C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help picking fuel pump for 1200hp

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 02:18 PM
MrH00nel2
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Default help picking fuel pump for 1200hp

i have an f1x and i need help picking a fuel pump. external / inline and no mechanical pump please.

a single or dual pumps is ok with me.

update: thanks for all the help in picking a pump. i picked up a single mp-4303 with 10 feed and 8 return. using a holley hydramat in the tank

more than enough fuel

Last edited by MrH00nel2; 12-06-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:09 AM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Magnafuel 4303 with a good boost referenced regulator
The following users liked this post:
MrH00nel2 (12-06-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 07:51 AM
Almost_There_1
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What type of fuel do you plan on running?
Old 10-23-2015, 09:32 AM
MrH00nel2
Pro

pump and c16. no meth, or ethanol

thanks joeyg i have looked at magnafuel but havent used them yet.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:16 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Or the Magnafuel 4703.

Be careful about picking pumps based on HP ratings. I don't even know why they advertise that way because it's quite misleading and dead wrong.

You need to know how much fuel you need and then you need to know how much fuel the pump is capable of supplying at the end pressure you're going to run with the voltage supply at the pump.

If you're boost referenced, your differential pressure is your base pressure, however you will calculate your fuel pump flow at the base pressure plus the boost you're going to run. Ex. 58psi base pressure and 20psi boost, you will calculate pump flow at 78psi. You will calculate your injector flow at your base pressure, regardless of what it ends up being at top boost and only if you're boost referenced. If you're not boost referenced, you will calculate it at your base pressure minus the amount of boost you're running.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:22 AM
MrH00nel2
Pro

i just ordered a mp-4303 from race part solutions, i noticed they were next to the shop that does my work. thanks amazon
Old 10-23-2015, 11:34 AM
digivex
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Or the Magnafuel 4703.

Be careful about picking pumps based on HP ratings. I don't even know why they advertise that way because it's quite misleading and dead wrong.

You need to know how much fuel you need and then you need to know how much fuel the pump is capable of supplying at the end pressure you're going to run with the voltage supply at the pump.

If you're boost referenced, your differential pressure is your base pressure, however you will calculate your fuel pump flow at the base pressure plus the boost you're going to run. Ex. 58psi base pressure and 20psi boost, you will calculate pump flow at 78psi. You will calculate your injector flow at your base pressure, regardless of what it ends up being at top boost and only if you're boost referenced. If you're not boost referenced, you will calculate it at your base pressure minus the amount of boost you're running.

It's nice that Aeromotive does provide a chart of flow for pumps such as the Pro

I'm running mine off a 14.5vDC voltage supply

It's a shame I didn't see this post sooner as I have an extra Aeromotive Pro pump, Aeromotive Pro Boost reference regulator and pre (Peterson 100) & post (Fore 10) stainless filters. The pump was just shipped to Aeromotive, checked out, re-furbished and shipped back. It's almost the same as what I'm using in the car, except I am using a Fore F4i regulator at the moment. This pump has no problem running a 402 LSx / YSi combo with 160# injectors up through 8,000 RPM.

I guess it's good to have a backup sitting around. I even have a few extra pressure gauges -- I've got too many parts lying around

Old 10-23-2015, 12:12 PM
MrH00nel2
Pro

i had this big reply and since i was logged out it didn't post. well crap.

anyway thanks for the blownblue i am hoping the 4303 will work.

i am not a fan of aeromotive digivex but if this pump doesn't perform i will get it from you.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:40 PM
digivex
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrH00nel2
i had this big reply and since i was logged out it didn't post. well crap.

anyway thanks for the blownblue i am hoping the 4303 will work.

i am not a fan of aeromotive digivex but if this pump doesn't perform i will get it from you.
Sometimes it's better when those long posts don't go through

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. My parts are really hanging around as backup... But, if someone needed a setup like this I would be willing to discuss a sale - but, in no rush, don't need the $$$, not taking up much space and always good to have a spare on hand.

I don't have an opinion on brand... For me, it works: That's all I can ask for.

Thanks and best wishes with your build
Old 10-24-2015, 01:25 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

You want to make 1200 HP. Cool. Let's assume this is a gasoline engine.

So, with a little math you can get a real good idea on where you need to be. (Do your homework and use this at your own risk)

You can use Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (B.S.F.C.) to get close. B.S.F.C. Is
How much fuel you're using to make one Horse Power for One Hour. (You can google all this stuff) Most forced induction applications have a B.S.F.C. of about .6 (some a little higher some a little lower) but .6 B.S.F.C. is a good number to start at for an F.I. Combo.

So...

1200 (your desired HP) X .6 (Your B.S.F.C.) = 720 Lbs of fuel. So you need a pump capable of flowing at least 720 Lbs. of fuel per hour or 120 gallons per hour.

Still with me?? Ok.

So... Let's figure out a good ball park estimate on what you should expect to see for fuel pressure using a 1 : 1 regulator at 24 PSI boost. This is pretty simple....

It's 58 (LS1 base Fuel Pressure in PSI) + 24 (Amount of boost in PSIG) = 82 PSIG fuel pressure needed at the injector. So if your fuel pump is capable of 720 Lbs of Fuel Per hour or 120 Gallons Per Hour @ 78 PSIG, then you shouldn't have a problem supporting 1,200 HP. It would be a good idea to have a system that has some wiggle room as this is only an estimate.

You can also use B.S.F.C. to get a good idea on what injector size you need to have.

1200HP X .6 = 720 Lbs. per hour. 720 Lbs. / 8 injectors = 90 Lbs Per Hour.

90 / .8 (80% injector duty cycle) = 112 Lbs Per Hour injector @ 80% Injector Duty Cycle.

Looks like Digivex Dave's pump and some ID 1300's will work for you.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 10-24-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:50 AM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6

So, with a little math you can get a real good idea on where you need to be. (Do your homework and use this at your own risk)

You can use Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (B.S.F.C.) to get close. B.S.F.C. Is
How much fuel you're using to make one Horse Power for One Hour. (You can google all this stuff) Most forced induction applications have a B.S.F.C. of about .6 (some a little higher some a little lower) but .6 B.S.F.C. is a good number to start at for an F.I. Combo.

So...

1200 (your desired HP) X .6 (Your B.S.F.C.) = 720 Lbs of fuel. So you need a pump capable of flowing at least 720 Lbs. of fuel per hour or 120 gallons per hour.

Still with me?? Ok.

So... Let's figure out a good ball park estimate on what you should expect to see for fuel pressure using a 1 : 1 regulator at 24 PSI boost. This is pretty simple....

It's 58 (LS1 base Fuel Pressure in PSI) + 24 (Amount of boost in PSIG) = 82 PSIG fuel pressure needed at the injector. So if your fuel pump is capable of 720 Lbs of Fuel Per hour or 120 Gallons Per Hour @ 78 PSIG, then you shouldn't have a problem supporting 1,200 HP. It would be a good idea to have a system that has some wiggle room as this is only an estimate.

You can also use B.S.F.C. to get a good idea on what injector size you need to have.

90 / .8 (80% injector duty cycle) = 112 Lbs Per Hour injector @ 80% Injector Duty Cycle.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:51 AM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Or the Magnafuel 4703.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:04 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Or the Magnafuel 4703.

and it's because they're phucking "*********"
Old 10-24-2015, 10:36 AM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I created a spreadsheet that does all of this math, taking into account injectors/pump(s)/fuel type/bsfc/etc. and plots it out so you know what base fuel pressure for your setup will yield the highest efficiency of the respective system. It was attached to a thread that Blownbluez06 created for explaining fuel system function in excellent detail, and considerations when choosing setup. Unfortunately it turned into some vendors pushing products, and not the technical reference it was intended to be and the thread was pulled.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:59 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS99
I created a spreadsheet that does all of this math, taking into account injectors/pump(s)/fuel type/bsfc/etc. and plots it out so you know what base fuel pressure for your setup will yield the highest efficiency of the respective system. It was attached to a thread that Blownbluez06 created for explaining fuel system function in excellent detail, and considerations when choosing setup. Unfortunately it turned into some vendors pushing products, and not the technical reference it was intended to be and the thread was pulled.
I'll get that back up!

Sorry for the delay!
Old 10-24-2015, 11:03 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JDS99
I miss that thread.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:44 AM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKTPerformance
I'll get that back up!

Sorry for the delay!
Ha, no delay. Hopefully it stays clean this time! Op, Bret has sticky back up

Get notified of new replies

To help picking fuel pump for 1200hp

Old 10-24-2015, 02:07 PM
MrH00nel2
Pro

thanks for the info fellas
Old 10-24-2015, 02:12 PM
MrH00nel2
Pro

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6

So...

Still with me?? Ok.

Hope that helps.
i got the 4303 and 1650's
Old 10-24-2015, 02:34 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by MrH00nel2
i got the 4303 and 1650's
Hopefully you got the ANSU 1650's and not the cheaper ones.

Quick Reply: help picking fuel pump for 1200hp