C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much timing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 06:54 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Very interesting.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:36 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

and to the original question, my very similar setup blew itself up big time with a tune with not much more peak timing. but every setup is different and I'd imagine the dynamic compression based on the cam is totally different for each car is all over the map. I'm not tuner and most of the guys in here have a lot more experience than I do with FI vettes but if it were me I'd pull the timing down a touch for peace of mind but just my $0.02
Old 03-16-2016, 01:30 PM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by neverstop
I believe ECS said there were like 200*+ differences between cylinders on a car they were tuning that had cylinder by cylinder EGT sensors on a ~1,000whp supercharged c6 setup. There was a thread in here somewhere too where they discussed but I don't see it now
I can see it now... :-) :

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591784730
Old 03-16-2016, 04:10 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

exactly, there have been other threads too that had this topic discussed within at some length. This dynamic has been reported and measured by more people than just doug at ECS too.

when I spoke to Julio at Alky control he also said that he always recommend putting the methanol nozzle as far away from the throttle body and as close to intercooler exit as possible and that he's seen this uneven cylinder flow be much worse with meth nozzles right at the throttle body.

I bet the 300* EGT temp differences are probably not tragic on the street or maybe even 1/4 mile runs but I'd bet at 1/2 and standing mile events could be why a lot of guys blowing stuff up. FWIW when my last ls2 blew up from horrible tuner with far too much timing it lost the front passenger cylinder and I had dual M15 tips on it at the time. I remember being surprised at the time thinking weird for it to not blow up #7 but makes sense now.

Last edited by neverstop; 03-16-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:36 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Said it before, I'll say it again. It has less to do with the timing and more to do with meth and how it gets used.

Boosted C5/C6 logic = shotgun a bunch of meth into your charge pipe and then blame everything else but the meth when the motor blows because "everyone is doing it"

Meth sucks. It's good for making more power than pump gas alone allows but you will always be rolling the dice because of UNEQUAL CYLINDER DISTRIBUTION. Nobody wants to ever talk about this, it gets brought up every now and then but the topic never gets any traction.

Just because some well respected members on here are running triple nozzles of meth doesn't mean it's smart or the best way. Meth will never be able to touch what E85 (or race gas) can do for you.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:28 PM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
Said it before, I'll say it again. It has less to do with the timing and more to do with meth and how it gets used.

Boosted C5/C6 logic = shotgun a bunch of meth into your charge pipe and then blame everything else but the meth when the motor blows because "everyone is doing it"

Meth sucks. It's good for making more power than pump gas alone allows but you will always be rolling the dice because of UNEQUAL CYLINDER DISTRIBUTION. Nobody wants to ever talk about this, it gets brought up every now and then but the topic never gets any traction.

Just because some well respected members on here are running triple nozzles of meth doesn't mean it's smart or the best way. Meth will never be able to touch what E85 (or race gas) can do for you.

Direct port meth injection is a pretty simple solution. 3GPH nozzle in each intake runner will get it done!
Old 03-23-2016, 05:31 PM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Where is the line draw on how much is too much and starts to become issue. Is 2 10 gph nozzles efficient then beyond that gets messy?

Is the solution to run a carb style intake and maybe that distributes meth better?

Problem is I cant readily get E85 at a pump and its not easy to put flex fuel in a C5 anyways. Which leaves having a drum of race or E85 so meth and pump becomes much more convient.

Not expecting you to have all the answers really just thinking outloud.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:14 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Which also causes uneven cylinder distribution, we were able to really see this on our cars with EGT sensors. 300* difference front to back on a 1000rwhp car. A lot of meth doesn't like to turn 180* into the front cylinders!
Where are the screenshots of datalogs to support the claims of a delta between the front and rear cylinders? The airflow has to take the same path for each of the cylinders. There isn't an extra turn thrown in there for the front cylinders.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:20 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Do you have a computational fluid dynamics model to quantify the deltas for each cylinder and map out the unequal distribution?

Meth will never be able to touch what E85 (or race gas) can do for you.
That's a bold statement. Are we talking meth injection or meth as the sole fuel source. Anyone making 2500hp on E85?
Old 03-24-2016, 01:07 AM
Milan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
Do you have a computational fluid dynamics model to quantify the deltas for each cylinder and map out the unequal distribution?

That's a bold statement. Are we talking meth injection or meth as the sole fuel source. Anyone making 2500hp on E85?
No, but I have tested it on other vehicles that have the ability to log individual cylinders, and through deductive reasoning I came to the conclusion that this platform isn't magically different.

Maybe spend less time splitting hairs and more time learning how to keep your car running
Old 03-24-2016, 01:11 AM
Milan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Robert 2000
Where is the line draw on how much is too much and starts to become issue. Is 2 10 gph nozzles efficient then beyond that gets messy?
You will never know without being able to log timing (and ideally AFR) on every cylinder.

LSx platform is amazing for making power, but we are severely limited by our PCMs, and some of the standalone systems really aren't that great while the ones that are are way too expensive for me to afford.

That's why I moved to a different platform (N54). Yeah we aren't making as much power yet but tuning/development is more fun.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:36 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

No, but I have tested it on other vehicles that have the ability to log individual cylinders, and through deductive reasoning I came to the conclusion that this platform isn't magically different.
Fallacy much? You must have missed a few semesters. Here, I'll help you out. Your claim isn't based on deductive reasoning.

Deductive example:

- Corvette Forum claims that all corvettes with 800 rwhp run 9s in the quarter.

- Milan's corvette has 900 rwhp.

Conclusion: Milan's corvette runs 9s in the quarter.

This example although valid is not sound. Your corvette has yet to produce a 9 second timeslip and video.

Milan's Inductive example:

- I have tested meth distribution on vehicles that have the ability to log individual cylinders.

- The corvette platform isn't magically different from these other vehicles.

Milan's Conclusion: The C5 corvette has UNEQUAL CYLINDER DISTRIBUTION.

You took a specific case and then made a general statement without a guarantee or facts to support the claim.

Maybe spend less time splitting hairs and more time learning how to keep your car running
There is always more to learn. You could take a few lessons and learn how to make a pass down the dragstrip. 4th gear pulls strapped to a dyno aren't very challenging.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:46 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Where are the screenshots of datalogs to support the claims of a delta between the front and rear cylinders? The airflow has to take the same path for each of the cylinders. There isn't an extra turn thrown in there for the front cylinders.
turn to cylinder 1 and 2 is way sharper and methanol is heavier than air. same dynamic happens on wet nitrous kits all the time on every platform I've sprayed. If you research you'll see this is a common issue and is why direct port is done on bigger shots. If you search on here you'll find posts where Doug discusses the EGT temp diff between cylidners.

Doug and I believe Vengeance also only run up to dual M10 tips and I believe that is the biggest they go.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:03 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Look at this picture and explain how the air flow path is different (sharper) between the cylinders. The air flows along the bottom floor of the intake and the angle of approach is almost identical for each port. Same runner length, same turning radius, what is different?
Old 03-25-2016, 07:55 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Look at this picture and explain how the air flow path is different (sharper) between the cylinders. The air flows along the bottom floor of the intake and the angle of approach is almost identical for each port. Same runner length, same turning radius, what is different?
I agree..

I see way more variance on plugs from the left bank to the right bank then front to rear.

I'd like to know why #5 and 7 are always the leanest/hottest of the bunch..

I have ran dual M15 nozzles for 11k miles, and never noticed a difference on the #1 & 2 cyls.

I do think that e85 is a better fix for this though. I'll likely be going to E85 and dropping the meth down to dual M10s.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:12 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I'd like to know why #5 and 7 are always the leanest/hottest of the bunch..
Good question and that's what I was wondering as well.

Can someone see it from the manifold pic above?

I have ran dual M15 nozzles for 11k miles, and never noticed a difference on the #1 & 2 cyls.
What kind of difference would you expect, if EGT's vary between front and rear cylinders - as mentioned by Doug - but there's not yet knock?

Well, maybe the previous sentence has too many if's? :-) But anyway, I guess you do not monitor EGT's and also haven't had any knock on front cylinders, which is good of course.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:34 AM
Milan
Safety Car

blah blah blah
Actually if you want to get academic on me it would abductive reasoning. Really it can be any form of reason depending on how my conclusions were drawn.

Come get your hoopty through tech inspection up here at a real NHRA track and then you can go back to telling Corvette forum how cool you are for racing in the 1/4 mile once every 3 years.

Until then I'll be driving my car...because it actually runs

Last edited by Milan; 03-25-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Too much timing?

Old 03-25-2016, 02:23 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

part of it is because the manifold is designed for air flow and methanol or fuel/nitrous have different weights and flow characteristics, mostly because they are "heavier" and so have momentum to them. to be non scientific.

I think doug was loggin over 1/2 mile and standing mile pulls and seeing 300* differences. not sure what you use your car for aj but I'm sure a 1/4 mile would show less of an issue.

Doug has run 8 second cars and has EGT data to back it up so to claim there is no difference with meth on the front two cylinders, you can have your opinion but I'm going with the guy who builds thousands of supercharged vettes and logged results with individual cylinder EGT sensors. I think with logged data across more than just one intake manifold and more than just one setup, it's not really up for debate but you can of course believe what you want.

best i can tell about #7/8 running different is because of the coolant flow. the australian fwd cars or other setups in sand rails, boats, etc where they flip the intake manifold, #7 and #8 still run leaner/hotter so it's not the intake manifold. my #5 doesn't run leaner at least just reading the plugs, it's 7/8 for me but mostly just 7.

one trick I use is to read the plugs and see which cylinders are running hottest/leanest and then just put my highest flowing injectors on those cylinders.

I'd love to run e85 but it's not readily available in my area.

Last edited by neverstop; 03-25-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:35 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Actually if you want to get academic on me it would abductive reasoning. Really it can be any form of reason depending on how my conclusions were drawn.

Come get your hoopty through tech inspection up here at a real NHRA track and then you can go back to telling Corvette forum how cool you are for racing in the 1/4 mile once every 3 years.

Until then I'll be driving my car...because it actually runs
LOL!

Oh snap....
Old 03-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

LOL!

Oh snap....
That's experience bro... :-)

Quick Reply: Too much timing?