C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro's and Con's of a Magnuson SuperCharger

Old 11-05-2015, 10:48 AM
kevchr
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro's and Con's of a Magnuson SuperCharger

Hey all! I have a '98 Vert with 120k miles on it. I'm looking at installing a MP112 supercharger and was wondering what the experiences have been like for all of you. How much boost are you really getting? Did you rebuild the bottom end when you installed it, etc?
Thanks for helping out!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:12 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

Pros: unique powerband, lots of low end
Cons: addition cost of hood, IATs of a roots blower and controlling heat.

it's really preference. this may work for you, I'll go twins personally. but you probably already researched this and made your decision.

Last edited by FourG63 97GST; 11-05-2015 at 12:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kevchr (11-15-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 12:55 PM
kevchr
6th Gear

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
Pros: unique powerband, lots of low end
Cons: addition cost of hood, IATs of a roots blower and controlling heat.

it's really preference. this may work for you, I'll go twins personally. but you probably already researched this and made your decision.
I actually looked at the STS. I kinda liked the idea of the twins behind the wheels, but the location of the blow off valve concerned me. I'm still trying to figure out what happened with those guys. Using T3/T4 under the hood requires quite a bit more modification doesn't it?
Old 11-05-2015, 02:19 PM
Z_fox
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kevchr
Hey all! I have a '98 Vert with 120k miles on it. I'm looking at installing a MP112 supercharger and was wondering what the experiences have been like for all of you. How much boost are you really getting? Did you rebuild the bottom end when you installed it, etc?
Thanks for helping out!
Forged and stroked the block. Lowered the compression a tad and added methanol injection. Changed the pulley and get 8 lbs boost. Stock fuel pump is at its limit with a KB BAP and racetronix harness.

Love the power on demand and the MCM hood needed to clear the blower.
kevchr (11-15-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 02:38 PM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi
Great blower , been around a while but i love them .

Wish all the newer pd blowers sounded that good

kevchr (11-15-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 04:09 PM
whitelite
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Stock LS1, 10.5lbs boost.

See my sig for mods on a stock engine. Tuner is key.......Dan Millen at Livernois Motorsports is the key to it staying together.

Last edited by whitelite; 11-09-2015 at 04:10 PM.
kevchr (11-15-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 08:26 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 806 Likes on 532 Posts

if you can find a TVS, that'd definitely be better. at least try & find an intercooled 112.
also, remember that the 98 motors didn't have as strong of rods as the later years, so much above 500hp will be riskier.

boost is totally dependent on the rest of the car - from the pulley sizes you run to the size of your intake, cam, heads, exhaust, the weather...
a couple guys i used to talk to said even with full bolt-ons, their old 112 reached the point of diminishing returns around 11-12psi just because they got so hot.

a PD car really is a blast, though! especially if you do any driving that involves going fast while turning the steering wheel.

good luck on the build!

Last edited by _zebra; 11-15-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:59 PM
kevchr
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking to get more than 8 PSI on the boost. I live out in the hills of WV and we don't go straight for very long. LOL!! I'm really looking for something to upset the tuners out here. Something a little hidden under the hood on Vert is always a surprise.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:39 AM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by kevchr
Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking to get more than 8 PSI on the boost. I live out in the hills of WV and we don't go straight for very long. LOL!! I'm really looking for something to upset the tuners out here. Something a little hidden under the hood on Vert is always a surprise.
Can't hide that one under the hood. At least not a stock hood.
Those blowers "feel" great at part throttle but are disappointing when you really want to go.
The most popular blowers on this Forum are well designed centrifugal systems like ours.
You can get a brand new system including injectors, fuel pump, etc. for about $5000.

A&A CORVETTE
477 LAMBERT ST
OXNARD CA 93036
WWW.AACorvette.com

A&A CORVETTE SUPERCHARGER SYSTEMS
HOME OF THE WORLDS FIRST
CENTRIFUGALLY SUPERCHARGED C7

SUPERIOR ENGINEERING- SUPERIOR POWER
SUPERIOR PRICING- SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT

Andy@AACorvette.com 805- 278 4107
Old 11-16-2015, 08:30 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 806 Likes on 532 Posts

yeah unfortunately, a 112 is the opposite of stealth... but then again, so are centris & turbos (pretty much any FI kit). you'll hear them all either spinning, whining, or blowing off at some point. either way, it's still fun!
Old 11-17-2015, 02:47 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love your enthusiasm mate
Old 11-17-2015, 06:00 PM
M_T_0
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1999 6 speed vert, I put the maggie on a 100k block did heads and cam at the same time, Inovators west overdrive, and 2.9 6 rib on the snout, get 11.5 ~ psi and power as listed in sig. installed larger injectors 51lb I think. matched the ls6 head CC chamber for more compression and tuned it without the meth (took a little timing out of it for safety did 600 tq and 556 rwhp on dyno).

it has been going for over 30k miles and is a blast.

for the 98 the rod bolts are weaker but if you keep the stock rev limit you should be good, (the 97,98,99 all had the weaker bolts, the 97, 98 also had the thinner block sleeves)

you will need a heaver clutch or upgraded auto.

I have never had a heat problem (with the blower IATs), but then I have not spent much time at the drag strip pulling runs and then letting the car sit to heat soak between runs. for the drag strip cooling down the inter-cooler between runs is a pain.

the long life is all in the tune.

Last edited by M_T_0; 11-17-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:07 PM
M_T_0
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy@A&ACorvette
Can't hide that one under the hood. At least not a stock hood.
Those blowers "feel" great at part throttle but are disappointing when you really want to go.
The most popular blowers on this Forum are well designed centrifugal systems like ours.
You can get a brand new system including injectors, fuel pump, etc. for about $5000.
lots of respect for Andy, and i bought a lot of gear from him over the years. What he is saying is both correct and irrelevant at the same time (for me), if you want a track car, the centri setup is king but for low end grunt that makes you smile on the street maggies are great.
Evan Sanza (07-20-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Pro's and Con's of a Magnuson SuperCharger

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pro's and Con's of a Magnuson SuperCharger