C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin turbo C5 suddenly not building boost

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 12:12 AM
camaroguy72
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Twin turbo C5 suddenly not building boost

I recently dropped my car off while I was out of town to get a oil leak checked out. Turned out they replaced the oil filler neck, but it was still leaking. I drove the car home and if I recall, it was boosting correctly.

I went ahead and changed both valve cover gaskets and took it for a drive tonight. I'd like to think it is not related to the changing of valve cover gaskets, but now the car isn't boosting.

I'm getting 1-2 psi of boost , and the more I get on the gas the boost just fades.

Settings on the boost controller-
OBS-13
SP1- 0
Sn1- 20
Gp1 - 7

I'm not sure if the place I had check the leak out messed with the lines up front, but everything looks in place to me.

I have the UPP twin turbo kit with an eboost2 boost controller.

Where should I start? I visually checked the lines and connections and all appear to be intact. The lines going into the boost controller relay are clean and not dirty. Car was running fine minus the oil leak previously.

Here are some photos of the line routing
Attached Images     
Old 01-02-2016, 01:47 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

big ol boost leak somewhere
Old 01-02-2016, 05:20 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

i would connect the wastegates to the manifold directly with a new hose and see what happens. also maybe check if the wastegates are stuck open. you can connect a tire pump to the hose.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:48 AM
camaroguy72
Advanced

Originally Posted by romandian
i would connect the wastegates to the manifold directly with a new hose and see what happens. also maybe check if the wastegates are stuck open. you can connect a tire pump to the hose.
I'll try this and see what happens .. I assume I'm just checking for movement? Hoping to do this with them still installed on the car.

I once had a coupler with a hole in it from tire rub which still built boost. One of the couplers is pretty worn from tire rub issues, but doesn't appear to have a hole in it.

The turbos spool up and sound like they are moving a lot of air, but perhaps it is going through the waste gate.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:01 AM
camaroguy72
Advanced

Also.. when i dropped my car off at the shop to check for the oil leak, they did state they had the car idling in the shop for a very long time to check for leaks... could the excessive heat buildup cause the waste gates to stick open?
Old 01-02-2016, 10:21 AM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Those boost controller settings should pretty much be equal to the gate spring pressures. You just need to check all boost piping connections from turbos to throttle body.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:05 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

if turbos spool it will be a leak indeed. maybe blow off valves not behaving properly? it you had a big leak like that in the piping i bet you would hear it. if turos are fast spooling you might have someone listen for leaks while reving the engine.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:49 AM
camaroguy72
Advanced

I hooked up an air pump to the waste gates to check function.

1) Passenger side - disconnected at T before boost controller solenoid. Pumped air, initially air came out the dump pipe then the waste gate clicked/actuated and no more air through the dump pipe

2) Driver side- Disconnected at T before boost controller solenoid. Pumped air, no air out the dump pipe and no click/actuation from the waste gate

3) Both- Pumped air into the hose that was connected to the boost controller relay, so connected to both turbos. pumped air and couldn't get a click/actuation out of either side.

Sounds like the driver side waste gate is faulty... ?

I used one of those tall bicycle manual pumps. Pumped the passenger side first to see how much pressure it would take to get it to actuate before moving to the driver side. On the driver side, I pumped harder and still nothing.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:58 AM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Give CK a call and he'll get you taken care of.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:22 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

+1 for the boost leak. Check all the piping and couplers very carefully. Also, I happen to notice from the pic you have a catch can installed. One line to the intake manifold, the other to??? (I'm assuming the valve cover?) That's a sealed catch can, and I don't see a check valve in there at all. If that's the case that's 100% of your problems with the oil leaking out past seals. The boost is going into the can, then into the crank case (valve cover) and pressurizing it. You need a vented catch can with a breather filter, and NOT connected to the intake manifold.

You're also loosing some boost pressure through there, but not enough to justify your new non-boosting problem.

Hope this helps.

CK
Old 01-02-2016, 01:30 PM
camaroguy72
Advanced

Originally Posted by CK@UPPCOS
+1 for the boost leak. Check all the piping and couplers very carefully. Also, I happen to notice from the pic you have a catch can installed. One line to the intake manifold, the other to??? (I'm assuming the valve cover?) That's a sealed catch can, and I don't see a check valve in there at all. If that's the case that's 100% of your problems with the oil leaking out past seals. The boost is going into the can, then into the crank case (valve cover) and pressurizing it. You need a vented catch can with a breather filter, and NOT connected to the intake manifold.

You're also loosing some boost pressure through there, but not enough to justify your new non-boosting problem.

Hope this helps.

CK
Thanks Thanks ck. Can you send me a diagram of how it should be routed ? The car was like this when I bought it and it didn't quite make sense. And yes one side is connected to the hose which connects the two rear valve cover vents . is it as simple as putting a check valve in line or do I need to get a different catch can ? I basically have this crossover tube shown, which goes into the catch can... then out of the catch can is the line going to the intake which is T'd for the vacuum/boost reference. I believe the PCV valve is still in that line, but I haven't really checked or taken it apart to see what's connected to what.

Also, did you see above about the wastegates? All piping looks good and tight... looks like driver side waste gate is not functioning properly

Last edited by camaroguy72; 01-02-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:04 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Also just noticed you still have the vacuum line from throttle body to valve cover. That should be removed and capped at both ends.

For the catch can, I use a heavy duty inline check valve.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:10 PM
camaroguy72
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Also just noticed you still have the vacuum line from throttle body to valve cover. That should be removed and capped at both ends.

For the catch can, I use a heavy duty inline check valve.

Do you have a pcv system anymore or just vents ?
Old 01-03-2016, 11:32 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
big ol boost leak somewhere
Yup, mucking about with small pipes isnt going to find a solution to a no-boost scenario.

There is a big pipe off or split/damaged etc.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:34 PM
camaroguy72
Advanced

I can't see any air leaks, all hoses are attached and look good I get to 0 psi o the boost gauge pretty easy, from there is struggles to get to 1 or 2 psi. like I mentioned earlier, when revving the car up and letting off the gas, no air coming out of the driver side wastegate dump pipe , but it does come out of the passenger side
Old 01-03-2016, 04:39 PM
camaroguy72
Advanced

Also, when I start the car and at idle rhe blowoff valves on the intercooler are gushing out air ,
Old 01-03-2016, 05:50 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by camaroguy72
Also, when I start the car and at idle rhe blowoff valves on the intercooler are gushing out air ,
Thats an important thing to know. If you pull the hose off each blowoff valve, do they still leak at idle?

Get notified of new replies

To Twin turbo C5 suddenly not building boost

Old 01-03-2016, 05:54 PM
camaroguy72
Advanced

I'll check and advise . When I hit the gas a bit, they stop gushing air
Old 01-03-2016, 06:01 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroguy72
I can't see any air leaks, all hoses are attached and look good I get to 0 psi o the boost gauge pretty easy, from there is struggles to get to 1 or 2 psi. like I mentioned earlier, when revving the car up and letting off the gas, no air coming out of the driver side wastegate dump pipe , but it does come out of the passenger side
You would see 0 psi with the engine off, so that wouldnt be difficult.

If you're sitting stationary just revving the engine, of course you would not expect it to make boost, and nor should the wastegates be doing anything either. If one of the gates is venting exhaust gases that is a problem.

Highly unlikely even a totally open gate ( of a twin setup ) is enough to cause the engine to make no boost whilst under load though

Last edited by stevieturbo; 01-03-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:20 PM
camaroguy72
Advanced

The 0 comes pretty quickly when I'm driving. Say in 2nd gear and punch it, it goes from -17 to 0 pretty fast and does not build

At idle revving, nothing comes out of the driver side waste gate, only the passenger side. Not sure what that means

Quick Reply: Twin turbo C5 suddenly not building boost