C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay I want to learn how to tune!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:51 PM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Okay I want to learn how to tune!

How do I learn? The tuning school and start reading up? I have my boosted C5 and I have a bolt on G8, but I would love to learn how to sone tuning on cars and start wrenching on my own also.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:05 AM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

The tuning school is a good start, so is Calibrated Success
Old 10-27-2015, 01:45 AM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

read read and read some more, but on the positive side, tuning for power is the easy part, that's just fuel and timing adjustments. it's drivibility that's the hair puller.
this week, I've probably logged 20hrs in trying to get my car to idle right and not stall. it still stalls, but I got it some somewhat idle descent lol

I have the Master EFI tuner book, by Dan Maslic, calibrated success dvd by Greg?, youtube helps too, can find some tutorials on there. Those can help you get the basic logic of what you're doing.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:13 AM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

If you are new then I would try and find the hp tuners books basic and advanced. Trial and error. Talking with other tuners.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:41 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Just know you are taking on a hobby, you will most likely have countless hours into it.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:19 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Just know you are taking on a hobby, you will most likely have countless hours into it.
^^^^^ This

With that said, understanding why the "O.E.M.'s do what they do is way more important than going through the steps of making changes with in your calibration. As you go on, you will learn that even some who call themselves "pro Tuners" are ignorant and or Lazy / Stupid.

Ps.. Spend the money, Buy yourself a good quality Wideband. None of this LC-1 or AEM stuff. (ECM aka AFR 500 is a quality piece and in its base form can be had for a few hundred bucks)

The tuning school is a good place to start. They have their beginners and advanced HPT courses for GM vehicles. You will learn; you can bear it and sift through the massive amounts of BS, that everything you need and everything in those books that the tuning school offers can be found online for nothing more than your time and sanity.

Good luck and have fun!!
Old 10-27-2015, 11:25 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Time, patience, extra money for F ups and the willingness to learn!

All of which I do not have, so I just go to a pro and if he Fs up my junk, I just brake his knee caps! My tuner is still walking today! I guess I picked a pretty good one!
Old 10-28-2015, 12:26 AM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
The tuning school is a good start, so is Calibrated Success
I ll look into both I've never heard of Calibrated Success before.

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
read read and read some more, but on the positive side, tuning for power is the easy part, that's just fuel and timing adjustments. it's drivibility that's the hair puller.
this week, I've probably logged 20hrs in trying to get my car to idle right and not stall. it still stalls, but I got it some somewhat idle descent lol

I have the Master EFI tuner book, by Dan Maslic, calibrated success dvd by Greg?, youtube helps too, can find some tutorials on there. Those can help you get the basic logic of what you're doing.
Thanks and I can believe the drivability being the toughest part. Sounds like you keep busy working on it!!!

Originally Posted by SBCGENII
If you are new then I would try and find the hp tuners books basic and advanced. Trial and error. Talking with other tuners.
I ll search for that might be a good place to start.

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Makes sense especially not doing it all day everyday like some folks.

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
^^^^^ This

With that said, understanding why the "O.E.M.'s do what they do is way more important than going through the steps of making changes with in your calibration. As you go on, you will learn that even some who call themselves "pro Tuners" are ignorant and or Lazy / Stupid.

Ps.. Spend the money, Buy yourself a good quality Wideband. None of this LC-1 or AEM stuff. (ECM aka AFR 500 is a quality piece and in its base form can be had for a few hundred bucks)

The tuning school is a good place to start. They have their beginners and advanced HPT courses for GM vehicles. You will learn; you can bear it and sift through the massive amounts of BS, that everything you need and everything in those books that the tuning school offers can be found online for nothing more than your time and sanity.

Good luck and have fun!!
I am looking into widebands now I need a new one. I ll have HP tuners at some point to be able to run both a pump and race gas tune, but at that point why not learn how to do it on my own

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
Time, patience, extra money for F ups and the willingness to learn!

All of which I do not have, so I just go to a pro and if he Fs up my junk, I just brake his knee caps! My tuner is still walking today! I guess I picked a pretty good one!

I just want to put my computer science degree to work

Get notified of new replies

To Okay I want to learn how to tune!

Quick Reply: Okay I want to learn how to tune!