C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honeycomb MAF screen for SC application: yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 02:28 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Default Honeycomb MAF screen for SC application: yes or no?

I have an 02Z with a P1 (10lbs) with stock MAF, so no screen.
It is the old dual IC, with the MAF just after the Y pipe from the IC's, and probably has a lot of turbulence. My tuner recommended installing a screen to reduce some of the turbulence, and make it a little smoother. I read good reviews on the Halltech which has the larger holes in the screen VS the GM kind. But then I read a review that if used with a SC, it would just fold the screen up with the added pressure.

So what is the consensus, do you guys run one, would it be worthwhile to try, or will it just fold up inside? I have a feeling most don't use, like cats, and since most didn't come with one stock, or people have gone to larger MAF's, TB's, etc.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:42 PM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

When I was on my P1 with near identical set up I had a honeycomb to help with turbulence. Now I'm speed density and do not have a Honeycomb or MAF in general.

You will need a stronger honey comb in the tube before the MAF. Here is what I did before:

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...w+Straightener

I was also using the LS3/LS7 style card MAF but I think you will be ok on the LS6 style.
The following users liked this post:
95wht6spd (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 12:37 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Thanks for the link, those are the 1/8" cell screens like the Halltech, but less expensive. Not sure if they are the same strength or not.

Did you notice an improvement when you added the screen?
Old 02-04-2016, 01:45 PM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Yep cleaned up the readings for my tuner. I used an epoxy like jb weld and let it sit over night. Ran 10psi through it with no issues at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Honeycomb MAF screen for SC application: yes or no?

Quick Reply: Honeycomb MAF screen for SC application: yes or no?