl units for short periods of time.
Attached Images  

Last edited by romandian; 12-03-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:05 AM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

Originally Posted by romandian
i changed from the "stock" 3.48 pulley to a shure grip 3.15, that is coated with some (tungsten?) carbide grains. it is smaller by 9%, as measured on the od of the belt and has flanges. the advantage is, that the belt wont jump anymore. disadvantage: you dont know in what direction it wants to go.

question to ecs/paxton: why dont you use flanged pulleys?

i used to have 180 kpa @5600 rpm. in theory i should be getting: 180 x 1.09 = 196, but i now see 200 kpa @ 5600 rpm. at 5900 boost rose from 190 to around 220, maybe higher. its hard to say, because things happen very fast at redline and as i still have a 2 bar map i have to use peripheral vision and the analog gauge. result are better than expected, probably due to less belt slip from the coating and rpm belt.

the idea behind the pulley is to have boost come in earlier and limit it at the top somehow. i shift at 5900 now, otherwise i would overboost the engine, the rise is very fast as it comes off the cam. im also at 54k at the impeller vs. 52k official redline. i wonder how much you can overdrive the sl units for short periods of time.

Removing the restrictor, and now pulley'ing down on stock engine and auto trans. Are you a basejumper as well?
Joke aside, the flanged blower pulley looks like a good idea. I guess it's possible to get one in the standard size as well. Where did you buy it?
Old 12-16-2017, 04:24 AM
romandian
Drifting

email sent.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:40 PM
romandian
Drifting

i replaced the ecs intake with this one. there were over two inches between rad an intake. i thought i could better that. please guess how much boost i picked up.

edit: the shreaded belt in the last picture is from when the ps pulley let go and waiting for the rpm belt to show up.
Attached Images     

Last edited by romandian; 12-28-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:15 PM
RpeterK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default duct

That part is no longer used on the C5. It was replaced with a 4" aluminum tube a long time ago at this point. The aluminum tube mounts the filter in clean air down around the bottom of the chassis cross member and forward off the rad. Was done basically at the same time as the new rad cover and hold downs were. I had posted some screen captures of the cad file for the rad hold downs and cover in april of 15. Parts were done some what later with the duct being the last part to change over.

i replaced the ecs intake with this one. there were over two inches between rad an intake. i thought i could better that.please guess how much boost i picked up.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:31 AM
romandian
Drifting

woud be nice to see a pict of the new air filter tube.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:00 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

What's that new tube made out of?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:22 AM
romandian
Drifting

glass fibre and epoxy. its rather massive, but i have plans, hang on.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:02 AM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

Hey Romandian, are you up and running? Miss you creative updates
Old 09-06-2018, 10:15 AM
romandian
Drifting

my last post on the intake seems to have disappeared last year. i just posted this and i cannot see it, so no idea whats going on.

anyways, the larger intake had no influence on boost or power, as far as i could measure (efilive). the original intake tube is perfectly o.k. up tp 6000 rpm and 205 kpa boost.

inspite of the substantial gains beeing posted by adding somke kind of funnel in front of the charger, this is what i have experienced.

​​​​​​​roman dian

Last edited by romandian; 09-14-2018 at 03:36 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:14 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

take the filter and tube off completely and it will probably pick up some more, how much will vary
Old 09-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 968 Likes on 782 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

i just posted this and i cannot see it, so no idea whats goin on

​​​​​​​roman dian
You can't see it because you posted in the parts for sale section
Old 09-07-2018, 11:55 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Smoken1
You can't see it because you posted in the parts for sale section

Get notified of new replies

To ecs instal

Old 09-11-2018, 06:47 AM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

Removing the restrictor, and now pulley'ing down on stock engine and auto trans. Are you a basejumper as well?
Joke aside, the flanged blower pulley looks like a good idea. I guess it's possible to get one in the standard size as well. Where did you buy it?
Looking at your pictures, it looks like your new flanged pulley is chewing on the sides of the belt quite hard. That i also what I've read is the downside with these pulleys.
Are you sure your sideways-adjustable spring tensioner is adjusted correctly? Mine where not, and thats why my belt was jumping one rib. After I got it adjusted its running perfect.

Last edited by CorvetteC5Norway; 09-11-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:43 AM
romandian
Drifting

Looking at your pictures, it looks like your new flanged pulley is chewing on the sides of the belt quite hard. That i also what I've read is the downside with these pulleys.
Are you sure your sideways-adjustable spring tensioner is adjusted correctly? Mine where not, and thats why my belt was jumping one rib. After I got it adjusted its running perfect.
that belt is the one that got damaged when the ps pulley let go, while waiting for the rpm belt. this one seems o.k., but the car doesnt see many miles, so you might be right. i got the pulley because of the coating, btw, and that is harder on the belt also, but it doesnt slip (so far).

Last edited by romandian; 12-05-2019 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:17 PM
04zjimc
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 98 Posts

so the installation or the main part of it will take place on the 23th of july. the local mecanic will let me work on his lift, while hes on vacation. the apprentice will be there, in case i need help.

i will be removing the rack, pinning the crank, breaking the bracket, installing all idlers and tensioner, the head unit and the belt. if im lucky i will drive home. how long is that goint to take? what do you reckon?

all the radiator stuff i will do over the weekend and the rest afterwards.

im going to lose the airpump and im seriously considering getting ridd of the ac as well.

good news: i found the dipstick. its the round head allen screw in the head unit.

questions:

1. does the upper side of the radiator really move back, as you have to cut the upper hose?

2. how are the aluminum brackets attachet to the upper radiator support? they seem to short, the hole woud be on the corner more or less. im tempted to make my own with 4 holes.

edit: forget this. i didnt realise the sides have to be cut off. the brackets will do fine.

3. as my mafless pipe has no provisions for the iat sensor, is it really a good idea to use the rubber gromet and original sensor? would anybody know of a "plug and play" screw in sensor? (i dont want to mess with calibrating it, have done that before).

4. i want to remote mount the map sensor, probably into the booster line. while i believe the original will stay in place after 15 years, if i take it out and put in the new one i wont ever be sure what its doing back there. besides i read that the map maniford can break, basically ruining the intake. good idea or not?

5. dough let me have a 2 bar sd tune to play with. should i flash it in, install the injectors and and test it on the stock car?

btw, if anybody wonders about the stock tune and would like to have anything logged, now is the time to tell me.
i am in the process of installing the same kit in my 04z..instructions are bad, i have a updated kit and old instructions. Still waiting for wires to extend my horns and some other stuff.i have wasted so much time trying to get answers but no calls you back emails take days!

Quick Reply: ecs instal